Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Step/Jump Putt rule change? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137866)

RyanRehberg535 10-25-2020 04:17 PM

Step/Jump Putt rule change?

Heard Philo and Ian talking on Myrtle Beach Open commentary about a possible rule change coming that would eliminate the step/jump putt. I couldn't find any recent talk here or on r/discgolf about the topic.

Anyone here have any gouge or scoop on the subject?

disco40 10-25-2020 04:48 PM

Hard to think of a change that could effectively apply to long putts that wouldn't have undesirable consequences for longer throws.

Steve West 10-25-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanRehberg535 (Post 3648105)
Heard Philo and Ian talking on Myrtle Beach Open commentary about a possible rule change coming that would eliminate the step/jump putt. I couldn't find any recent talk here or on r/discgolf about the topic.

Anyone here have any gouge or scoop on the subject?

Time? Which round?

Casey 1988 10-25-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve West (Post 3648129)
Time? Which round?

Central Coast Disc Golf YouTube and on the 2020 Myrtle Beach Open round 1 part 1 24-25 minutes in.

GoobyPls 10-25-2020 07:11 PM

"No more step putts inside circle 2"

So basically extending the circle to 50 feet. Can't say I'm a fan

robdeforge 10-25-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve West (Post 3648129)
Time? Which round?

if the embedded timestamp doesn't work, skip to 24:50

Casey 1988 10-25-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disco40 (Post 3648112)
Hard to think of a change that could effectively apply to long putts that wouldn't have undesirable consequences for longer throws.

Yeah changing to circle 2 would then make some of those top pro players who can't make putts without jump putting suck bad past 33 feet and having your Ricky types at some tournaments being the only ones winning on the wide open long bomb courses. I see this rule if implemented having rules eventually changed it so no jump/step putting/throwing can be done at all in any circumstance as being ban from here on out, something I am fine with and eliminating the need for the 30 foot circle one or the circle 2. This rule of jump putting needed to be fixed in 2000's when pros were jump putting lots and clearly on the lower end footage not doing the jump putt correct yet not calling it. This is a shame as the few Pro's and amateur's that do it right, it is an wonderous site to see a jump putt work. Majority do not do it right or get called out for it.

disco40 10-25-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey 1988 (Post 3648139)
Yeah changing to circle 2 would then make some of those top pro players who can't make putts without jump putting suck bad past 33 feet and having your Ricky types at some tournaments being the only ones winning on the wide open long bomb courses. I see this rule if implemented having rules eventually changed it so no jump/step putting/throwing can be done at all in any circumstance as being ban from here on out, something I am fine with and eliminating the need for the 30 foot circle one or the circle 2. This rule of jump putting needed to be fixed in 2000's when pros were jump putting lots and clearly on the lower end footage not doing the jump putt correct yet not calling it. This is a shame as the few Pro's and amateur's that do it right, it is an wonderous site to see a jump putt work. Majority do not do it right or get called out for it.

I guess my question is what exactly could change without messing up other legitimate shots.

If you ban something like "moving a foot across a perpendicular line to the target before release," that takes away angles and power from people who are throwing around obstructions. It may have other consequences I haven't thought of, but that's a big one for me.

Orioles_Lefty 10-25-2020 08:08 PM

Philo references “next year.” If next year means 2021, I would question the decision process used, but I’m not going to make to much out of a comment made in the commentary booth. There’s a codified process for PDGA rule changes, right?

Cgkdisc 10-25-2020 08:15 PM

Maybe this rule tweak idea isn't PDGA but something being considered by the DGPT to be tested via waiver?