Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Getting Existential With Midrange Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125714)

AndyJB 01-08-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERB brooks (Post 3120728)
Having seen a couple of your review videos and what not, we play the same courses. I live between Widefield and Cumberland Green right now, play the aviary a lot also. I don't see too many shots at these three courses where nothing will do but a mid. The majority of the time at widefield its driver off the tee then a less than 100 foot second shot, so a mid isn't all that necessary. I find Aviary to be similar, and you can get by with a putter on all but 3-4 holes at Cumberland. Since for the most part these courses aren't too heavily wooded I rarely am left thinking, I wish I had something between my Wizard/Pig and Whippet/Leopard

And where you are throwing a Whippet or a Leopard Im throwing a Roc or maybe a Buzzz OS. Not claiming to be some distance thrower (I'm not) but over the years I have developed my style to revolve around discing down...DGCR really helped me realize the benefits of something I was doing anyway.

I can give you a rundown of what I would throw at Cumberland Green off the tee if playing for score (sorry to all the non Colorado Springs folks)
Hole 1: Roc3
Hole 2: Scale
Hole 3: Scale or Stego
Hole 4: Vroc if in far right position, Roc3 or Teebird if deep (depending on wind)
Hole 5: Scale
Hole 6: Berg or Wizard
Hole 7: Scale or Stego
Hole 8: Scale or Stego
Hole 9: Scale
Hole 10: Scale
Hole 11: Scale or Wizard
Hole 12: Roc 3
Hole 13: Scale
Hole 14: Scale
Hole 15: Scale or Buzzz OS if Im flicking it
Hole 16: Roc3
Hole 17: Roc 3
Hole 18: Roc 3 or PD if its in the far left position

So I can assume if we replace Scale with Pig and Roc3 with Leopard, and possible Stego with Whippet, we'd be pretty similar off the tee. Its not right or wrong, just different styles. If youre happy playing those courses without mids, then yeah, I'd say they arent for you.

Twmccoy 01-08-2017 02:19 PM

I will admit mids are my least favorite discs to throw. I'm not always super consistent with them. Sometimes I flip them too much, and other times I simply throw them at the wrong time off the tee and leave myself short of the hole.

If I'm not feeling mids on a certain day I'll instead throw a glideless overstable driver. Usually a Flick or Xcal.

That said, I carry 2 mids in the bag and they do get thrown numerous times every round. I could go without them, but I choose not to.

Finding a really good mid is hard. There are so many choices, and no two of them seem to fly the same. You end up having to try many different discs to end up with a few you actually like.

Twmccoy 01-08-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJB (Post 3120750)
And where you are throwing a Whippet or a Leopard Im throwing a Roc or maybe a Buzzz OS. Not claiming to be some distance thrower (I'm not) but over the years I have developed my style to revolve around discing down...DGCR really helped me realize the benefits of something I was doing anyway.

I can give you a rundown of what I would throw at Cumberland Green off the tee if playing for score (sorry to all the non Colorado Springs folks)
Hole 1: Roc3
Hole 2: Scale
Hole 3: Scale or Stego
Hole 4: Vroc if in far right position, Roc3 or Teebird if deep (depending on wind)
Hole 5: Scale
Hole 6: Berg or Wizard
Hole 7: Scale or Stego
Hole 8: Scale or Stego
Hole 9: Scale
Hole 10: Scale
Hole 11: Scale or Wizard
Hole 12: Roc 3
Hole 13: Scale
Hole 14: Scale
Hole 15: Scale or Buzzz OS if Im flicking it
Hole 16: Roc3
Hole 17: Roc 3
Hole 18: Roc 3 or PD if its in the far left position

So I can assume if we replace Scale with Pig and Roc3 with Leopard, and possible Stego with Whippet, we'd be pretty similar off the tee. Its not right or wrong, just different styles. If youre happy playing those courses without mids, then yeah, I'd say they arent for you.

How short is this course? The course I regularly play about 1/3 of the holes can be reached with a mid, but the rest are 400'+. I don't find myself throwing mids off the tee a whole ton.

AndyJB 01-08-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twmccoy (Post 3120756)
How short is this course? The course I regularly play about 1/3 of the holes can be reached with a mid, but the rest are 400'+. I don't find myself throwing mids off the tee a whole ton.

The longest hole in the longest position is 327 feet. So pretty short.

HERB brooks 01-08-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJB (Post 3120750)
And where you are throwing a Whippet or a Leopard Im throwing a Roc or maybe a Buzzz OS. Not claiming to be some distance thrower (I'm not) but over the years I have developed my style to revolve around discing down...DGCR really helped me realize the benefits of something I was doing anyway...

