Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Moonshine Havoc replacement (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130938)

tampabay 05-01-2018 04:15 PM

Moonshine Havoc replacement

So,

It seems as though the moonshine havoc is slowly being phased out. I haven't read anything official but, like most discs that go OOP, they just become harder and harder to find. Does anyone have a recommendation of something similar? I've already tried a Shryke and a Renegade and neither of those fit the bill. The moonshine havoc really shined because out of the box it had a lot of turn (a lot) but still had glide and a strong LSS at the end. I also liked the rim shape/width, it felt smaller than a lot of the true max distance options.

Currently I'm playing around with a GL Ballista but that is way more stable and the rim is bigger.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

SD86 05-01-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampabay (Post 3302829)
So,

It seems as though the moonshine havoc is slowly being phased out. I haven't read anything official but, like most discs that go OOP, they just become harder and harder to find. Does anyone have a recommendation of something similar? I've already tried a Shryke and a Renegade and neither of those fit the bill. The moonshine havoc really shined because out of the box it had a lot of turn (a lot) but still had glide and a strong LSS at the end. I also liked the rim shape/width, it felt smaller than a lot of the true max distance options.

Currently I'm playing around with a GL Ballista but that is way more stable and the rim is bigger.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

You might try a Sheriff; it's in the Havoc's ballpark.

tampabay 05-01-2018 04:33 PM

I tried a biofuzion sheriff and it didn't have near the LSS I was hoping for. I read somewhere that they are notoriously different run to run based on PLH which also kinda bummed me out :(

Here are the top candidates
MVP Octane/Teleport
Axiom Vanish/Excite
Discmania DD2
or
revisit Tern/Shryke and see if either work

I don't have any real brand loyalty.

SD86 05-01-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampabay (Post 3302838)
I tried a biofuzion sheriff and it didn't have near the LSS I was hoping for. I read somewhere that they are notoriously different run to run based on PLH which also kinda bummed me out :(

Here are the top candidates
MVP Octane/Teleport
Axiom Vanish/Excite
Discmania DD2
or
revisit Tern/Shryke and see if either work

I don't have any real brand loyalty.

The Lucid or Sparkle Lucid Sheriff is more OS than the Biofuzion and Fuzion. I have a Sparkle and it was my headwind disc until I disced down out of speed 13 discs. It's a good disc, but I'd understand if you don't want to give it a shot.

If you're thinking about the Octane, you might look at the Wave, which has a less wide rim than the Octane. I've tried both, and I like the Wave a lot; it might've been my long distance driver except the Tern is just my go-to, there.

I don't know if you've tried the DDx in either S-line or C-line. It's a little more stable than the Tern, and might work well for you.

Moose33 05-01-2018 04:42 PM

Axiom Mayhem or even a VIP King could work.

F. Howl 05-01-2018 04:50 PM

I've been interested in trying a Havoc (I dig perfectly flat wings). Didn't think they had that much turn, though. I know Ricky rolls a Gold Line, but I figured it was just a really beat one.

Anyway, if you are looking for an out of box turner, with a very similar profile, (rim width and depth as well) Crank SS. If that turns too much, a plain Crank. Tim Barham has some great looking ones for his tour series, this year and the last.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QAoAA...ch/s-l1600.jpg

Twmccoy 05-01-2018 06:29 PM

A Tern or Crank would be the discs I'd suggest. Both have high speed turn followed by noticeable fade.

I personally never liked the Havoc. For me it would turn over and stay there. Sometimes it would turn so bad it would be an unintentional roller.

swhite 05-01-2018 06:50 PM

Does the replacement disc have to be in glow plastic? If not, then get another Havoc - in Gold Line or Opto (some Frost Lines are available still too).

I've thrown a GL Havoc a fair bit, and like it for big turnover shots.

tampabay 05-02-2018 01:08 PM

These are all good suggestions. I never jived with the frost/opto havocs and I fear they will suffer the same untimely death as the moonshine. I am staying away from the King for the same reason. I like to go be able to buy 5 of any disc I throw off the shelf, preferably in multiple plastics.

I'll try a crank/crankSS/DD2/mayhem/excite and see what shakes out. Currently the excite is the most...exciting for me.

tampabay 05-05-2018 12:12 PM

I tried out the Mayhem and the Excite yesterday. Oh man, the rim on the Excite is FAT. Also, I had quite a bit of difficulty getting used to the grip of how the overmold fit into my hand.

174 Proton Mayhem - This may actually fit the bill. I only got a few throws in and it wasn't the most open course, but this thing actually had quite a bit of turn on it and consistently had LSS to back it up. I did notice that if I didn't get the cleanest release it seemed to fly much more stable than I would have expected. I also felt like the glide wasn't the greatest, but again, not an open course

174 Neutron Excite - This rim was so fat. Like...I threw Cannons and Rampages for a while and this rim still felt fat. I don't know if it was the grip of the overmold or if it was just that I haven't tried to BH a rim this thick in a while, but I couldn't get over it. All that to say, I think this thing can absolutely bomb. I didn't have much success with it on BH lines but I got some long FH shots in with it that absolutely crushed. It flew more like my ballista than like my havocs but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm glad I gave some overmold discs a try again, I'll need some open field work before I can truly give a verdict on these but it's a promising start.