Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   TD's Corner (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   SMS Service for Tourney's (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135927)

davetherocketguy 02-11-2020 01:00 PM

SMS Service for Tourney's

Was wondering if anyone had an app or service they use to send out texts to players registered for a particular tournament? What I am looking to do is the following:

- Player registers for a tournament
- Player has option to sign up for text alerts.
- TD does not have to manage a zillion different numbers. Just sends a message that gets broadcast to everyone who has signed up for the alerts.
- TD has the option to use the SMS alerts for 2 minute warning - but the official 2 minute warning still comes from a horn.
- TD can use the SMS to notify players when the 2nd round is starting.

(etc etc etc)

- Players can unsubscribe on their own at any time.

Thoughts? I have to believe this would be especially useful where there are players who do not use any social media whatsoever to stay in touch with them. There's a rather large contingent of players near where I live that have nothing to do with social media at all and the only way they communicate is via text or call.

-Dave

ToddL 02-17-2020 10:28 AM

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I'm investigating the same thing.

Also (not in an accusatory way), please remember that the PDGA Sanctioning Agreement contains this: "I agree not to use any personal player information acquired through this event for any other purpose than to contact the player in regards to this event. Any unauthorized use of personal player information not explicitly agreed to directly by the player will be considered a violation of this sanctioning agreement."

Using bulk SMS is a great solution to communicating important event information to players, but it should be limited to event information. Schedule changes, course/pool information, weather alerts, etc. Not advertising for the fly mart or offering coupon codes for the autograph session...

davetherocketguy 02-17-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddL (Post 3549795)
Sorry I don't have an answer, but I'm investigating the same thing.

Also (not in an accusatory way), please remember that the PDGA Sanctioning Agreement contains this: "I agree not to use any personal player information acquired through this event for any other purpose than to contact the player in regards to this event. Any unauthorized use of personal player information not explicitly agreed to directly by the player will be considered a violation of this sanctioning agreement."

Using bulk SMS is a great solution to communicating important event information to players, but it should be limited to event information. Schedule changes, course/pool information, weather alerts, etc. Not advertising for the fly mart or offering coupon codes for the autograph session...

Ahhh good point. Yeah, my intentions have nothing to do with advertising just purely related to the event itself. Regardless that's a good thing to keep in mind.

I'm kind of thinking that this would be something offered as an option. Just because you sign up for my tourney does not mean you're automatically signed up for the SMS. That's something the players would do separately on their own. I suppose if it's handled that way it would be outside of the sanctioning agreement. Still though, I personally do not want to annoy people with adverts.

Future_Primitive 02-17-2020 02:24 PM

Have you reached out to Pete Crist (DGS/PDGA) about adding this feature to Disc Golf Scene? If you set up a tournament on DGS and do registration through there it seems like an easy solution to add a Tournament Notifications option.