Thanks for the the rundown of what you throw, like you said the majority of your Roc3 shots I go with my fairways (ill go with a Pig on 17 and 4 when they are short). During night rounds I would usually take an Emac Truth and Blizzard Pig and use the mid on the longer holes. I have also played Wasp only round there and did much better than I expected. I feel perfectly fine with or without the mids there.

I guess the bigger issue as to why I'm questioning my need for a mid is that I feel my needs may have changed since I decided to pull mids out of the bag. Early spring when I pulled them out I was leaning on my Pigs for just about every second shot that wasn't a putt. I was just throwing it better than my few mids at the time. I am throwing everything much further now and so there is a bit bigger gap between drivers and putters now. I set up my fairways to compensate for a lack of a mid. So maybe its worth revisiting

HERB brooks 01-08-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twmccoy (Post 3120756)

Like Andy said pretty short, there are 2 other courses pretty close by that are much longer and more challenging (Widefield and Aviary). Cumberland is a fun little pitch and putt that about 5 min down the road so I tend to go there a decent amount

DesertFox 01-08-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugheshilton (Post 3120736)
The fact that you're using Leopards/Whippets for fairways makes your question make a lot more sense to me. It's just the way you have your bag set up (and the courses you play of course). You're using slower fairways which would probably compete for shots with a lot of mids. I get similar distances out of a Verdict and a Viper (never tried a Whippet) on similar lines. I personally prefer the Verdict, but if you prefer the 6 speed fairways then you probably don't need 4-5 speed mids in your bag as well.

This pretty much sums it up in a way. Ive always thought that a player should seperate their classes by a few speeds. I set up my bag mostly by rim width and if you can see my bagged discs in my sig below you see that a have alot of molds but i never bag them all at the same time. I have two different bags that I use. I have a smaller DD Cooler bag that i use at my local pitch and putts where i only use my putters, what i call "finesse mids", and my slower fairways. In this configuration i use my clutches (.9cm), my comets/ghosts (1.2cm), and stalkers(1.6cm). In my bigger competition bag the UPD Shift I use putters, power mids, fairways, and distance drivers. This configuration changes depends on which course and what condition there are but i use Clutches/V.P (.9cm), wasps (1.2cm but flatter) Rivals/Patriots (1.8cm) and Wraiths/Crush(2.1cm) with 2 utility discs F1/Roadrunner (1.8cm).

The point of all that is that there isnt a need for me to put in a slightly slower/faster disc than any of my main rim width discs. If I need a shot in between the lines ill either power up or power down. Even then, there are times where I could use a tweener but those situations dont come up often enough for me to warrant bagging another disc. I carry enough stuff as it is. Obviously my method isnt a be all end all solution and everyone is different and play on different conditions but maybe this helps someone decide how they want to set up their bag.

AndyJB 01-08-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERB brooks (Post 3120765)
Like Andy said pretty short, there are 2 other courses pretty close by that are much longer and more challenging (Widefield and Aviary). Cumberland is a fun little pitch and putt that about 5 min down the road so I tend to go there a decent amount

Not quite a pitch and putt. Hit up Nick Naples in Woodland Park or Johnny Roberts in Arvada for real pitch and putts.

BrotherDave 01-08-2017 03:54 PM

I started out throwing your classic speed 4 type wide diameter mids like Rocs but I've quickly gravitated towards the faster, smaller diameter mids like my beloved Nebula and the Evidence/Squall. I felt like throwing wide mids and small diameter drivers (which is most of them) were too dissimilar and the fast mids enabled me to throw my mids more like I would throw my drivers (harder and lower lines) so it seemed more consistent. I still carry a Fuse for the classic wide diameter "float down range" type shots but for the most part my fast mids are basically my wooded fairway drivers. Like others have said, the type of course you're playing makes a big deal. I only lean on my mids on courses with a lot of long, wooded tunnels (they get a lot of air time on Charlotte courses for example) but I'm mostly driver-putter on shorter and/or more park-style, open courses.

Struggle adjusting to different speed ranges is real. I'm using my MVP/Axiom for Winter fun bag right now and my approach game is garbage. I'm so used to using a Polecat that using a conventional putter (Spin or Ion in this case) to approach with feels like I'm using a Destroyer. It's funny what you get used to.

riltim 01-08-2017 04:00 PM

I'd get rid of my drivers before I removed my mids from my bag. I really lean on my mids in the woods to keep myself in the fairway. They really shine on any form of downhill straight shot where any left or right will get you in the rough, a driver can fade or skip where my mids generally finish straight.