Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Getting Existential With Midrange Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125714)

Mulligan 01-08-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAFL (Post 3120708)
My speed 4 Shark was my designated mid while my speed 4 Stingray was a driver.

Those two were like 75% of my game in the 90s.

I've gotten away from mids, mostly, but I treat the Polecat now as my US floaty mid, the Kaxe I just power down for any stable/OS shots that are midrange.
But, I recently picked up a couple luster C-MD3 that I think I'm going to enjoy because they feel a bit like lids to me (the Zephyr was also a disc I always carried in the 90s).

Three Putt 01-08-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmoset (Post 3120712)
One thing I forgot to mention is that Nikko rarely- if ever- uses a mid. So mids are not completely necessary even at the top level. I should mention that Nikko is in the minority which is why he is noteworthy in this example.

I have seen Nikko crush his putter 400'. If I had that kind of power then my disc selection would surely change.

This was a Gateway phenomenon for a little while. They ran a sweet run of Elements that they never seemed to be able to reproduce. Their team guys ran out of those nice Elements and Gateway really had nothing else in that range. They were already bombing Wizards, so they started throwing Wizard for shorter mid shots and Sabres for longer mid shots. I knew a bunch of Gateway-sponsored guys who around 2008-2010 had quit throwing mids.

Then Gateway got tied up in the "mixed bag" thing and people could add a Buzzz to their Gateway bag. Some of them did. Some of them were already used to not throwing a mid and never went back.

SD86 01-08-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmoset (Post 3120712)
One thing I forgot to mention is that Nikko rarely- if ever- uses a mid. So mids are not completely necessary even at the top level. I should mention that Nikko is in the minority which is why he is noteworthy in this example.

I have seen Nikko crush his putter 400'. If I had that kind of power then my disc selection would surely change.

LOL! True! on that last sentence.

Many pros only carry one mold of mid, and maybe a few discs of that mold beaten in to different levels. If memory serves me correctly, Paul McBeth has two mids in his bag: Roc3 and Mako3, and the Roc3s are seasoned in to different levels. Sexton carries several different mids, if i remember right, but he's more of the exception than the rule...

Brodysseus 01-08-2017 12:51 PM

For most of my DG career I just threw mids on approach shots that were out of range of my putters or into the wind. Maybe on some tunnel shots.

Now I treat my Truth (albeit a fast mid) almost like a fairway driver. And it is definitely my most thrown disc off the tee. My mids are for control, I trust them. Plus, they're not much shorter than fairways for me, especially if I have some height to work with.

HERB brooks 01-08-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJB (Post 3120641)
I dont know where I would be without my Rocs, but I also dont play as many courses as I used to. A lot of it comes down to that. The course closest to my house is short...I use my mids there on four specific holes, which are the longest, off the tee. The next closest course to me is longer but much tighter shots (lots of trees as well as a river going through pretty much the entire course) and there it will vary...sometimes a mid off the tee but sometimes a mid to approach with on the longer holes.

I do bag fast mids (Roc3s, BuzzzOS) primarily, but there are some slower OG Rocs and a Vroc in the mix as well. Ive been playing a long time and the ever so slightly faster mids that offer the same pinpoint precision as their slower progenitors has been a revelation for the game and sport side of disc golf.

TL;DR I think its more dependent on the type of course you play rather than the individual player.

Having seen a couple of your review videos and what not, we play the same courses. I live between Widefield and Cumberland Green right now, play the aviary a lot also. I don't see too many shots at these three courses where nothing will do but a mid. The majority of the time at widefield its driver off the tee then a less than 100 foot second shot, so a mid isn't all that necessary. I find Aviary to be similar, and you can get by with a putter on all but 3-4 holes at Cumberland. Since for the most part these courses aren't too heavily wooded I rarely am left thinking, I wish I had something between my Wizard/Pig and Whippet/Leopard

HERB brooks 01-08-2017 01:05 PM

Good stuff from everyone so far, I personally find PnA discs to be very reliable on approach shots. So while I see thats a common way to use them I probably would stick with the putters for upshots even it to 200-250. I'm thinking that adding a mid back in the bag to try out would be a good idea in the next couple months.

