Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   MVP Vector Midrange (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26154)

discspeed 12-20-2010 11:46 AM

MVP Vector Midrange
 
This is what Chad just posted on DGR:
Quote:

Looks like word traveled faster than the PDGA could update their site. I am assuming it will be updated soon.

Long story short, we have been working very hard for this new disc. We have designed our new overmolded midrange! We plan on releasing this new disc in the spring. All the details will be coming with time. Feel free to ask questions! Below is the approval email of our new overmolded midrange, the Vector:

MVP Disc Sports recently submitted the Vector for PDGA testing. This disc passed all PDGA tests, so I've added it to the list of PDGA-approved discs. This disc is now permitted in all PDGA competitions, although formal certification will be made by the Board of Directors at their next meeting. Test measurements are listed below and a photograph of the disc and an updated list of approved discs are attached.
Vector
Certification No. 10-42
Outside diameter: 21.7 cm
Inside rim diameter: 19.1 cm
Height: 2.1 cm
Rim depth: 1.3 cm
Rim thickness: 1.3 cm
Flight plate thickness: 0.2 cm
Flight plate to rim plane distance: 1.9 cm
Flexibility rating: 4.99 kg
Rim configuration rating: 36.5
Maximum weight allowed: 180.1 g

http://i56.tinypic.com/25yu98n.jpg

sloppydisc 12-20-2010 11:48 AM

Looks like an Ion. That is going to be confusing in bags. They should do certain colored outer molds for certain discs. Color code the little buggers or something.

Frank Delicious 12-20-2010 11:50 AM

Well you can probably tell them apart since one is a mid and the other is a putter.

cfair 12-20-2010 11:55 AM

from the top they'll look the same, I want to see a profile shot because they'll probably unmistakable.

Technohic 12-20-2010 11:55 AM

Looks larger diameter from the pic than an Ion, but I dont know the Ion specs, so Im assuming a little wider rim and therefor faster? Have you gotten to test them Discspeed?

This is great news! I liked the Ion but not so much as a putter and thought I would really like it if they got that same concept into the mid market but was getting concerned as I was working on nailing my mids down that it wouldnt be soon enough. I will hold up any final decisions until I try this.

EDIT: How do I even get the feeling its larger diameter from a pic like that? lol IS that even possible?

BennettUA 12-20-2010 11:59 AM

SIGN.

ME.

UP!

sloppydisc 12-20-2010 11:59 AM

Come on!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Delicious (Post 621659)
Well you can probably tell them apart since one is a mid and the other is a putter.

Man Frank!! You've seen me play. Not only am I not that good, I ain't too bright. Things need to be real simple. And what if I have been drinking?? Then all bets are off.

Frank Delicious 12-20-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloppydisc (Post 621672)
Man Frank!! You've seen me play. Not only am I not that good, I ain't too bright. Things need to be real simple. And what if I have been drinking?? Then all bets are off.

They'll probably stamp it for you brother.

Rol6566 12-20-2010 12:03 PM

With the dimensions given. what disc does it compare to?

Frank Delicious 12-20-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rol6566 (Post 621678)
With the dimensions given. what disc does it compare to?

http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs-xls

thatdirtykid 12-20-2010 12:06 PM

Dye different stuff on each one, problem solved. And they can tell its bigger in diameter because the measurements listed and the max weight (which correlates to the disc diameter)

discddwn 12-20-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technohic (Post 621667)

EDIT: How do I even get the feeling its larger diameter from a pic like that? lol IS that even possible?

Maybe it's size in relation to the crossword puzzle below it? :p

Technohic 12-20-2010 12:11 PM

Here, lets do this

From above

Vector
Certification No. 10-42
Outside diameter: 21.7 cm
Inside rim diameter: 19.1 cm
Height: 2.1 cm
Rim depth: 1.3 cm
Rim thickness: 1.3 cm
Flight plate thickness: 0.2 cm
Flight plate to rim plane distance: 1.9 cm
Flexibility rating: 4.99 kg
Rim configuration rating: 36.5
Maximum weight allowed: 180.1 g

From PDGA Approved doc (feel free to look for smilar discs yourselves)

Ion
Certification No. 09-21
Outside diameter: 21.0
Inside rim diameter: 18.8
Height: 1.9 cm
Rim depth: 1.6
Rim thickness: 1.1 cm
Flexibility rating: 2.83
Maximum weight allowed: 174.3 g

booter 12-20-2010 12:13 PM

come on guys,u know people are lazy and dnt feel like actually looking at the disc to see if it's different from a putter. It needs to be much more easy!
/sarcasm

tom8658 12-20-2010 12:15 PM

21.7... same diameter as a roc or a buzzz

if this thing drives like an ion with better glide, i'm buying 10

jivey311 12-20-2010 12:16 PM

Awesome!

