Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Form Analysis/Critique (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Reid's Journey to Backhand Mastery (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124289)

UhhNegative 09-12-2016 07:54 PM

Reid's Journey to Backhand Mastery
 
Hello DGCR,

Background: I've been playing disc golf for about a year now, recording somewhere around 120 rounds in Udisc in that time and definitely playing more that aren't recorded. I get out and do a lot of field work, but I always end up directionless and just throwing because, well, I just love throwing! But now, I'm throwing down the gauntlet and really getting into the nitty gritty of form. My goal with this thread is to throw 400' consistently as that is really all I need to play good golf.

So right now, I'm getting putters out to 240'-275' with an occasional 300' shot here and there (all distances in this thread are Udisc measured). I'm throwing mids between 260-300', and I'll throw Leopards/Teebirds/PDs all around 300-340 depending on the day. Now one day in the field, I had a magical revelation and was throwing PDs, Destroyers, and Terns all out to 350-375 on hyzer/straight lines. It was a magical day, but alas I have not been able to do that since. You probably don't care about all this, but it's good for my records, so without further ado, cut to the videos.

Here's a video from today. I didn't have great throws today, but a lot of these problems I'm seeing are pretty common from all the field work videos I've taken in the past.



The problem I'm having, is that I don't know how to fix these problems. I can see them visually, but I'm having trouble actually making the changes. I've watched pretty much all of Jason's (heavydisc.com) videos, most of Sidewinder's videos, but still I'm having trouble making the changes. I end up focusing on too many things at once when I am trying to fix my form, when I think I need to be focusing on one thing at a time. Biggest things I'm seeing right now:

1) Still not bracing correctly. I tend to roll on the side of my foot when I know I need to go instep->heel. Strangely, I do manage to rotate on my heel, but I'm really not keeping my body braced behind it. Need to straighten out knee.

2) Weird shoulder shrugging. It's easy to see I lower my back shoulder and raise my left shoulder into my chin. It looks really bad, but it doesn't actually feel bad when I'm throwing.

3) Reachback too early/Body leaning back. I know I need to stay more upright. I used to actually reachback excessively but I still reachback too much. It's more of a "turn back" than a reach back. This will help me remain more upright and balanced through the throw.

4) PUNCH THE DAMN ELBOW OUT! I cannot for the life of me get my elbow out. It looks to me during the throw my whole arm lags behind along with my front shoulder. My shoulders are way too open before my arm comes through, making it play catch up with the rest of the motion.

UhhNegative 09-12-2016 08:23 PM

I've also done a frame-by-frame analysis.

It's only frame 1 and I'm already leaning back too much. Everything else looks fine to me though.
http://i.imgur.com/85xqmck.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ysxPHcL.png

In frame 2, I've already started reaching back too early. Also leaning back too much.
http://i.imgur.com/WZMCqoo.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/OfPDWQW.png

Frame 3: Here I think my arm is too far back and not out enough, causing me to round. Additionally, I am leaning too far back to remain balanced when I come through with my arm.

http://i.imgur.com/2Lorbb3.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/2n7Tf3J.jpg

Frame 4: I think I get off my back foot well here but my torso is still tilted back a little too much. My arm is still lagging back compared to Paul's.
http://i.imgur.com/6U77OVX.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/3iEIO9Z.jpg

Frame 5: This one is the real kicker. My arm is so far behind at this point that I'm basically cooked already.
http://i.imgur.com/BzOYSRU.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/7VXotTt.png

I would post the last two, but I have enough work to do already here.... I'll try and match the picture size better next time too.

Aim For The Chains 09-12-2016 08:31 PM

Opening too early and weight is out of balance. Open plant/no brace for weight shift from ground up.

Try staying closed more with a wider reachback away from the chest. You never really get turned back either leading with front hip/leg vs ass.

Also look flat footed in the still shots but hard to tell w/long grass invideo too. Get in an athletic posture.

UhhNegative 09-12-2016 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains (Post 3065923)
Opening too early and weight is out of balance. Open plant/no brace for weight shift from ground up.

Try staying closed more with a wider reachback away from the chest. You never really get turned back either leading with front hip/leg vs ass.

Also look flat footed in the still shots but hard to tell w/long grass invideo too. Get in an athletic posture.

Thanks friend! Yeah I'm seeing those issues too. Sometimes it's hard for me to see when the pros are actually turning the hips back. Are they sometimes not really using hips and just taking advantage of having the disc in the power pocket (for shorter shots)? For example in this video I used for the frame-by-frame Paul never really looks like he gets his ass out (butt wipe) while Schusterick is definitely more pronounced in doing so.