hugheshilton 01-08-2017 01:18 PM

I don't think there's any wrong way to set up your bag as long as you can hit all the lines you want. I feel like you see a lot more forehand-dominant players who don't throw mids than back-hand dominant players (with the aforementioned exception of Nikko who can pump those wizards out over 300 and then seems to go straight to Firebirds after that). I see forehand-dominant players (like Sarah Hokum or Nate Sexton) throwing something like a Firebird even on those 275-300 foot shots where backhand players are mostly throwing mids. I'm not sure exactly why that is, but it seems to be a thing. It might be because forehands tend to be less clean with less spin to stabilize the disc so it's easier for them to get a stable/overstable disc to finish straight whereas a backhand drive with the same disc would always get a hard fade.

For me (backhand-dominant player), it's about distance control, comfort level, and how I want to shape a shot. It's a lot easier for me to throw a mid or a putter on a line where it will finish dead straight or right without fading. I can do that with an understable fairway too, but it's going to go a lot further because of the power required to keep is finishing right. So if I'm shaping that line on a wooded hole that's 300 feet, then I'm reaching for a mid all day. If I have a high enough ceiling, then I might throw a putter, but if I put too much power into a neutral/understable putter then I might send it right too early. For a certain distance range where I don't want the disc to fade too much, I'm using a mid.

If I'm throwing a pure hyzer, then it's more about distance control. I can put a Pig out to 250 on a straight hyzer and a Thunderbird 300-350. That gap in between is going to be mid territory for me (a Verdict in my case). If I back off the Thunderbird too much, then it's more likely to just dump and not give me the nice clean line I want. I don't feel like I have the control I need when I'm not throwing it with enough power.

I should mention that I used to throw Teebirds a lot and those were definitely in contention with mids for a lot more shots (for example, 280-300 foot hyzer lines). Switching to Thunderbirds for fairway duties has created a little more of a separation within my bag, so it's easier for me to decide between a mid and a fairway for a shot. Of course, I could have gone the opposite direction and kept the Teebirds and eliminated some mids, but for line shaping I still felt the need for mids; even a relatively beat Teebird wants to get some fade at the end of its flight for me.

hugheshilton 01-08-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERB brooks (Post 3120728)
Since for the most part these courses aren't too heavily wooded I rarely am left thinking, I wish I had something between my Wizard/Pig and Whippet/Leopard

The fact that you're using Leopards/Whippets for fairways makes your question make a lot more sense to me. It's just the way you have your bag set up (and the courses you play of course). You're using slower fairways which would probably compete for shots with a lot of mids. I get similar distances out of a Verdict and a Viper (never tried a Whippet) on similar lines. I personally prefer the Verdict, but if you prefer the 6 speed fairways then you probably don't need 4-5 speed mids in your bag as well.

SD86 01-08-2017 01:37 PM

Fd

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugheshilton (Post 3120736)
The fact that you're using Leopards/Whippets for fairways makes your question make a lot more sense to me. It's just the way you have your bag set up (and the courses you play of course). You're using slower fairways which would probably compete for shots with a lot of mids. I get similar distances out of a Verdict and a Viper (never tried a Whippet) on similar lines. I personally prefer the Verdict, but if you prefer the 6 speed fairways then you probably don't need 4-5 speed mids in your bag as well.

This is a good point. Not getting into the speed weeds, I use speed 7 discs (TL, Patriot, Banshee) instead of speed 6 discs like the Leopard. So I have use for mids, whereas the Leopard user might not.

HERB brooks 01-08-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugheshilton (Post 3120736)

Yeah they are nice discs that power up and down well, just like the fast putters I carry. I'm somewhat torn between embracing the fast putter and slow fairway set up or adding in a mid. I am FH dominant for distance but have worked on backhand shots with my speed 6 and under discs and feel comfortable with them. Maybe if nothing else the mud could help me build my BH game... been thinking about just getting a comet for shiggles