Waddly Hobbins 12-20-2010 12:18 PM

GIVE TO WADDLY NOW!!!!!

I will be buying one off of the first shipment that Gotta Go Gotta Throw gets.

I hope there are some blank tops available in the first shipment.

I wonder what the intended flight path is supposed to be. I hope it doesn't overlap too much with a Buzzz or Fuse. If it does, I'd probably end up having to dropping those two discs in favor of a Vector...

From a marketing stand point it would probably be smartest to have something that flew like a Buzzz. A neutral disc that could fit into more peoples bags.



Once this disc is released, I can have a battle of the glidey mids: Fuse vs. Vector.

Waddly Hobbins 12-20-2010 12:20 PM

If you can't tell a putter from a mid by looking at the shape of its profile, you should probably stop playing disc golf now.

discspeed 12-20-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technohic (Post 621667)
Looks larger diameter from the pic than an Ion, but I dont know the Ion specs, so Im assuming a little wider rim and therefor faster? Have you gotten to test them Discspeed?

There are only a couple of protos right now I'm guessing, so I'm not getting them to test until the first production run. I'm sure they will tweak some things and the production run will be more polished anyway.

It looks from the specs like a Buzzz/Core as it has a slightly longer wing than a Buzzz. This is pretty much exactly what Chad and I discussed last summer. I can't wait to throw it! My favorite disc of all time and the source my label on DGR may be in jeopardy of leaving my bag!

tom8658 12-20-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waddly Hobbins (Post 621725)
GIVE TO WADDLY NOW!!!!!

I will be buying one off of the first shipment that Gotta Go Gotta Throw gets.

I hope there are some blank tops available in the first shipment.

I wonder what the intended flight path is supposed to be. I hope it doesn't overlap too much with a Buzzz or Fuse. If it does, I'd probably end up having to dropping those two discs in favor of a Vector...

From a marketing stand point it would probably be smartest to have something that flew like a Buzzz. A neutral disc that could fit into more peoples bags.



Once this disc is released, I can have a battle of the glidey mids: Fuse vs. Vector.

Yeah, just when I thought I had my mids nailed down, MVP has to go and do this... I loved the Ion as an approach disc, but slowly grew to hate it as a putter.

I can't see it gliding better than a Fuse, though, the Fuse is a 21.9cm, plus the Swedes mix magic into their plastic blends.

bikinjack 12-20-2010 12:27 PM

Do you know what the plastic's gonna be like? Soft? Medium? Firm? I'm assuming it will be the same types of plastic they're using for the Ion. I'm hoping they'll stay away from the softer stuff.

discspeed 12-20-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom8658 (Post 621733)

I can't see it gliding better than a Fuse, though, the Fuse is a 21.9cm, plus the Swedes mix magic into their plastic blends.

Yeah, but the Vector is going to have all the weight distributed to the outside of the disc...I'm imagining that this is going to have a great effect on the glide.

Technohic 12-20-2010 12:31 PM

Yeah, Im hoping for a glidier Buzzz/Core or just a longer, faster Ion would be nice.

discspeed 12-20-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikinjack (Post 621738)
Do you know what the plastic's gonna be like? Soft? Medium? Firm? I'm assuming it will be the same types of plastic they're using for the Ion. I'm hoping they'll stay away from the softer stuff.

When I talked to Chad last summer I think I remember us both agreeing that we preferred stiffer mids...In general people don't tend to value soft mids like they do putters. That said, I bet they will make both soft and mediums. A soft could be money in the woods if they kick as little as the soft Ions, and I've thrown gummy QMSs, Rocs, Spiders, and Sharks that were nice. I hope the first runs are mediums though.

Waddly Hobbins 12-20-2010 12:37 PM

I'm just hoping that is something that allows me to still carry my Buzzz and Fuse w/o feeling like redundant while carrying a Vector.

