Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brodie Smith PDGA #128378 (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135632)

ChrisWoj 05-07-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.chainslove (Post 3717232)
The Brode'ster just put down a likely 1050 -13 at Goat Hill. Dayum

He's no Robert Burridge but not too shabby.

Ryan P. 05-07-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3717244)
He's no Robert Burridge but not too shabby.

what a bagger. :D

ChrisWoj 05-07-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan P. (Post 3717264)
what a bagger. :D

Yeah I'm not sure what he's waiting on. I worked a tournament he won last weekend in Open and followed his card for a few holes first round. If I had had half a brain I would have asked him what he was waiting for... he DOES have Am Nationals coming up, but he's also registered for the Am side of the Great Lakes Open at the end of July. I'm wondering if he isn't waiting through next year to play Collegiate Nationals before moving up for good?

foxdawg10 05-07-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3717267)
Yeah I'm not sure what he's waiting on. I worked a tournament he won last weekend in Open and followed his card for a few holes first round. If I had had half a brain I would have asked him what he was waiting for... he DOES have Am Nationals coming up, but he's also registered for the Am side of the Great Lakes Open at the end of July. I'm wondering if he isn't waiting through next year to play Collegiate Nationals before moving up for good?


It is smart of him to take his time. It looks like he really came into his own last year.

ChrisWoj 05-07-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxdawg10 (Post 3717277)
It is smart of him to take his time. It looks like he really came into his own last year.

I agree. I've maintained for a long time that the best decision for an amateur looking for a sponsorship is to stay in the Advanced Division long enough to put up some highlight finishes at major tournaments. You'll get noticed at a far earlier stage doing that than you will by playing in Open and taking beatings. There are benefits to both approaches in terms of tournament skill development through experience, but getting sponsored quicker seems to for sure be the advantage of staying in Advanced a lil longer.

txmxer 05-07-2021 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3717279)
I agree. I've maintained for a long time that the best decision for an amateur looking for a sponsorship is to stay in the Advanced Division long enough to put up some highlight finishes at major tournaments. You'll get noticed at a far earlier stage doing that than you will by playing in Open and taking beatings. There are benefits to both approaches in terms of tournament skill development through experience, but getting sponsored quicker seems to for sure be the advantage of staying in Advanced a lil longer.

Being old(er), I can say that patience is usually a better path.

Jay Dub 05-07-2021 06:24 PM

What the...? :eek:
Quote:

For the first time in his professional career, Brodie Smith is in the clubhouse with the lead at a DGPT event!

AHagglund 05-07-2021 07:18 PM

The lead card tomorrow is kinda hilarious...Brodie and all the people he blocked on social media

Hampstead 05-07-2021 07:22 PM

Two pretenders and a contender.

gooberau 05-07-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHagglund (Post 3717320)
The lead card tomorrow is kinda hilarious...Brodie and all the people he blocked on social media

All his discs will have a hot dog stamp by the end of the round tomorrow.

brutalbrutus 05-07-2021 08:59 PM

Unofficially his highest rated round by 2pts but it could always drop a bit when they event goes official...



I wonder what the law of averages has in store for him the next two days, lol.

ToddL 05-07-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3717354)
I wonder what the law of averages has in store for him the next two days, lol.

Some people shoot 3 rounds of 970 and 1 round 1030 and say "As soon as I get all my rounds up to that 1030 range I'll be great!"
Other people shoot 3 rounds of 1030 and 1 round of 970 and say "If I can just clean up that one bad round I'll be great!"

It feels like Brodie is starting to trend toward that second person.

txmxer 05-07-2021 09:39 PM

Any way you look at it, he continues to improve. Will be interesting to see how this year ends up for him.

He jumped in to deep waters last year and had to bail out. Doesn’t seem to be the case less than a year later.

brutalbrutus 05-07-2021 11:31 PM


Emoney 05-08-2021 11:13 AM

Brodie can place well at courses where he gets to play Golf with a Frisbee...

...his struggles happen when he plays Disc Golf. The woods separate the good from the great.

MANhyzerDG 05-08-2021 11:39 AM

To be playing Disc Golf for the relatively short time he's been committed to it, I don't see how anyone could not be impressed. Even if it's just one round on a wide open course, he's tied with one of if not the best players in the world. Pretty F'ing awesome regardless if you like his personality or not.

I know several folks who have been playing 20 years and couldn't do what he did yesterday.

