Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Weatherizing baskets (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137836)

Alexplz 10-21-2020 05:42 PM

Weatherizing baskets

Hey all, I picked up a Black Hole Lite on an Amazon deal.

Consists of black coated steel piping and galvanized chain. Anyone had success adding an extra layer of protection to keep these things happy outside?

I was thinking maybe a coat of Rustoleum clear enamel from head to toe. Or maybe not, if these seem to do OK outside in the PNW...

joecoin 10-22-2020 11:06 AM

I had several cheap baskets with rusty chains. Bought some Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound Spray.

Covered the rust nicely, don't know how effective it is, only sprayed the chains 2 months ago. So far so good.

They sure look a lot better.

Horsman 10-22-2020 11:28 AM

When you put the Galv Compound on them does it rub off on your putters at all. My home course a decade ago used to spray paint their baskets every year and it would make up your putters pretty terribly.

Casey 1988 10-22-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsman (Post 3647089)
When you put the Galv Compound on them does it rub off on your putters at all. My home course a decade ago used to spray paint their baskets every year and it would make up your putters pretty terribly.

They forgot to use the clear coat spray to keep from having to reapply every year and go every 2-3 years. The clear coat spray will keep the spray paint from sticking to the discs better, not perfect but way better. :)

Dthunderchicken 10-23-2020 10:09 AM

If I ever have to recoat my basket I plan to use a spray on galvanizing compound that is used to coat electrical conduit. In the past I've used it in work related applications and it holds up very well.

Casey 1988 10-23-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken (Post 3647458)
If I ever have to recoat my basket I plan to use a spray on galvanizing compound that is used to coat electrical conduit. In the past I've used it in work related applications and it holds up very well.

Very Good News about the Rustolum Cold Galvanizing Compound.

joecoin 10-24-2020 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsman (Post 3647089)

If I ever make a putt, I'll let you know.

Just kidding, so far this compound has not rubbed off. I have run my hands down the chains and nothing comes off.

zontar 10-24-2020 08:37 AM

compound spray is pretty effective. my basket stayed outside for years with little effect

Casey 1988 10-24-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecoin (Post 3647785)
If I ever make a putt, I'll let you know.

Just kidding, so far this compound has not rubbed off. I have run my hands down the chains and nothing comes off.

Thanks for the even better news <3 :)

txmxer 10-24-2020 10:13 PM

I’ve considered pulling the chains and painting my baskets while still new

Can’t see how you could effectively do anything to the chains.