Seeing as MVP has gotten a lot better with their QA since their very first runs, I hope that they keep that up upon release of the Vector. I am going to buy a first run Vector regardless, however, I would just prefer that the first run I buy be as good as the later runs. I don't throw my early Ions as much due to the fact that later runs molded up better.

bikinjack 12-20-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discspeed (Post 621750)
When I talked to Chad last summer I think I remember us both agreeing that we preferred stiffer mids...In general people don't tend to value soft mids like they do putters. That said, I bet they will make both soft and mediums. A soft could be money in the woods if they kick as little as the soft Ions, and I've thrown gummy QMSs, Rocs, Spiders, and Sharks that were nice. I hope the first runs are mediums though.

That's good to hear about the mediums. I can't wait to try one out.

Waddly Hobbins 12-20-2010 12:40 PM

I agree that a gummy soft proton plastic would be awesome for wooded drives. My soft Ions definitely tend to die on tree hits instead of bouncing off into the shule.

tom8658 12-20-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discspeed (Post 621740)
Yeah, but the Vector is going to have all the weight distributed to the outside of the disc...I'm imagining that this is going to have a great effect on the glide.

I'll believe it when I see it.

And I will see it, one way or another, because I'm going to buy at least two of these when the first production run hits Marshall St.

discspeed 12-20-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waddly Hobbins (Post 621755)
I'm just hoping that is something that allows me to still carry my Buzzz and Fuse w/o feeling like redundant while carrying a Vector.

Seeing as MVP has gotten a lot better with their QA since their very first runs, I hope that they keep that up upon release of the Vector. I am going to buy a first run Vector regardless, however, I would just prefer that the first run I buy be as good as the later runs. I don't throw my early Ions as much due to the fact that later runs molded up better.

I remember talking to Chad about a mid and we both thought at the time that something that started out a tick more stable than a Z Buzzz (more or less like the more overstable Z Buzzzes) would be ideal. We both thought that it should pretty much be like a longer Ion with more wind resistance.

Once again, these are just things Chad and I talked casually about last summer. He hasn't spoken to me yet about any of the specifics of the development of the Vector.

jivey311 12-20-2010 01:15 PM

I hope we can get some info on the flight ratings soon.

A neutral to under stable super glide disc would be great.

Waddly Hobbins 12-20-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discspeed (Post 621808)
Once again, these are just things Chad and I talked casually about last summer. He hasn't spoken to me yet about any of the specifics of the development of the Vector.

DON'T LIE! You have 15 of them right now, don't you?

:p

billnchristy 12-20-2010 01:23 PM

Glad to see them making more discs!

what'shisname 12-20-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discspeed (Post 621808)
I remember talking to Chad about a mid and we both thought at the time that something that started out a tick more stable than a Z Buzzz (more or less like the more overstable Z Buzzzes) would be ideal. We both thought that it should pretty much be like a longer Ion with more wind resistance.

Once again, these are just things Chad and I talked casually about last summer. He hasn't spoken to me yet about any of the specifics of the development of the Vector.

Oh man, that'd be great.

A blank Vector would just scream out for an Airplane dye!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/fVq4_HhBK8Y/0.jpg

BrotherDave 12-20-2010 01:48 PM

Behold, the second coming!

Technohic 12-20-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jivey311 (Post 621809)
I hope we can get some info on the flight ratings soon.

A neutral to under stable super glide disc would be great.

Thats available in a disc called a Fuse. :thmbup:

Which means I hope the Vector turns out to be how discspeed described; like a more overstable Z Buzzz would be. It would sit perfectly next to my Fuse.

agent_peebody 12-20-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BennettUA (Post 621671)
SIGN.

ME.

UP!

WORD! i want one now

Cgkdisc 12-20-2010 02:30 PM

PDGA site updated with Vector and specs: http://www.pdga.com/tech-standards

garublador 12-20-2010 02:32 PM

When I see this picture:
Quote:

Originally Posted by discspeed (Post 621648)

All I can think is, "You know, for kids."

jivey311 12-20-2010 02:40 PM

Yeehaw. I just bought a fuse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technohic (Post 621870)
Thats available in a disc called a Fuse. :thmbup:

Which means I hope the Vector turns out to be how discspeed described; like a more overstable Z Buzzz would be. It would sit perfectly next to my Fuse.


Frank Delicious 12-20-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 621854)
Behold, the second coming!

*points at crotch*


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.