Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tournaments & Leagues (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mad City Open Changes (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131817)

roggenb3 07-30-2018 09:46 AM

Mad City Open Changes

Well this is weak.

IMPORTANT CHANGES TO MAD CITY OPEN 2018

Hello, You are receiving this email because you are registered for MCO.

It is with great difficulty that we are announcing a drastic change to Mad City Open this year.

As an A-Tier, players are required to play 54 holes for the tournament. Everyone will now be playing one round of 27 holes on Saturday and one round of 27 holes on Sunday. The two courses used will be Bird's Ruins @ Charles Langer Family Park, and Vallarta-Ast @ Token Creek County Park. The new schedule and new pool assignments will be updated on DiscGolfScene.com

There may be some of you who feel this is not what MCO is meant to be and we don't disagree with you. However, the liability and extra expense introduced by the city is unprecedented. The parameters set forth by the City of Madison Parks Department no longer match the needs of this A-tier event. Therefore, Mad City Open will not be played at Hiestand or Elver this year.

There is still plenty to look forward to, and positive factors to keep in mind. Less traveling, more time for games and camaraderie while enjoying FREE beer from Ale Asylum & FREE dinner from Glass Nickel Pizza Co.

We ask for your patience and understanding as we do our best to make this event one to remember.

Sincerely,

Brian Peck

Tournament Director

roggenb3 07-30-2018 09:47 AM

The following are some of the areas where the
needs of MCO did not match that of the City of
Madison Parks Department.

-The City Parks Dept. decided to require MCO to
rent all shelters at the two city courses. We don't
feel comfortable spending funds on items the
tournament does not need, and will not use.

-There would be no guarantee for uninterrupted
play. Renting the courses will not give us exclusive
use of that terrain. If the general public show up
during the tournament wishing to use the terrain,
ultimately, we would have to allow it.

-They also deemed it necessary for every
competitor to have a permit to play the courses we
are already paying to rent. They informed us city
parks rangers could be at courses during the event
confirming daily/annual permits were purchased.

DiscJunkie 07-30-2018 10:18 AM

Thanks for showing restraint in your public announcement.
Your frustration is totally understandable.
Hopefully the city will back off of these policies.

My advice would be to continue to keep open the lines of communication with the city and try to find out what precipitated this change.
City parks depts tend to be reactionary, and it would be nice to know what is behind it.
In other words, ask questions instead of making accusations or self-entitled objections.
Based on your announcement, it seems like this is your plan.

brutalbrutus 07-30-2018 10:39 AM

It might be unprecedented for your area but not here. There is at least one local park that requires all three of the park shelters to be rented to get exclusive use of the course.

ru4por 07-30-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3335866)
It might be unprecedented for your area but not here. There is at least one local park that requires all three of the park shelters to be rented to get exclusive use of the course.

Agree. Many of the stipulation are pretty common, dependent upon the park system around here, as well. The changes sound like a pain in the backside and a hassle at best, but also agree that restraint and maintaining a positive approach will likely result in the best possible compromise in the end. Still can't be all bad......a weekend of flinging plastic outside with free beer involved. :D

roggenb3 07-30-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscJunkie (Post 3335858)
Thanks for showing restraint in your public announcement.
Your frustration is totally understandable.
Hopefully the city will back off of these policies.

My advice would be to continue to keep open the lines of communication with the city and try to find out what precipitated this change.
City parks depts tend to be reactionary, and it would be nice to know what is behind it.
In other words, ask questions instead of making accusations or self-entitled objections.
Based on your announcement, it seems like this is your plan.

Whoah, settle down there buddy. Everything in the first 2 posts is just copy/paste from an email from the TD to all registered players. I'm sure people will be talking about it on FB - not like I am breaking news here.

FYI, I have no "plan" except to play the tournament. It doesn't bother me all that much - I like token the best, usually play birds well, and never play well at Hstand. I am sad that we won't get Elver long to long though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3335866)

Yeah, it's definitely not unprecedented - we had to buy day passes for Greater Milwaukee Open this year - I don't think any players really had that big of an issue with that.

It's funny that the Mad City Open 2018 will not actually play any courses in Madison. Only Sun Prairie and Marshall.

brutalbrutus 07-30-2018 11:00 AM

Park district politics can be rather infuriating at times. I used to work at a county park district golf course(one of the bigger local park districts around) and it was an ever apparent issue.

I've heard all sorts of horror stories about courses, tourneys, work days etc. Sometimes I wonder, with all the hoops that they sometimes make people jump thru, why more parks don't run events themselves? Especially with the "trophy only" movement picking up steam, they wouldn't have to keep a stockpile of plastic.

roggenb3 07-30-2018 04:15 PM

Posted to DGScene's MCO page:

Quote:

MESSAGE FROM WI-TOUR DIRECTOR:

To MCO 2018 players. A change of course use has taken place. I wish to say that running a 4 course tournament for 300 players is insanely challenging. Not simply staff wise but expenses quadruple. No TD wants to make this type of change as Brian has stated. As WI Tour Director I support the changes as they do satisfy all PDGA and WI DISC GOLF TOUR sanction agreements. It still IS MAD CITY OPEN. Unlike the past few years when most players did not get to play Elver or Hiestand, this will be more fair as no one will play Elver or Hiestand. A big part of MCO is the community gathered. Let's not change that.

Brad Wendt

JC17393 07-30-2018 04:53 PM

I can understand disappointment from players that an event had to make a change from its traditional format. I can only hope they're directing their disappointment in the right direction, which sounds like is toward the parks department that changed policies and made it more difficult for the TD. He's doing the best he can with an unfortunate situation.

Other than make refunds available to the players that no longer want to participate due to the changes, I don't believe there's much else the TD should or could do. Sounds like he's doing and saying the right things.

roggenb3 07-30-2018 05:27 PM

Yeah, nothing to be done, really. Other than trying to just make the best of it.

I can't say that I'm surprised.