One thing about the internet, all the F'ing hate. Why not just celebrate other people's success and if not then just move on if you don't have something of value to add vs just trying to bring someone down.

Kudos to the guy for putting himself out there, putting in the work and turning that work in to success. Instead of just talking **** on an online forum.

It's like these boards have become a yelp of the Pros personalities and just too much negativity.

Jay Dub 05-08-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MANhyzerDG (Post 3717443)
To be playing Disc Golf for the relatively short time he's been committed to it, I don't see how anyone could not be impressed. Even if it's just one round on a wide open course, he's tied with one of if not the best players in the world. Pretty F'ing awesome regardless if you like his personality or not.

I know several folks who have been playing 20 years and couldn't do what he did yesterday.

One thing about the internet, all the F'ing hate. Why not just celebrate other people's success and if not then just move on if you don't have something of value to add vs just trying to bring someone down.

Kudos to the guy for putting himself out there, putting in the work and turning that work in to success. Instead of just talking **** on an online forum.

It's like these boards have become a yelp of the Pros personalities and just too much negativity.

Once again the only people saying the word "hate" seem to be the super fans.

He wants to be noticed, that's his job and how he makes more money. No one ever in the history of history has put themselves out there and NOT had negative, non-positive comments said about them.

If he doesn't want that he can shut all his channels down and sink into obscurity.

Hampstead 05-08-2021 12:42 PM

I don't hate him as that's too much emotional energy to invest in a stranger. I'm simply indifferent to his existence.

Emoney 05-08-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3717457)
I don't hate him as that's too much emotional energy to invest in a stranger. I'm simply indifferent to his existence.

You have had alot of posts in this thread for someone so indifferent of someones existence.

That would be a Hater.

If you dont care...dont post...

It is easy to see the difference between people posting critique with interest, and the ones that just pop in to post useless negative rhetoric over and over while claiming not to care.

Lol post stalking. Did i make that up?

Hampstead 05-08-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3717462)
You have had alot of posts in this thread for someone so indifferent of someones existence.

That would be a Hater.

If you dont care...dont post...

It is easy to see the difference between people posting critique with interest, and the ones that just pop in to post useless negative rhetoric over and over while claiming not to care.

Lol post stalking. Did i make that up?



Just passing time, friendo.


I see I hit a nerve through your thin skin.

autocrosscrx 05-08-2021 01:10 PM

That was a fantastic round regardless of experience or what you do on other courses or what you post on twitter or youtube.

Emoney 05-08-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3717464)
Just passing time, friendo.


I see I hit a nerve through your thin skin.

I grew up with 2 brothers in the midwest without the internet.

Nerves died along time ago, along with my feelings lol

Brody is insufferable and annoying but i hope to see him on a lead card when disc golf isnt playing at its version of a "nascar" course. (Where you just root for the players because disc throwing skills are not showcased).

^^
See...that's how you do it. I want to see Brody succeed while also being realistic. Iam an old head and believe real disc golf is played in the woods, or at least the majority of the holes should be. Anyway...drift thread

p.s. im glad our internet relationship is progressing to "friendo". Maybe we will eventually get to the "olive garden" stage ;)

txmxer 05-08-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3717475)
I grew up with 2 brothers in the midwest without the internet.

Nerves died along time ago, along with my feelings lol

Brody is insufferable and annoying but i hope to see him on a lead card when disc golf isnt playing at its version of a "nascar" course. (Where you just root for the players because disc throwing skills are not showcased).

^^
See...that's how you do it. I want to see Brody succeed while also being realistic. Iam an old head and believe real disc golf is played in the woods, or at least the majority of the holes should be. Anyway...drift thread

p.s. im glad our internet relationship is progressing to "friendo". Maybe we will eventually get to the "olive garden" stage ;)

Agreed. Friendo. I canít watch a lot of his bro stuff either.

However, I think his game has and continues to advance across the board. Doesnít mean he will be elite at some point, but as of now I donít see him peaking for a while.

brutalbrutus 05-08-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3717475)
I grew up with 2 brothers in the midwest without the internet.

Nerves died along time ago, along with my feelings lol

Brody is insufferable and annoying but i hope to see him on a lead card when disc golf isnt playing at its version of a "nascar" course. (Where you just root for the players because disc throwing skills are not showcased).

^^
See...that's how you do it. I want to see Brody succeed while also being realistic. Iam an old head and believe real disc golf is played in the woods, or at least the majority of the holes should be. Anyway...drift thread

p.s. im glad our internet relationship is progressing to "friendo". Maybe we will eventually get to the "olive garden" stage ;)

He does have a woods game. His FH is quite serviceable and he throws a Meteor BH on some nice lines.

