Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Countchunkula 05-05-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pacific (Post 3582607)
"Digging into the biochemistry of viruses, we are struck in particular by a genetic string of RNA in covid-19 -- specifically the polybasic furin cleavage site PRRA -- that has all the appearance of an "insert" (i.e., something that does NOT look like a natural mutation)"

I highly suggest you watch the whole video, he breaks this down into a step by step process.

The geneticist that I heard interviewed had the opposite opinion. His take was that the mutation from the previously identified strain wasn't the kind of thing that had the appearance of design. His opinion was that it looked exactly like the random noise from a natural mutation. My understanding is that this is the consensus among those who have studied the virus's genome.

I'll echo Monacacy in saying that I have no problem changing my opinion when presented with evidence more compelling than what led me to my current opinion.

My general opinion with things like this is: why settle on an explanation that requires a lot of assumptions to be true when there is a simple, straightforward explanation?

Why do so many think there needs to be human intervention to make something happen that happens all the time in the natural world?

...because it's a conspiracy, duh!

Countchunkula 05-05-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3582798)
Interestingly, the Dismissers with anecdotal evidence of inflated covid-19 numbers, never use the biggest weapon in their arsenal: That overall death rates are unchanged, indicating that the covid-19 numbers are just other deaths, re-classified.

Of course, there's a reason they don't: they can't. It's not true. Where covid-19 has hit, overall death rates are up, by a margin greater than the official numbers would account for. If anything, covid-19 numbers are under-stated.

Was going to point this out, but you beat me too it. Data suggests covid deaths are under-reported. I'll take data over anecdotes any day of the week.

DavidSauls 05-05-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3582830)
Was going to point this out, but you beat me too it. Data suggests covid deaths are under-reported. I'll take data over anecdotes any day of the week.

Yes, but it's not just that. It's something I learned 40 years ago, arguing baseball rules with a lifelong baseball coach. "If it were true...." I'd pose something, say, "If the pitch hits the ground before it hits the batter, does he still get a base?" And the guy would say, "If it weren't true, pitchers would just bounce balls at batters they wanted to hurt." And so on. Whenever I was wrong, it seemed he had an "If it were true...." answer.

So, even before researching numbers, it occurred to me that If it were true, if covid-19 deaths were inflated, the Dismissers would bring out the unarguable answer of overall deaths. The fact that they don't, is pretty telling. (So are the numbers, once I looked them up).

"If it were true....." Always a good test to run doubtful claims through.

DavidSauls 05-05-2020 07:01 PM

Getting back to disc golf---after all, if you want to read about the broader overall topic of covid-19, there are probably places on the internet where you can find it---I am quite grateful to have access to a lightly-played course, where the gatekeepers can firmly request that all visitors observe social distancing rules. Some of our visitors have expressed their dismay and apprehension over conduct on popular public courses, so I'm also grateful to be able to give them the same opportunity, here.

Halcón 05-05-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3582772)
Hal, I hope you were joking. Just in case you were not, or for anyone who might have been misled by your post, here are some facts:

Herd immunity usually takes about 70% of the population to have effective antibodies.

New York State has conducted 15,000 antibody tests, finding 12% positives.

New York City found 20% testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. The highest percentage was from the Bronx, with 27% positives.

All of these numbers are well below the 70% required for herd immunity.

When is this data from?

BogeyNoMore 05-05-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3582905)
When is this data from?

My guess it it from the 1800's...

Halcón 05-05-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3582907)
My guess it it from the 1800's...

Lol. What? I'm asking for the date. As far as I know, this info came from April 22, but maybe he's quoting newer data.

BogeyNoMore 05-05-2020 08:18 PM

Somewhere in my cheek, there was a tongue.

Halcón 05-05-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3582919)
Somewhere in my cheek, there was a tongue.

Yea, I figured, but wasn't 100% certain. :)

Monocacy 05-05-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3582905)
When is this data from?

From May 2nd. First hit on searching for "new york antibody testing results":

Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Results of Completed Antibody Testing Study of 15,000 People Showing 12.3 Percent of Population Has COVID-19 Antibodies

NYC breakdown was from a different site, just as easily searched.