Aim For The Chains 09-12-2016 08:39 PM

Mostly has to due with their great timing--but angle of shot and line is a big factor to consider when looking at a drive. My anny/roller drives with OS discs look nothing like a hyzer with US molds. (yes im not twisted... I mean that lol)

Small adjustments in footing and shoulder vs arm movement just naturally engaged the hips more and allow for clean power from the ground up.

I wouldn't worry about mimicking any specific xyz form but rather get that "feel" for what works with your body type.

UhhNegative 09-12-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains (Post 3065930)
Mostly has to due with their great timing--but angle of shot and line is a big factor to consider when looking at a drive. My anny/roller drives with OS discs look nothing like a hyzer with US molds. (yes im not twisted... I mean that lol)

Small adjustments in footing and shoulder vs arm movement just naturally engaged the hips more and allow for clean power from the ground up.

I wouldn't worry about mimicking any specific xyz form but rather get that "feel" for what works with your body type.

True, but I think there are aspects of any drive that should be mimicked, such as getting the disc to the power pocket and other general principles like that.

But yeah, getting the "feel" is what I have the most struggle with. It's so difficult to turn visual information into "feeling" the motion. I know that sidewinder or someone is going to come in here and tell me to do standstill drives.... Ugh I suck at standstill.

Aim For The Chains 09-12-2016 08:54 PM

You wont find many top pros who look the same when throwing. Mechanics are similar but everyone has their quirks which just comes down to timing really. You might have to redo an entire part of your throw but standstill shouldnt be any problem.

Sounds like a balance issue. The video seems to show that. Slowing down helps get the feel of tbe true rip vs strong arming.

sidewinder22 09-12-2016 09:19 PM

Pretty good self analysis. Balance, you never position yourself to balance your front leg. You are trying to shift your weight, instead of staying dynamically balanced inside your posture and turning more. Watch your front foot turns the opposite direction of Paul's during the stride into the plant. You need to turn your hips further back at the plant and transfer/brace "from behind you"(see best downswing).

Paul is definitely wiping his butt, from deep into the Hershyzer start position before frame 1 in your series (Paul is a big fan of my drills ;) ). You are going to kick the wall in the Hershyzer well before your butt/hip goes into the wall. Also keep in mind that drills are drills to emphasize a feeling of sorts and may look a little different when incorporated into your throw.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PMcBeth (Post 2318981)
I'm going to go try this in the field today :thmbup:







UhhNegative 09-12-2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3065969)
Pretty good self analysis. Balance, you never position yourself to balance your front leg. You are trying to shift your weight, instead of staying dynamically balanced inside your posture and turning more. Watch your front foot turns the opposite direction of Paul's during the stride into the plant. You need to turn your hips further back at the plant and transfer/brace "from behind you"(see best downswing).

Paul is definitely wiping his butt, from deep into the Hershyzer start position before frame 1 in your series (Paul is a big fan of my drills ;) ). You are going to kick the wall in the Hershyzer well before your butt/hip goes into the wall. Also keep in mind that drills are drills to emphasize a feeling of sorts and may look a little different when incorporated into your throw.

You know it's funny, I've watched all of those videos (multiple times) and I was at a lake recently hitting golf balls for the first time in years after watching the weight shift Clement video and I was crushing them! But yeah I see now that I am too "purposefully" trying to shift my weight instead of letting the arm/disc movement shift the weight for me basically.

Tomorrow in the field I'm going to specifically work on staying balanced and upright. I suppose if my swing timing is off I won't be able to, but then I'll hopefully be able to adjust until the timing is right so I can stay balanced. We'll see how it goes...

slowplastic 09-12-2016 10:57 PM

What this reminds me of is someone trying to swing a baseball bat by focusing on massive weight shift/hip firing, before bat path is fully correct (your elbow forward position isn't happening), and at the detriment of overall balance. As SW22 said you did a good self analysis.

Don't stride so far forward, when you plant your foot is so far ahead that you can't catch your weight on it (you are going "into" it too much and that's why your knee never straightens and you end up tilted back).

You need to get your reachback extension later, you are reaching back early and the disc is dragging forward with an extended arm, then you fire the hips really hard and that causes your torso to lag behind and your left arm hugs your torso. I think this is a reason why you aren't getting to the elbow forward hand on the outside of the disc position.

To simplify, I would focus on shorter, light steps into a balanced Hershyzer type plant. And for upper body, delay the reachback and focus on keeping your forearm parallel to the line of fire as it is brought to your chest, before the shoulder unloading.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.