Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   TL and Leopard3 pair (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124066)

elkevo 08-30-2016 10:18 AM

TL and Leopard3 pair

I currently have a star Teebird and star Leopard3 in my bag and am thinking about switching the Teebird out for a star TL. I'm not a power thrower and barely get out to 300' on a good day.

Would the TL/Leopard3 be a redundant pairing or be better than the Teebird/Leopard3 for this noodlearm?

Thanks!

SD86 08-30-2016 10:22 AM

I haven't tried a Leopard3, though I understand it's a good disc. The Star TL is a staple of my bag.

The TL and Leopard3 might be a bit redundant to each other as a pair, though I don't know how seasoned in your Leopard3 is.

mgamache8 08-30-2016 10:50 AM

I think you'd be ok. I'd just say get a (g)star Leo3 in the 160s. I have a beat 167 champ that doesn't turn at all and fades a lot, but I also have a newish 171 (g)star that flies just how it should.

bhadella 08-30-2016 11:02 AM

Star TL and a Pro Leopard would be a better pairing if you want those two molds. A TL gets pushed around by a headwind so I would personally go with a Teebird myself.

elkevo 08-30-2016 11:10 AM

SD86: The Leopard3 has only knocked a couple of trees, so I wouldn't call it seasoned by any stretch.

My Leo3 is 175g. I bought it on a whim at a local store, but like the way it feels and flies. I have a mid-weight pro leopard that I bought for my wife and a champ leopard as well that really turns on me, which is why I don't bag it.

I keep going back and forth about switching to a TL from a Teebird just because I don't think I have the arm for the 'bird. Honestly, I don't see much difference in the flight at my level. :\ Is it worth switching to the TL until I get better or just stick to the Teebird?

elkevo 08-30-2016 11:19 AM

Just to clarify, I'm not knocking the TL or considering it a lesser disc. At this stage of my game I'm just trying to keep myself down to two fairway drivers, which are also my distance drivers. Ultimately, I think a Teebird/Leopard3 pair is what I'm going for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Putt for D'oh 08-30-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkevo (Post 3059330)
I keep going back and forth about switching to a TL from a Teebird just because I don't think I have the arm for the 'bird. Honestly, I don't see much difference in the flight at my level. :\ Is it worth switching to the TL until I get better or just stick to the Teebird?

I'm not sure you will see too much difference between them based on your self description of power. From what I see they really don't separate much until they starting getting beat in some and add a bit extra power into them. Right off the shelf with barely 300' power I think they will fly very similar.

elkevo 08-30-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh (Post 3059335)
I'm not sure you will see too much difference between them based on your self description of power. From what I see they really don't separate much until they starting getting beat in some and add a bit extra power into them. Right off the shelf with barely 300' power I think they will fly very similar.

I see what you're saying and it seems that maybe I'm overthinking it.

Coincidentally, all three disks are 171g.

hugheshilton 08-30-2016 12:58 PM

How does the Leopard3 actually fly for you? Does it stay straight, does it fade out, or does it finish right? I'm guessing at your power a TL will go straight and then have some fade. I'd keep the Teebird in the bag for overstable skip shots and headwind duties. The TL can be your straight to fade main driver. Then you just need something that's a little more understable that you can hyzer flip to straight or that finishes right (RHBH), which I assume is where your leopard comes in?

SD86 08-30-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkevo (Post 3059330)
SD86: The Leopard3 has only knocked a couple of trees, so I wouldn't call it seasoned by any stretch.

Your experiences are similar to mine. I have a couple of Factory Second Star Teebirds, and a lot of Star and Champ TLs (and a GStar TL). When I threw the Star Teebirds, they were always fading a LOT more than the TLs. Some of that is my noodle arm, and some could be the Star Teebirds I have are just more overstable than the norm. But there was a huge difference for me.

Recently, I've been channeling my inner Nikko Locastro and throwing some anny flex shots with overstable discs, including my fresh (not beat in yet) Saint, Star Thunderbird, and back to the ol' Star Teebird. My TLs have been hodling the anny line while the Teebird flexes back and fades left (RHBH throw).

Moral of the story: Get a Star TL (maybe a Champ, too), try it out, work with it; I suspect you'll like it no matter what else happens. Over time, as you get batter, you can pick that Teebird up and work with it some more. If you don't like one of the discs, pay 'em forward and introduce someone else to the game...