Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best driver for straight shots? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12688)

Donald Smith 03-01-2010 01:00 PM

Best driver for straight shots?

I was on top of a hill (#3 hole in Kirksville, MO) and throwing for the hole which is 400' away I think. I've tried several discs, and they all pretty much do the same thing. They fly out level ( no need to throw with Alt, since your a good 20 to 30' above the hole) then they turn right at almost a 90 degree angle and go almost as far to the right as they do forwards. I am throwing forearm, since it's a dog leg to the right.

I'm thinking if I had a disc that didn't fade so much, it would just keep going straight and land closer to the hole instead of off to the right.

The Starfire and FL look interesting. I've never throw either.

Can anyone suggest a straight driver? and share how it will preform off the top of a hill?

I know it's possible, I was at another course and saw this guy throw a disc that I thought was going to ace, but missed the basket by about 5 feet. It sure looked like it was a 280' straight throw with little to no fade, and I didn't see any S in it either.

Thanks!
Donald

Terry C 03-01-2010 01:04 PM

My 172g star ORC flys straight as an arrow, its the straightest flying disc I have. Ive heard many disc golfers say the same thing.

adamb258 03-01-2010 01:07 PM

of the drivers I am using and have experience with my striker seems to have the least fade for me on my FH shots.

joegraham 03-01-2010 02:01 PM

The new Discraft Stalker is really straight.....as a driver. On big downhill shots a stable or slightly understable midrange or even a stable putter will go the straightest if you can trust it to go the distance. Try these out, they won't hyzer off line much at all. A 400 foot shot losing 30 feet in elevation throws more like 250-280 maybe. What would you throw for that flat distance?

Terry C 03-01-2010 02:02 PM

^ the stalker is a great straight flying disc, it just dosent go as far as my orc will.

chain-addicted 03-01-2010 02:43 PM

Try a Viking. Its my go-to driver when I want little fade.

gcrussell4 03-01-2010 02:46 PM

On a downhill shot like that you want something a little less stable...try a leopard

DOGvsRAPTOR 03-01-2010 03:15 PM

for shorter drives I stick with the TeeBird, for longer shots I always trust a beat up star wraith.

Mr. Sir 03-01-2010 03:18 PM

I perfer the XS for straight drives. I also make my discs work for me, if there is room. I got a beat Rpro Boss that i hyzerflip and can make it shoot fairly striaght if i hyzer it enough, same with my FLX Surge SS. Work the disc.

waynewf 03-01-2010 03:32 PM

Sounds like you need a Surge SS....or an Avenger SS.....