Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

teemkey 01-20-2021 01:54 PM

The Portland VA is scheduling vaccinations 1/19 - 1/30 using Pfizer-BioNTech. I'm in on the 23rd.

Quote:

Do not come to the vaccine clinic if you have a fever, cough, or are otherwise feeling ill. Please cancel your appointment, and we will work with you to reschedule it.

Please arrive 5 minutes early to your appointment, not sooner. If you arrive earlier, please stay in your car until your appointment time. This will help us keep the clinic from becoming overcrowded.

You will be required to wear a mask and maintain social distancing during your vaccination visit. If a caregiver accompanies you, they should stay in the car during your visit unless you absolutely cannot manage without them.

You will be observed for at least 15 minutes after your vaccination to ensure you don't have a reaction to it. The risk of a serious reaction appears to be very low - approximately 1 in 100,000.

medic5888 01-21-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanJon (Post 3682626)
Just received notification at my place of work that I am now eligible.

I'm a First Aid Team member so we were given priority (barely anyone is working at any physical location, but I have been).

Looks like it will be the Moderna version.

Excited, but also nervous which I think is normal.

I understand the nervousness but take it from someone who has had the vaccine, I have not had any weird side effects, other than a sore arm which is normal with any injection. I did feel crappy for a few hrs after the 2nd shot, but well worth it.

DavidSauls 01-22-2021 07:07 PM

Just to complicate things on a local level, one of my bubblemates tested positive for covid and the flu today (despite having had a flu shot).

JedV 01-22-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3683876)
Just to complicate things on a local level, one of my bubblemates tested positive for covid and the flu today (despite having had a flu shot).

Catching influenza despite receiving a vaccine happens. The formulation of the vaccine is based on predictions of what 3 or 4 strains they expect will reach a given part of the world. These predictions are imperfect.

DavidSauls 01-22-2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3683902)
Catching influenza despite receiving a vaccine happens. The formulation of the vaccine is based on predictions of what 3 or 4 strains they expect will reach a given part of the world. These predictions are imperfect.

Yeah, I realize that. But the vaccine reduces the odds....which makes for even longer odds to catch both, at the same time.

DavidSauls 01-22-2021 10:06 PM

....it also means I have to worry and, if I get symptoms, I won't be sure how much I should panic. Flu (despite my flu shot) or the Big C?

ejvogie 01-22-2021 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3683902)

Which is exactly why I've never gotten a flu shot. Do plan to take the Rona vaccine when it's offered though

Monocacy 01-22-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Flu levels are almost nonexistent, so that's surprising. Might be time to, um, re-think your bubble. :rolleyes:

Best wishes for the covid side of things. As miserable as the flu is, I'd take that over covid.

And, just for the record, most years the flu vaccine is pretty effective.

DavidSauls 01-22-2021 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3683932)
Flu levels are almost nonexistent, so that's surprising. Might be time to, um, re-think your bubble. :rolleyes:

Best wishes for the covid side of things. As miserable as the flu is, I'd take that over covid.

Actually, my bubble's pretty tight. Then again, my state's aflame. The lesson is that even if you're very careful, there's no guarantee. Of course, I knew that.

robdeforge 01-23-2021 09:51 AM

https://imgur.com/a/Y9jGBVe

not a good look for discraft by posting it on their official page, or for paul and co. in general.

autocrosscrx 01-23-2021 10:15 AM

Kona Panis did a video the other day. Played a casual with Colton Montgomery, Dave Dunipace, and Jerry Ross. It was a fantastic video.

They weren't wearing masks, which is whatever at this point. However, she felt the need to step out and explain why that was okay. She said that Dave and Jerry were in her bubble. But given that they all don't live together and that happened upon each other at the disc golf course and that they didn't appear to have any precautions for when you interact with other groups at a crowded park, they are probably exposed to a variety of people. And that isn't how bubbles work.

I hate to single anyone out, but I get more frustrated by that stuff than the people like Luke Humphries that simply don't acknowledge Covid.

