Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

ru4por 12-12-2020 11:48 PM

I don't know how much science is actually being used for this article, but it certainly highlights the scary aspect of viral spread. Just to remember, COVID is not really even that contagious in the big picture. This is why restaurants and bars are closed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/u...id-spread.html

hiflyer 12-13-2020 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova P (Post 3668565)
I'm just bummed that years ago I lost the M17 gas mask that my weird Marine brother-in-law gave me. I'd honestly feel a lot safer in that mofo than with a little bit of fabric.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3668571)
If the M17 gas mask has an exhalation valve it will protect you but not those around you. Last time I had a doctor's appointment they wouldn't let me in with a mask that had an exhalation valve.

So I guess they wouldn't let me in with this one either?

;-P

Jay Dub 12-13-2020 12:30 PM

My niece the nurse (she works children hospice, mostly in home :( ) shared this post from her superiors.

Quote:

ďDonít clock in more then 3 minutes early, Do not stay past your shift, Do your hourly rounding, Complete all your electronic charting, Answer their family phone calls, make sure we get a 5 star rating on surveys, I know your maxed out but I need you to take another one, Youíre doing a great job but I canít pay you what you deserve because we just bought Ipads to keep customers happy....Ē

Weíve been understaffed and over worked waaaay before covid. I donít dread the hospital because of the work I have to do, itís the expectations that are put on nurses from people who sit in an office .....that is unbearable.

Today I was floated to the covid floor and took care of the patients that needed me. One particular patient started tanking on me and I did what I needed to do to make sure he was okay. I held his hand, through gloves, plastic, and my capr and asked him how he was.... He whispered, ď You are doing a great jobĒ.....

THAT is why I keep coming back and do what I signed up to do.....As ugly as this world is, there are still some beautiful people. I helped him and he helped remind me of why I do what I do.

ThrowaEnvy 12-13-2020 12:53 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/7516130/a...ld-gatherings/https://globalnews.ca/news/7516130/a...ld-gatherings/

CoVid loves a house party and Christmas gatherings! Apparently this is a new psa ad.

ru4por 12-13-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3668718)
My niece the nurse (she works children hospice, mostly in home :( ) shared this post from her superiors.

ďDonít clock in more then 3 minutes early, Do not stay past your shift, Do your hourly rounding, Complete all your electronic charting, Answer their family phone calls, make sure we get a 5 star rating on surveys, I know your maxed out but I need you to take another one, Youíre doing a great job but I canít pay you what you deserve because we just bought Ipads to keep customers happy....Ē

Weíve been understaffed and over worked waaaay before covid. I donít dread the hospital because of the work I have to do, itís the expectations that are put on nurses from people who sit in an office .....that is unbearable.

Today I was floated to the covid floor and took care of the patients that needed me. One particular patient started tanking on me and I did what I needed to do to make sure he was okay. I held his hand, through gloves, plastic, and my capr and asked him how he was.... He whispered, ď You are doing a great jobĒ.....

THAT is why I keep coming back and do what I signed up to do.....As ugly as this world is, there are still some beautiful people. I helped him and he helped remind me of why I do what I do.


Much truth here. Some of it is pretty universal. Short staffing and budget concerns are the way of life for healthcare systems right now. They all lost their azz, while shutting down the elective procedures that are their bread and butter. Healthcare is a very competetive field, scoring high on customer service is the yelp of the industry, in today's social media world.

The rest is the reality of the profession. Seems melodramatic and made for a TV movie, huh? EVERYDAY, nurses and clinician do this work, nearly ten months. Your niece is a hero, a soldier and warrior. There is no pot of gold at the end, she will not pass go, nor collect any reward. She will probably lose unused vacation time, get her annual 2% pay raise and the admiration of some of the compassionate folks around her. If you cannot find this a reason to wear a freakin' mask, eat take out and stay the fluck at home...you got to be a cold, soulless, shell.

ru4por 12-13-2020 03:32 PM

PLEASE READ THIS

This is the best, closest to the truth, recount of my experiences with COVID, that I have read. It is a brutal account, that forced me to stop, in tears several times. I have been fortunate to only have a couple close friends go through COVID, but I know, too well, the quiet, untold half of this story. I lived the pain and triumph of families with multiple members going through this. Damn, I need this to be over. Even seeing this nightmare up close, I still cannot imagine the heartache of families like this. If you get the chance, please get the vaccine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-...110042316.html

DavidSauls 12-14-2020 08:56 AM

I started reading that, but just skimmed through the rest. It's a reminder that 300,000 isn't just a number to be cavalierly dismissed, but an awful lot of tragedies -- multiplied by a several degrees of magnitude, for the pain in the lives of the millions who lose loved ones.

autocrosscrx 12-14-2020 09:20 AM

Yeah, I started reading that and decided that I've witnessed enough in real life to get the concept.

