Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hitting tight fairways during tournament play (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62394)

leftyone 05-07-2012 07:31 PM

Hitting tight fairways during tournament play

Just curious to see what you guys use as far as strategy/technique and equipment when your playing a tournament with in your opinion tight fairways. I played one this weekend that was wide open for the first round and tight for the second round. I struggled quite a bit during round two.

notapro 05-07-2012 07:34 PM

Probably the only thing that I had going for me last weekend was the Comet. Straight straight straight, distance a close second.

_.-Dut-._ 05-07-2012 07:36 PM

Flex shot pig.

Boom!

JReynolds 05-07-2012 07:45 PM

I agree with the "control first, distance second"... Depending on how tight, I would either hyzer flip a mamba, hyzer flip a leopard, or throw a roc

curveball4 05-07-2012 07:47 PM

Not that my accuracy is anything special, but 200' down the middle is better than any D in the briars

Violets caddy 05-07-2012 07:47 PM

Practice, practice, practice!
Tight fairways can be your best friend in a tournament because so much of the field is going to struggle.
As far as a strategy goes I try to take advantage of the fh. You can launch a fh shot only 2 feet off the ground well in excess of 300'. If you hit a tree no big deal the odds are good you'll hit the ground before you get too far off the fairway.

If you don't have a workable fh and have to throw bh its best to keep it neutral and slow, axis/buzzz SS type discs. You don't lose much overall D and gain control.

I strongly recommend adding a fh to your game if you don't have one.

joegraham 05-07-2012 07:53 PM

I slow way down and just use 1 or 2 step run ups to keep my eyes on the target line as long as possible. If I can get through the tree gap, any more distance is gravy on that shot so I'm happy. I use my Stalker, Valkyrie, or Roc for those shots. Minimum fade or skip off line.

Jay Dub 05-07-2012 08:06 PM

Throw your straight shot with the disc you throw straight shots with just like all other rounds that are not during a tournament.
Why would it be different during a tournament?

vonDrehle 05-07-2012 08:20 PM

I just throw like I always do. My run up is already more of a walk up because most courses around here have lots of trees and tight fairways. If you don't usually change your style for tight fairways don't do it during a tournament.

SethH 05-07-2012 08:33 PM

I usually keep my full run up because it helps me release the same way every time, but I throw very relaxed. The less I try to put any power on it the straighter and farther it goes. (This is just my normal wooded course strategy, never played in a tourney.)