Like i mentioned a few pages back, at Texas States, which is a very wooded course, he was tied for 5th on the back9 of the last round. He was also several cards in front of the leaders, so there were lot's of guys that just played ok that wound up passing him after he stalled out on the last 6 holes. If he had managed to shoot -8 for the round, he would have been in the top10 but like i said, he stalled out on the back and was only -4 for the round.

Hampstead 05-08-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3717475)
I grew up with 2 brothers in the midwest without the internet.

Nerves died along time ago, along with my feelings lol

Brody is insufferable and annoying but i hope to see him on a lead card when disc golf isnt playing at its version of a "nascar" course. (Where you just root for the players because disc throwing skills are not showcased).

^^
See...that's how you do it. I want to see Brody succeed while also being realistic. Iam an old head and believe real disc golf is played in the woods, or at least the majority of the holes should be. Anyway...drift thread

p.s. im glad our internet relationship is progressing to "friendo". Maybe we will eventually get to the "olive garden" stage ;)



If it's any consolation, I'm indifferent about your existence as well.


Cheers!

brutalbrutus 05-08-2021 05:16 PM

Ricky and Oakley bogey the first hole and Brodie has the solo lead...




... for at least one hole...:D

elmexdela 05-08-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MANhyzerDG (Post 3717443)
To be playing Disc Golf for the relatively short time he's been committed to it, I don't see how anyone could not be impressed. Even if it's just one round on a wide open course, he's tied with one of if not the best players in the world. Pretty F'ing awesome regardless if you like his personality or not.

I know several folks who have been playing 20 years and couldn't do what he did yesterday.

One thing about the internet, all the F'ing hate. Why not just celebrate other people's success and if not then just move on if you don't have something of value to add vs just trying to bring someone down.

Kudos to the guy for putting himself out there, putting in the work and turning that work in to success. Instead of just talking **** on an online forum.

It's like these boards have become a yelp of the Pros personalities and just too much negativity.

full picture vs silver lining

your perspective sounds like some toxic positivity

armiller 05-09-2021 09:02 AM

It's always interesting to see the discussions in this thread...

I've played with some ex-ultimate players and it's interesting to me that Brodie can be so polarizing. It's also interesting that Brodie seems to have quite a broad base of support (I guess I mean YT viewers, folks buying his products, and general support when I talk with DGers on the course) even though I've never met anyone who is a highly enthusiastic supporter (aka fan-boy).

All that is to say, I think there are a lot of folks who are happy to see him do well, others who don't mind seeing him do well, and a very limited number who would love to see him totally embarrassed in the MPO field. He has too much athletic ability, works too hard, and has a strong enough mental game that I don't think that small last group will ever be satisfied for more than certain isolated rounds.

brutalbrutus 05-09-2021 12:56 PM

Brodie is going to have to earn it if he wants to get that USDGC spot today. Only a handful of already qualified players in this field...

Jolt 05-09-2021 04:15 PM

Looking at Hole 4 R2 itīs insane how "fast" and far Brodie can throw

Emoney 05-09-2021 04:16 PM

Thank you Philo for agreeing with me about Brodie and this course.

brutalbrutus 05-09-2021 04:22 PM


brutalbrutus 05-09-2021 05:43 PM

Here comes the law of averages i talked about the other day...:|

Emoney 05-09-2021 06:52 PM

It was nice to see a good crowd out there for them.

brutalbrutus 05-09-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3717848)
It was nice to see a good crowd out there for them.

He's having a rough day on the DGN final round Live Card... but it's also windier than it's been the last two days.

Hampstead 05-09-2021 07:50 PM

Ouch.

brutalbrutus 05-09-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3717863)
Ouch.

Yea... He's got one of those bad shot and bad luck rounds going. About 20min ago, he had a birdie putt $hit out the back of the basket. Wasn't too hard or too much hyzer, just one of those classic Discatcher shots.

brutalbrutus 05-09-2021 08:22 PM

Only took him 11 holes to get back to even...





...only

brutalbrutus 05-09-2021 08:46 PM

WOW... Brodie birdies the last 5 holes and snags the last USDGC spot

brutalbrutus 05-09-2021 08:53 PM

That's pretty impressive after the struggles he had today. Bad shots, bad luck and you could tell he was mega frustrated.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.