Riverdog 12-14-2020 10:20 AM

A little change up. I wear your basic non-N95 hospital mask, all day, every day at work. Since I have a full beard I "twist" the ear elastics 180 degrees to seat the mask more firmly. Recently I noticed that as the day went along I was developing a mild headache. Same this morning. Made a bathroom trip and after as I'm washing my hands I glanced in the mirror and both my ears were an alarming cyanotic purple. What the hey?? Hmmmmm... I pulled the mask off and untwisted the elastics and put it back on. Voila, pink ears, albeit a little familially over large. [emoji16][emoji23] And the headache is gone. [emoji106]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThrowaEnvy 12-14-2020 11:15 AM

Reminds me of a joke:

Guy goes into the doctor with a terrible headache, he says "Doc I've had this headache pretty much for 10yrs ever since I went to college" . Doctor does some tests and x-ray and call the man back. "We have discovered your problem, it looks like your testicles are bunched into your spine and it's created a blockage, it's radical but if we neuter you it will go away"

Left with no other option the guy says sure and gets it done. He wakes up from the procedure and the headaches gone, he can think again and is overjoyed.

He's walking around town and sees an old tailor shop. He figures the new him needs some new duds.

He's greeted by an ancient looking old man, and tells him he wants a whole new suit. The old fella looks him up and down and hands him a shirt, "try this on and I will find your pants" .

The man says "but I haven't given you my size"

"I've been doing this a long time sonny, this shirt is a 44T it's your size"

Sure enough the shirt fits perfect, and this continues he hands him pants, then a suit jacket, perfect fit every time.

The fella is looking so good and he's so impressed by the guy he says I might as well get new socks and undies too, leave the old me clothes in the trashcan and walk out a new man.

The old fella hands him some socks and a pair of large underwear.......

The guy says "Ha!! I got you, I'm not a large! I've been wearing medium underwear since high school!"

The tailor says: "no you're a large, if you wear medium it will push your balls up against the base of your spine and give you a horrible headache"

DavidSauls 12-14-2020 04:11 PM

I saw this sentence in a news article, about the timeline for future vaccines, and wasn't sure if it made me happy or sad:

"Johnson & Johnson cut its enrollment in its last-stage clinical trial from 60,000 to 40,000 because the virus is so widespread that data on efficacy is coming in faster than the company expected. "

Jay Dub 12-14-2020 08:09 PM

abc national news had a poll that asked if you'd take the vaccine.

40% said yes
40% said yes but wants to wait
15% said no.

Emoney 12-14-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3669210)
abc national news had a poll that asked if you'd take the vaccine.

40% said yes
40% said yes but wants to wait
15% said no.

Most of them have no choice but to wait anyway.

I def know some ppl that wont take it....

When the time comes and i have the option. I will use the same critical thinking i use for everyday decisions.

JedV 12-14-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3669219)
Most of them have no choice but to wait anyway.

I def know some ppl that wont take it....

When the time comes and i have the option. I will use the same critical thinking i use for everyday decisions.

Unfortunately, enough abstainers can jeopardize herd immunity. And some abstainers are likely to die a preventable death.

ru4por 12-14-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3669221)
Unfortunately, enough abstainers can jeopardize herd immunity. And some abstainers are likely to die a preventable death.

I feel wrong admitting it, but I do take some solace in the role reversal. Eventually the selfish deniers will only be able to hurt other selfish deniers, opposed to selfish deniers being able to hurt those grown up enough to care about others. :o Karma?

DavidSauls 12-14-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3669221)
Unfortunately, enough abstainers can jeopardize herd immunity. And some abstainers are likely to die a preventable death.

Yeah, but in the meantime, they move up my place in line by stepping out of it.

JuanA 12-14-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3669223)
I feel wrong admitting it, but I do take some solace in the role reversal. Eventually the selfish deniers will only be able to hurt other selfish deniers, opposed to selfish deniers being able to hurt those grown up enough to care about others. :o Karma?

I was just listening to this exact thing on the radio on the way home. I don't know the guy's name since I tuned in mid-show...I'll look for it.

He was talking about the deniers hurting people who can't take the vaccine but would like to, such as people undergoing treatment for cancer, those with compromised immune systems, etc., so it won't just be deniers at risk.

