Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Newbie Intros and Q&A (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Hello from Dallas and Newbie Advice (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136130)

GMR45 03-09-2020 08:04 PM

Hello from Dallas and Newbie Advice

Hello from Dallas, TX. I recently got back from a family trip to Hawaii, where the place we were staying had a full disc golf setup, and I absolutely loved it and decided I want to get into the sport.

As a bit of background, I used to play golf quasi-competitively (still play to a low single digit handicap) and love everything about it except for the time it takes both to play a round and also that would be required to meaningfully improve (much tougher to do as you approach scratch obviously), as well as the cost. I'm always up for new challenges and tend to get a bit obsessive about new things, and could see disc golf as being a fantastic outlet for me.

That said, I wanted a little advice about the best way to go about getting into this. For one, I'd love some advice as it regards the equipment I should start with. On one hand I'm obviously a rank beginner and have never played disc sports before in any real capacity, but on the other hand I think it's very likely that I can probably generate significantly more speed than what most think of when they think "beginner" given that I'm in my early 30s, average over 115mph of driver clubhead speed in golf, and back in high school when I played competitive baseball I could hit a ball out of a regulation-sized ballpark (as a 16 year old). As another point of reference, the discs we were throwing around in Hawaii (the latitude 64 "Maul") I was able to get out there around 300-350ft throwing sidearm (which felt a lot more natural given my lack of training throwing backhand). Obviously discs are not super expensive and I can always buy others as my game changes, but I want to make sure I'm throwing something that will help me improve, not just that helps me play to a relatively basic level.

On that front, as far as technique and such, I've been watching some videos online as to proper form and think that as I practice it will come to me pretty naturally as conceptually it is pretty similar to other sports I've played to a high level (e.g. "snap," etc.), but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to speed up that process, rather that be in-person lessons, online resources, etc.

In any event thanks in advance for any guidance and glad I found my way here!

disco40 03-09-2020 08:53 PM

If you're that long naturally with a forehand, you're probably going to love the Firebird. But the flip side of that is it can mask some deficiencies in form.

People will say throw lots of putters and mids, and they're not wrong. Can't go wrong with a Buzzz or Roc for a mid if you want to learn backhanded throwing (you'll need it in your skillset if you want to be good). Field work = driving range. It's a sport and injuries are very real, especially for forehand throwers, just something to keep in mind.

With both a golf and baseball background, you've got a great head start. Other people will have deeper advice than me. Cheers!

GMR45 03-09-2020 09:16 PM

Thanks for the advice! I would like to transition to playing predominantly backhand if I can (largely because of the injury risk you allude to--that side of my body is already susceptible to repetitive use injuries from golfing), but I'm sure it's going to take a while until it feels natural just given the difference the position of the shoulder vs the other sports I've played.

I'm considering starting by buying a pack of 4 or 5 putters so that I can work on consistency in the field before heading on the course--is that a good idea, or no? Curious why the suggestion of Buzzz or Roc, specifically? I was looking at the Judge or Warden since they seemed to be relatively neutral well-reviewed putters, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing so again any help appreciated!

disco40 03-09-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMR45 (Post 3559828)
Thanks for the advice! I would like to transition to playing predominantly backhand if I can (largely because of the injury risk you allude to--that side of my body is already susceptible to repetitive use injuries from golfing), but I'm sure it's going to take a while until it feels natural just given the difference the position of the shoulder vs the other sports I've played.

I'm considering starting by buying a pack of 4 or 5 putters so that I can work on consistency in the field before heading on the course--is that a good idea, or no? Curious why the suggestion of Buzzz or Roc, specifically? I was looking at the Judge or Warden since they seemed to be relatively neutral well-reviewed putters, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing so again any help appreciated!

The Buzzz and the Roc are just the two most time-tested, classic midranges. Both are great discs and most people like the feel of at least one or the other.

GMR45 03-09-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disco40 (Post 3559839)
The Buzzz and the Roc are just the two most time-tested, classic midranges. Both are great discs and most people like the feel of at least one or the other.

:thmbup:

Odedge 03-11-2020 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMR45 (Post 3559828)

I putt with the Warden after trying 3 other discs and think it's a great disc for putting. It is very neutral with a little fade with longer putts [depending on your form and such]. I think the Judge is basically the same disc but with a bead [which I don't really like].

I would find a putter you like first, then go for a pack, which will definitely speed up your putting practice. I just bought a 5 pack of Wardens for this very reason. One tip... don't throw your putting putter, but a different one for upshots or tee drives.

TheOtherBill 03-11-2020 09:14 AM

Depending on the area you live, there are several retailers that carry both new and lightly used discs and will likely be able to offer on-site advice from other players who work there. Avoid big box like Academy, their selection is designed to catch your eye but not the kind of discs that will improve your game. Although your background may benefit for the Shryke for FH throws, I've seen tons of those unsold there.
Let me know if you're in North Dallas and want to get in a round :)

jenb 03-11-2020 09:15 AM

There are so many discs out there now, you can spend a lot of time and money testing discs from different manufacturers that turn out to be functionally identical. I don’t think there are a lot of discs out there that do anything that isn’t already covered by an innova disc. They just gave the biggest variety of molds. If you get familiar with the innova lineup, then you can use a chart, like the Marshall Street Flight Guide, to compare other discs and identify ones you want to try out.

One putter that is often touted as the best putter and no one has anything like it (as far as I know) is the gateway wizard. Being in DFW like you, most of us go for a putter that does well in wind, like a rhino, judge, or wizard. Roc, tee bird, and wraith are some other discs to try. For turnovers, I suggest stingray, leopard, and tern. I also suggest trying base plastic fir the slower speed discs., you want them to break in. Premium plastic for drivers.

GMR45 03-11-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherBill (Post 3560578)
Depending on the area you live, there are several retailers that carry both new and lightly used discs and will likely be able to offer on-site advice from other players who work there. Avoid big box like Academy, their selection is designed to catch your eye but not the kind of discs that will improve your game. Although your background may benefit for the Shryke for FH throws, I've seen tons of those unsold there.
Let me know if you're in North Dallas and want to get in a round :)

Thanks for the offer! I'll try to hit you up once I grab a couple discs and feel at least somewhat competent in my ability to throw them at least in something resembling the proper direction :)

GMR45 03-11-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odedge (Post 3560513)
I putt with the Warden after trying 3 other discs and think it's a great disc for putting. It is very neutral with a little fade with longer putts [depending on your form and such]. I think the Judge is basically the same disc but with a bead [which I don't really like].

I would find a putter you like first, then go for a pack, which will definitely speed up your putting practice. I just bought a 5 pack of Wardens for this very reason. One tip... don't throw your putting putter, but a different one for upshots or tee drives.

Thanks for this advice, very in line with what I was thinking actually (down to the two discs I've been most considering). Fortunately there's a Dynamic Discs store not too far from me over in Carrollton, so I think I'm going to head over there and try to figure out what mold/plastic feels best and buy a few of them to start working on with some field practice. Maybe pick up a mid-range while I'm over there...will do my best to not grab a Defender as well :p