Halcón 01-23-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medic5888 (Post 3683297)
I understand the nervousness but take it from someone who has had the vaccine, I have not had any weird side effects, other than a sore arm which is normal with any injection. I did feel crappy for a few hrs after the 2nd shot, but well worth it.

I've reconsidered, after everyone I know, including my primary care physician, told me to get the shot. So I signed up, and am getting the first dose on Wednesday. I've talked to a few people who have had Covid and received the vaccine, and they said it caused some of the symptoms to come back, especially after the second dose. So, since I had it pretty bad the first time, I really don't want Covid symptoms again.

I guess all this is to say I'm trying to justify my nervousness. :p

Ess-dog 01-23-2021 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3683987)
Kona Panis did a video the other day. Played a casual with Colton Montgomery, Dave Dunipace, and Jerry Ross. It was a fantastic video.

They weren't wearing masks, which is whatever at this point. However, she felt the need to step out and explain why that was okay. She said that Dave and Jerry were in her bubble. But given that they all don't live together and that happened upon each other at the disc golf course and that they didn't appear to have any precautions for when you interact with other groups at a crowded park, they are probably exposed to a variety of people. And that isn't how bubbles work.

I hate to single anyone out, but I get more frustrated by that stuff than the people like Luke Humphries that simply don't acknowledge Covid.

The only person on dg vids I’ve seen seem to be consistently masking is Andrew Fish. So don’t really have to single anyone out. It’s all of them.

Brodysseus 01-23-2021 08:05 PM

The whole masked before their tee shot, stick mask in pocket, throw, go back into group and not put the mask on move was the most used play on tour this year.

Halcón 01-23-2021 09:45 PM

Just out of curiosity, how many pro disc golfers have been infected with Covid.

Innova63 01-23-2021 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3684117)
Just out of curiosity, how many pro disc golfers have been infected with Covid.

How many have actually been tested...?

Nick Pacific 01-24-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3683932)

Technically, the flu vaccine, to some extent, is always effective. Even if they guess the strain wrong, getting vaccinated for the wrong flu strain still offers some partial immunity to the strain that ends up circulating. Something new I learned recently that surprisingly isn't common knowledge. I always thought like most people that it's all or nothing.

robdeforge 01-24-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innova63 (Post 3684119)
How many have actually been tested...?

IMO best to just ignore hal... certified troll

Jay Dub 01-28-2021 09:07 AM

At midnight tonight Ohio curfew for bars and restaurants goes from 10PM to 11PM because the numbers have been under 3500 (hospitalizations) for 7 days straight. Under 2500 for 7 days it goes to midnight then under 2000 for 7 days (I think) and it's lifted.

We are heading in the right direction here.

DavidSauls 01-28-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3683919)
....it also means I have to worry and, if I get symptoms, I won't be sure how much I should panic. Flu (despite my flu shot) or the Big C?

My life is plagued with coincidental correlations; why should this be different?

So the 3 days after I was exposed, a day after he got quite sick and the afternoon after he tested positive for both, I got sick -- but with milder symptoms.

Well, 2 covid tests (including PCR) and 1 flu test later, all negative, it's most likely that I managed to get sick with something else, right after being exposed. Which is the kind of coincidental correlation that constantly throws me off track (usually with mechanical and computer issues). I took the negative results with mixed feelings; if I'm only going to be mildly sick for a week, I'd prefer it was covid, with the hopes of a little immunity.

Meanwhile, my bubblemate is suffering from something far worse than "just a flu", which makes me feel better about the "negative" results.

Monocacy 01-28-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3685633)
. . . I took the negative results with mixed feelings; if I'm only going to be mildly sick for a week, I'd prefer it was covid, with the hopes of a little immunity.

Glad you are negative, David. I think many of us have hoped that a seasonal cold would be a mild case and confer immunity. But much better to get vaccinated than roll the dice.

And please, try not to die before I get a chance to play your course. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3685633)
Meanwhile, my bubblemate is suffering from something far worse than "just a flu", which makes me feel better about the "negative" results.