DavidSauls 12-14-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3669228)
I was just listening to this exact thing on the radio on the way home. I don't know the guy's name since I tuned in mid-show...I'll look for it.

He was talking about the deniers hurting people who can't take the vaccine but would like to, such as people undergoing treatment for cancer, those with compromised immune systems, etc., so it won't just be deniers at risk.

Did you have to spoil a sweet, vengeful thought so quickly?

JuanA 12-14-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3669231)
Did you have to spoil a sweet, vengeful thought so quickly?

I laugh because I thought the same thing when I heard it on the radio. :D

Here's the podcast if anyone's interested:

The U.S. Approves a Vaccine

ru4por 12-14-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3669228)
I was just listening to this exact thing on the radio on the way home. I don't know the guy's name since I tuned in mid-show...I'll look for it.

He was talking about the deniers hurting people who can't take the vaccine but would like to, such as people undergoing treatment for cancer, those with compromised immune systems, etc., so it won't just be deniers at risk.

BOOOOOOOO. Lol, while this is true, I again will take solace in knowing these folks are not likely to be out and about enough to bump into a ton of antivaxxer deniers. Ha....back on my vengeance train.

Ess-dog 12-14-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3669223)
I feel wrong admitting it, but I do take some solace in the role reversal. Eventually the selfish deniers will only be able to hurt other selfish deniers, opposed to selfish deniers being able to hurt those grown up enough to care about others. :o Karma?

They will also hurt little kids with cancer and such that canít be vaccinated, but these types of deniers find solace in thinking those kids were destined to die anyway.

R-Ogre 12-15-2020 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ess-dog (Post 3669240)
They will also hurt little kids with cancer and such that canít be vaccinated, but these types of deniers find solace in thinking those kids were destined to die anyway.

Itís all worth it to prevent Medicare death panels from killing grandma.

Nova P 12-15-2020 01:57 AM

Predicting it now:

One nanosecond after the first person in the US gets the first jab with a vaccine on television, every chin-diapered, dicknosed, or entirely maskless CHUD will begin defending their lack of face covering by lying that they have had the vaccine.

It doesn't matter that this is not even how it works. It'll give them a confounding lie to throw at their accusers, and that's all that matters.

JedV 12-15-2020 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova P (Post 3669272)
Predicting it now:

One nanosecond after the first person in the US gets the first jab with a vaccine on television, every chin-diapered, dicknosed, or entirely maskless CHUD will begin defending their lack of face covering by lying that they have had the vaccine.

It doesn't matter that this is not even how it works. It'll give them a confounding lie to throw at their accusers, and that's all that matters.

Yeah, that is sadly inevitable. Excellent use of the word chud :D

hiflyer 12-15-2020 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova P (Post 3669272)
Predicting it now:

One nanosecond after the first person in the US gets the first jab with a vaccine on television, every chin-diapered, dicknosed, or entirely maskless CHUD will begin defending their lack of face covering by lying that they have had the vaccine.

It doesn't matter that this is not even how it works. It'll give them a confounding lie to throw at their accusers, and that's all that matters.

Too bad we can't give out ID cards verifying one has recieved the vaccine. They're easy to print and a picture could be added with minimal effort.
No card? Put your darned mask back on!!

The added effort would surely prove to be a deterrent for most Chads and Karens

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3669274)
Excellent use of the word chud :D

I'll second that!

DavidSauls 12-15-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova P (Post 3669272)
Predicting it now:

One nanosecond after the first person in the US gets the first jab with a vaccine on television, every chin-diapered, dicknosed, or entirely maskless CHUD will begin defending their lack of face covering by lying that they have had the vaccine.

It doesn't matter that this is not even how it works. It'll give them a confounding lie to throw at their accusers, and that's all that matters.

Some may, but many maskslackers I know are proud to proclaim their fearlessness -- uh, ignorance -- and aren't going to admit to getting vaccinated, even in a lie.

peabody 12-15-2020 07:39 AM

We don't know if you can still spread the virus after being vaccinated.
My guess is that masks will be required for everyone until either 70%+ are immunized or the positivity rate is less than 2%.

jakebake91 12-15-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peabody (Post 3669297)
We don't know if you can still spread the virus after being vaccinated.
My guess is that masks will be required for everyone until either 70%+ are immunized or the positivity rate is less than 2%.

That's been my question along all this too. Can the vaccinated individuals still be asymptomatic spreaders? Tried to somewhat research but was quickly discouraged by all the political BS that came up in my searches.


