Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   DGCR Announcements & News (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First Diamond Trusted Reviewer! (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11390)

Countchunkula 03-23-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aclay (Post 3565480)
As other have said in various ways, I'm not stressing it, but I would like to reach gold status. I've got plenty of reviews (64) and more than 96 percent helpful (270-10). The issue is that most of my reviews are of courses with low traffic and few reviews. Nineteen of my reviews are for courses with 5 or fewer reviews and another 17 have 6-10. Only two of my reviews have as many as 10 votes. I'm averaging 4.375 votes per review. Is that really low?

I'm averaging 8.1 votes, but if you exclude a few common types I'm probably in your neighborhood. I've picked up a ton of votes on reviews of: top 10 courses, new courses where I was either the first reviewer or at least the first TR, and truly terrible courses. I'm probably averaging 15 votes each for these types of reviews.

As a low level gold reviewer, I'm probably a good comparison. Unfortunately, just like fantasy football, it's not as much what you are doing as what you are working with. If you aren't reviewing high profile courses, you won't get the thumbs regardless of the quality of your reviews.

dreadlock86 03-23-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aclay (Post 3565480)
As other have said in various ways, I'm not stressing it, but I would like to reach gold status. I've got plenty of reviews (64) and more than 96 percent helpful (270-10). The issue is that most of my reviews are of courses with low traffic and few reviews. Nineteen of my reviews are for courses with 5 or fewer reviews and another 17 have 6-10. Only two of my reviews have as many as 10 votes. I'm averaging 4.375 votes per review. Is that really low?


i think over 4 per review is pretty decent. i'm averaging 5.7 but i have 34 (out of 271) reviews with double digit thumbs up. of course, those are mostly destination courses or really popular local courses.

the occasional trip to a destination spot pays dividends. obviously you go for the golf but the votes are a nice bonus. Colorado, Rollin Ridge, Flip, Idlewild, etc. have scored me lots of votes.

i think TX reviews tend to get fairly few votes. seems like NC reviews get lots. where do y'all think review readers are the most generous?

wolfhaley 03-23-2020 08:25 PM

I would generally recommend not reviewing middle of nowhere elementary and middle schools like I tend to do a lot. However, one of these got me like 8 thumbs up this past summer or the one before. Probably more than I got for Wildcat Bluff, Iowa's top course, so who the hell knows lol.

wellsbranch250 03-23-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aclay (Post 3565480)
I'm averaging 4.375 votes per review. Is that really low?

No, that's actually pretty good. I was averaging around a 2 when i was at your review count.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlock86 (Post 3565549)
where do y'all think review readers are the most generous?

everywhere, when the reviewed course is overseas.


I wonder if there's going to be a review uptick over the next two months. I think Cerealman is sitting on a backlog of 30 reviews. I personally have a backlog of 10 as I managed a final road trip before all this mess. I Hit a dgcr 4.0 course in south Atlanta. Threw with Thrembo in Port Charlotte, and played 4 courses on the way back Huntsville that will average a 0.75 rating score when I find time to write them.

Cheers.

armiller 03-23-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aclay (Post 3565480)
As other have said in various ways, I'm not stressing it, but I would like to reach gold status. I've got plenty of reviews (64) and more than 96 percent helpful (270-10). The issue is that most of my reviews are of courses with low traffic and few reviews. Nineteen of my reviews are for courses with 5 or fewer reviews and another 17 have 6-10. Only two of my reviews have as many as 10 votes. I'm averaging 4.375 votes per review. Is that really low?

I echo what some others have shared. Which courses you review is probably the biggest determinant of thumbs. I've reviewed a decent number of little 9-holes with just a handful of reviews, but they usually don't get many votes. The other thing is that a certain volume of reviews is necessary even for the most famous reviewers to get gold. Do a search through trusted reviewers and you'll find some with WAY fewer reviews than you that are gold, and maybe some with more that aren't. There's some randomness involved, and I do agree that the Texas and Oklahoma areas are not particularly rewarding as far as thumbs.

Sometimes I've been particularly surprised by number of thumbs. In the end, there's a decent amount of luck involved. Just put your best into the reviews and it pays off in the end.

Cerealman 03-24-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3565567)
I wonder if there's going to be a review uptick over the next two months. I think Cerealman is sitting on a backlog of 30 reviews.

This is true. I have a number of reviews that I want/need to write, but finding time with one-and-a-half-year-old twin girls is challenging. However, I'm currently working from home as of Monday, so maybe there will be a bit of time to squeeze in more reviews. :)

I've played several courses recently with ZERO reviews, so they will take priority.

I've been blessed to have a healthy average of 6.27 votes per review. Especially now that I take the time to provide more details, unlike the first couple dozen reviews I wrote back in the day, haha.

aclay 03-24-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armiller (Post 3565638)
I echo what some others have shared. Which courses you review is probably the biggest determinant of thumbs. I've reviewed a decent number of little 9-holes with just a handful of reviews, but they usually don't get many votes. The other thing is that a certain volume of reviews is necessary even for the most famous reviewers to get gold. Do a search through trusted reviewers and you'll find some with WAY fewer reviews than you that are gold, and maybe some with more that aren't. There's some randomness involved, and I do agree that the Texas and Oklahoma areas are not particularly rewarding as far as thumbs.

Sometimes I've been particularly surprised by number of thumbs. In the end, there's a decent amount of luck involved. Just put your best into the reviews and it pays off in the end.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. The gold would just be a side benefit for me. I am too cheap to pay for Premium, so I try very hard to contribute to this awesome site by doing things such as reviewing under-reviewed courses and updating course conditions.

And on the Texas/Oklahoma front, I also have quite a few reviews in Mississippi (I have family there), which probably gets even fewer thumbs than Texas/Oklahoma.

blake833 03-24-2020 01:55 PM

So this piqued my curiosity and I'm bored for obvious reasons, so here's my stats:

103 Reviews, 760 upvotes, 51 downvotes, 7.874 votes/review, 7.379 upvotes/review.

Number of Upvotes - How many Reviews with that many upvotes
2 - 4
3 - 6
4 - 10
5 - 20
6 - 10
7 - 13
8 - 9
9 - 9
10 - 6
11 - 6
13 - 3
14 - 2
15 - 1
18 - 1
20 - 1
21 - 1
23 - 1

Maybe Steve can do something with that info.

Feel free to go upvote my reviews just to throw off my data!

blake833 03-24-2020 02:05 PM

I have more reviews with 5 upvotes than all my 10+ reviews combined. There's obviously more total votes in the 10+ category, and that's where you get some uniques.

DiscGolfCraig 03-24-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake833 (Post 3565865)
I have more reviews with 5 upvotes than all my 10+ reviews combined. There's obviously more total votes in the 10+ category, and that's where you get some uniques.

That's also a sign they same handful of people are voting for your reviews no matter what. It takes a review of a big name course to get other people to notice and vote.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.