Yeah, even a "mild" case of COVID (meaning, anything short of hospitalization) can be miserable and highly worrisome, from what I hear. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to your bubblemate.

DavidSauls 01-28-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3685691)
Glad you are negative, David. I think many of us have hoped that a seasonal cold would be a mild case and confer immunity. But much better to get vaccinated than roll the dice.

And please, try not to die before I get a chance to play your course. ;)

Yeah, even a "mild" case of COVID (meaning, anything short of hospitalization) can be miserable and highly worrisome, from what I hear. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to your bubblemate.

Since he's my brother and course co-owner, and about 70% responsible for Stoney Hill, your oneday visit might depend more on his recovery than my luck. He's not in the hospital yet, but he's about as bad off as a person can be in this own home.

Slightly less personal, I know doctors don't do house calls any more, but my doctor is doing car calls. The office is open for non-covid suspects, but for those of us with exposure, we park in a special parking lot and they come out, dressed like spacemen. With one result that the music in the waiting room was the best I'd ever experienced.

Monocacy 01-28-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3685722)
Since he's my brother and course co-owner, and about 70% responsible for Stoney Hill, your oneday visit might depend more on his recovery than my luck. He's not in the hospital yet, but he's about as bad off as a person can be in this own home.

Double extra special best wishes to your brother, and apologies for any of my previous remarks that may have been overly flippant.

dysmike 01-28-2021 03:44 PM

That's even how our vets office is operating. I hope your brother recovers well and soon!

DavidSauls 01-28-2021 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3685729)
Double extra special best wishes to your brother, and apologies for any of my previous remarks that may have been overly flippant.

No worries. My only offense is at the covidiots. I'm already flippantly thinking that the last 100' of fairway and tee constructed on a steep hillside, may not get finished in time for a March tournament. Odds are greatly in his favor of pulling out of this, but I'm not betting on it being quickly.

DavidSauls 01-28-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3685730)
That's even how our vets office is operating. I hope your brother recovers well and soon!

One of my other bubblemates is a veterinary surgeon, and I understand they've been meeting petowners in the parking lot since this began. Of course, they take the patients inside, without their humans; my doctor just checked me over through the open car window.

sidewinder22 01-28-2021 05:21 PM

^ Makes me question the test results.

I had my 1st shot last week of the Pfizer, just a sore shoulder the next day. #2 is day after Super Bowl. I still do wonder if I had Covid about a year ago exactly.

Monocacy 01-28-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3685778)
^ Makes me question the test results.

Positive results with approved COVID tests are highly reliable.

False negative results, on the other hand, are fairly common even with the PCR test. Ability to detect the virus depends greatly on when the sample is taken:

Over the 4 days of infection before the typical time of symptom onset (day 5), the probability of a false-negative result in an infected person decreased from 100% on day 1 to 68% on day 4. On the day of symptom onset, the median false-negative rate was 38%. This decreased to 20% on day 8 (3 days after symptom onset) then began to increase again, from 21% on day 9 to 66% on day 21. The false-negative rate was minimized 8 days after exposure—that is, 3 days after the onset of symptoms on average. As such, this may be the optimal time for testing if the goal is to minimize false-negative results.

Variation in False-Negative Rate of Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction–Based SARS-CoV-2 Tests by Time Since Exposure | Annals of Internal Medicine 18 Aug 2020

DavidSauls 01-28-2021 06:43 PM

Along those lines, my doctor tooks swabs for both the rapid and PCR tests; she explained that if the rapid test was positive they'd throw away the PCR swab, but if the rapid test was negative they'd send off the PCR. Basically, that a low-level of virus would cause a false-negative, but a positive would be believed. (And I got the pleasure of her tickling the back of my eyeball with the swabs 4 times, instead of twice).