So I turned on Simons Vlog instead lol

Binky Yutz 12-15-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiflyer (Post 3669275)
Too bad we can't give out ID cards verifying one has recieved the vaccine. They're easy to print and a picture could be added with minimal effort.
No card? Put your darned mask back on!!

The added effort would surely prove to be a deterrent for most Chads and Karens



I'll second that!

Brilliant idea, but why stop there, ID's can be faked....how about a nice forehead tatoo...OR

you must be a Star Belllied Sneech, in order to enjoy your freedumbs.....

DavidSauls 12-15-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3669302)
That's been my question along all this too. Can the vaccinated individuals still be asymptomatic spreaders? Tried to somewhat research but was quickly discouraged by all the political BS that came up in my searches.


So I turned on Simons Vlog instead lol

The answer seems to be, unknown. As I understand it, they didn't test for this in the trials.

peabody 12-15-2020 09:39 AM

Common sense tells me that you can still breathe in (nose or mouth) the virus and at least for a while expel it with diminishing viral load over time.( maybe a few hours up to a day or two)

autocrosscrx 12-15-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3669235)
BOOOOOOOO. Lol, while this is true, I again will take solace in knowing these folks are not likely to be out and about enough to bump into a ton of antivaxxer deniers. Ha....back on my vengeance train.

I think a lot of people underestimate the number of at risk people that really aren't able to shield themselves during the pandemic. I'm figuratively bumping shoulders with cancer patients and other at risk people every day at work.

dysmike 12-15-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3669340)
I think a lot of people underestimate the number of at risk people that really aren't able to shield themselves during the pandemic. I'm figuratively bumping shoulders with cancer patients and other at risk people every day at work.

I think a lot of people don't actually think about that. Nor, to be honest, do they really care. Until it affects them.

autocrosscrx 12-15-2020 11:07 AM

I guess one of my big frustrations with this is how we put people in these compromised situations in the name of "the economy" or whatever, then someone tests positive and we blame them for being "irresponsible".

It isn't because they had to come in to work and then ate lunch, it is because of their lifestyle outside of work. Or we blame at risk people for not staying home when we are the reason that they are out and about trying to earn a living.

hiflyer 12-15-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binky Yutz (Post 3669305)
Brilliant idea, but why stop there, ID's can be faked....how about a nice forehead tatoo...OR

you must be a Star Belllied Sneech, in order to enjoy your freedumbs.....

No need for a forehead tat. Just a bar/QR code on your neck, or a RF tag under your skin. This way there is no need to carry around a drivers license, insurance card, credit cards, AAA card, vehicle registration, theme park annual passes.

Or we could just take ones word for it. Because, you know, everyone is 100% honest, 100% of the time.

R-Ogre 12-15-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peabody (Post 3669297)
We don't know if you can still spread the virus after being vaccinated.
My guess is that masks will be required for everyone until either 70%+ are immunized or the positivity rate is less than 2%.

There’s early data on the Moderna vax that looks like it will dramatically reduce if not completely eliminate transmission. As far as I can tell from immunologists/virologists with the Pfizer it’s a case of “well it most likely reduces or even eliminates transmission based on what we know so far but we don’t want to positively say because we just don’t have data yet”.

Countchunkula 12-15-2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova P (Post 3669272)
Predicting it now:

One nanosecond after the first person in the US gets the first jab with a vaccine on television, every chin-diapered, dicknosed, or entirely maskless CHUD will begin defending their lack of face covering by lying that they have had the vaccine.

It doesn't matter that this is not even how it works. It'll give them a confounding lie to throw at their accusers, and that's all that matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3669274)
Yeah, that is sadly inevitable. Excellent use of the word chud :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiflyer (Post 3669275)
I'll second that!

Both chud and dicknosed in the same sentence! Brilliant! It's like michael caine and gene hackman in the same movie!

Hampstead 12-16-2020 12:08 AM

As of now, I'm operating under the assumption that masks and restrictions will mostly carry on until 2022. This isn't going away any time soon, vaccine or not.

peabody 12-16-2020 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3669731)
As of now, I'm operating under the assumption that masks and restrictions will mostly carry on until 2022. This isn't going away any time soon, vaccine or not.

We don't know how long the vaccine will last.
4 months to more than a year is what I'm seeing.
6 shots a year for the rest of your life? That would suck.
2022 to de-mask is probably a conservative estimate. Might just be forever. That would suck.

autocrosscrx 12-16-2020 09:42 AM

On a personal level, I may continue to wear masks in public places forever. Regardless of the virus. I wouldn't want to go to a baseball game or a restaurant and wear a mask, but for things like the grocery store or waiting in line to vote or renew my tags or something? Sure.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.