Monocacy 01-28-2021 10:20 PM

Novavax says its Covid-19 vaccine is 90% effective, but far less so against one variant | Stat

The Novavax COVID vaccine was 89.3% effective in a Phase 3 trial of 15,000 participants aged 18-84 in the UK. The “UK variant” (B.1.1.7) caused more than half of the PCR-confirmed symptomatic cases in this trial. This is the first real world trial that demonstrates protection against the UK strain. Protection was calculated to be 95.6% against the original COVID strains and 85.6% against the UK variant.

Novavax also conducted a smaller (4,400 participant) Phase 2b trial in South Africa where > 90% of infections were caused by the emerging “South African variant”. In this trial the Novavax vaccine was 60% effective for people not infected with HIV (49% effective for all trial participants).

The Novavax vaccine is based on the COVID spike protein, and can be stored at refrigerator temperatures. Phase 3 trials are underway in the U.S., which has a contract to buy 100 million doses if the vaccine is approved. Novavax is a small local biotech company so I am rooting for them to succeed.

Laboratory tests suggest that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines protect against the UK variant, but are less protective against the South African (B.1.351) and Brazilian (P.1) variants. The South African and Brazilian variants seem to share similar spike protein mutations, which may enable those strains to reinfect people who have recovered from infection with older COVID strains.

Gosh, getting COVID more than once doesn’t sound fun.

Johnson & Johnson is expected to report vaccine trial results soon, including participants from Brazil and South Africa.

Moderna, Pfizer, and Novavax are developing booster vaccines to protect against emerging COVID strains. The big advantage of mRNA and protein-based vaccines is that they can be updated relatively quickly, although it remains to be seen how much data the FDA will require before approval.

In general, vaccines seem to trigger a stronger and more effective immune response compared with getting COVID. If you have the choice, get vaccinated rather than getting infected! :)

teemkey 01-29-2021 02:09 AM

For all of you wondering about the variants ... good article here.

Quote:

B.1.1.7
Alternate names: 501Y.V1 and VOC 202012/01
Geographic association: United Kingdom
Number of countries reporting cases: 70
Increased transmissibility: Yes
Increased disease severity/mortality: A “realistic possibility”
Vaccine efficacy: Still effective

In early December 2020, researchers and officials in the UK began warning of a new variant that seemed to be spreading abnormally fast while carrying an unusually large number of mutations—23. The first record of the variant in the UK stretched back to two samples taken from infected people on September 20 and September 21. In a matter of weeks, the variant began making up a larger and larger proportion of total cases there. Researchers quickly suspected the variant had evolved to become more transmissible—that is, it's able to spread more easily from person to person.

501Y.V2
Alternate name: B.1.351
Geographic association: South Africa
Number of countries reporting cases: 31
Increased transmissibility: Suggested, but not determined
Increased disease severity/mortality: Not determined
Vaccine efficacy: Still protective, but efficacy reduced

In mid-November, health officials in South Africa began noticing that a new variant was quickly overtaking other variants circulating in Eastern Cape, Western Cape, and KwaZulu-Natal provinces. The variant was picked up in routine sequencing, with the earliest samples dating back to October. On December 18, officials announced the variant, which they dubbed 501Y.V2 because the variant—like B.1.1.7—carries the worrisome N501Y mutation. Though this similarity initially caused some confusion between the two variants, genetic analyses have clarified that 501Y.V2 did indeed arise independently, further supporting the evidence that N501Y is advantageous for the virus.

P.1
Alternate name: 501Y.V3
Geographic association: Brazil
Number of countries reporting cases: 8
Increased transmissibility: Suggested, but not determined
Increased disease severity/mortality: Not determined
Vaccine efficacy: Not determined

In December, COVID-19 cases began rising in Manaus, Brazil. This puzzled researchers. The city had already been hard hit by the pandemic, with an estimated 75 percent of the population already thought to have been infected by October. Somehow, cases were surging again in December, leading researchers to dig into why. One possible explanation is the emergence of a new variant, dubbed P.1.

BogeyNoMore 01-29-2021 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3685722)

My best to Chris for a quick recovery!

ru4por 01-29-2021 09:19 AM

Hey David, my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for your brother. Stay safe and double down with your own precautions.

Variants.....christ, because we all have not struggled enough. I guess my pragmatic take is that masks, precautions and managing the ignorance that surround us is going to stay a part of our lives for much longer than any of us hoped. Just testimony that we all must come to terms with a "new normal".

I received my second vaccine last week. Things went about the same as the first, for me. Arm was not as sore, but about 4 hours after the shot, I felt awful. Fatigue, loss of appetite, solid headache. The following morning, I had a half day of a back ache. Not such a bad price to pay. Next up...my 80 y/o Mother and 90 y/o Father in Law. Then on two my two sisters, their spouse, their children and spouses. That is 11 people, some very far down the line, that need vaccination before the vaccine mean anything more than I am safe.

I truly fear, that if we thought covidiots were an issue now, just wait until the only thing they have to protect is others. Once they are safe, I can't see where they will suddenly have a concern for anyone else.

dysmike 01-29-2021 03:55 PM

I figure we're going to be dealing with this for at least another year. The anti-vax disinformation campaign means that we'll probably never hit more than 50-60% (like influenza vaccination), which as we have actually seen in Brazil is no where close to the numbers needed for herd immunity.

Get used to this being the new normal, or change.. but I rather suspect the former.

ru4por 01-29-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3686075)
I figure we're going to be dealing with this for at least another year. The anti-vax disinformation campaign means that we'll probably never hit more than 50-60% (like influenza vaccination), which as we have actually seen in Brazil is no where close to the numbers needed for herd immunity.

Get used to this being the new normal, or change.. but I rather suspect the former.

Agree. You know my fear is that, given the propensity for mutation that we already seen, we will be chasing COVID around like the flu. Continually working to develop vaccines and boosters to keep pace. All the while, given its newer, higher contagious nature and higher mortality rate (from the flu), that we will just be in a perpetual state of masks, social distancing and such. I need my damn social life back.

dysmike 01-29-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3686078)
Agree. You know my fear is that, given the propensity for mutation that we already seen, we will be chasing COVID around like the flu. Continually working to develop vaccines and boosters to keep pace. All the while, given its newer, higher contagious nature and higher mortality rate (from the flu), that we will just be in a perpetual state of masks, social distancing and such. I need my damn social life back.

Maybe we'll luck out, and any vaccines at least aid in mortality... so it leaves those who refuse to just attrit naturally.

(wow, did I just actually say that? :sick: )

Monocacy 01-29-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3686078)

You could be right but I am more optimistic. More vaccinations = fewer infections. Fewer infections = fewer chances for the virus to mutate. Also, fewer infections should = better contact tracing and genomic surveillance.

And if any troublesome variants do show up, suitable mRNA and protein vaccines can be developed very quickly (unlike current flu vaccines, which have a long lead time).

COVID can clearly mutate, but it doesn't seem to be a mutation factory like viruses such as influenza and HIV. Current vaccines are partly effective against the Brazilian and South African variants, and booster shots are in development to target that family of mutant strains.

So I am guardedly optimistic, FWIW.

DavidSauls 01-29-2021 05:12 PM

I'm hopeful that, in addition to vaccines, treatments will improve to lessen the severity of the disease for those who catch it in spite of the vaccine (or even the unvaccinated).

R-Ogre 01-29-2021 07:45 PM

I’m a little more optimistic, I think we’ll see a close semblance of normality by late summer. I don’t think it will be eradicated, more likely it will be somewhat endemic and seasonal Iike flu, but it will be manageable. BTW I’m perfectly cool if we keep up with masking in public places during respiratory virus season and more importantly people with any kind of symptoms staying the frack home long after this is done.

dysmike 01-29-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3686165)
BTW I’m perfectly cool if we keep up with masking in public places during respiratory virus season and more importantly people with any kind of symptoms staying the frack home long after this is done.

I always liked this whenever I was in Japan.