Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   VERY overstable mids (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18411)

hewittdallas 07-17-2010 07:08 PM

VERY overstable mids
 
Does anyone else carry really overstable mids in their bag? I am talking more stable than Rocs/Wasps (e.g. Demon, Drone, etc...)

I recently acquired a bunch of Gateway discs to try them out and have had fun throwing a lot of new plastic. One of these acquisitions was a bright pink Demon in S plastic. At first, I was really surprised by just how overstable the disc really was and as I was throwing it on the practice field, it just didn't impress me. However, I have now played 36 holes since I picked the disc up and I honestly believe it has saved a stroke every single time I have thrown it.

I was just curious if others used discs like this or just shaped different lines with slightly less stable discs.

scottp 07-17-2010 07:13 PM

I have a drone I keep in my bag and it's saved me quite a few times. It's a disc I only use every so often but it's great to have it for those odd times.

Dave Walters 07-17-2010 07:13 PM

I have very stable champ roc for most shots.

but the workhorse overstable mid in my bag is a zone.

I can crank on it and it wont turn.

Jesse B 707 07-17-2010 07:24 PM

i personally find really overstable mids to be useless, in every situation where i would use one it is a higher percentage shot to either throw a 75% power one stepper with my overstable driver (XXX) or add some more hyzer to my stable mid (Roc, aftershock, Buzz or whateva), i find that either of these shots is more consistent for me than muscleing a beefy mid (which usually takes a much harder throw to get the same distance as either of the other shots.....harder throw=less accuracy)

to each there own though, there are plenty of players who play quite well with their Drones, Demons, Gators or whatever, they have never done my scores any good though

Midnightbiker 07-17-2010 07:25 PM

I just use a Discraft Force, thrown at slower speeds. Its a "meat hook".

hewittdallas 07-17-2010 07:35 PM

So judging by the responses so far, there is a good mix of how people handle this shot. I really hated that demon in practice, but it is just one of those discs for me that seems to know exactly what I want it to do. Although, I do underpower a stable driver from time to time to get similar effects as well.

I do think one thing I have preferred with the Demon over my drivers though is the way it settles. A lot of times I still get skips and other unpredictable landings with drivers, but the mids seems to finish more consistently all the way through. Again, just my experience, but it has been really useful thus far.

Technohic 07-17-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse B 707 (Post 413937)
i personally find really overstable mids to be useless, in every situation where i would use one it is a higher percentage shot to either throw a 75% power one stepper with my overstable driver (XXX) or add some more hyzer to my stable mid (Roc, aftershock, Buzz or whateva), i find that either of these shots is more consistent for me than muscleing a beefy mid (which usually takes a much harder throw to get the same distance as either of the other shots.....harder throw=less accuracy)

to each there own though, there are plenty of players who play quite well with their Drones, Demons, Gators or whatever, they have never done my scores any good though

Same here.

Or I just take my mid or Pred and dont do a full arm throw but snap it with my wrist at an angle like this / and it seems to let the air just push it around the turn

Dave Walters 07-17-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittdallas (Post 413947)
I do think one thing I have preferred with the Demon over my drivers though is the way it settles. A lot of times I still get skips and other unpredictable landings with drivers, but the mids seems to finish more consistently all the way through. Again, just my experience, but it has been really useful thus far.

Exactly why i have an over stable mid.
It all boils down to Skip or no skip.

Lets see anyone call that overstable mid worthless when you are looking at a 230' hyzer with water to the right or left (righty lefty scenario)

That skip could be costly.

Mike C 07-17-2010 08:25 PM

I always just hyzer a Buzz. Played with a drone for a few rounds that was fun to toss on flex shots, but never found much of a use for it. Plan to give it another try someday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Walters (Post 413954)
Exactly why i have an over stable mid.
It all boils down to Skip or no skip.

Lets see anyone call that overstable mid worthless when you are looking at a 230' hyzer with water to the right or left (righty lefty scenario)

That skip could be costly.

I find soft plastic putters don't skip very far ;)

eegor 07-17-2010 08:30 PM

I have a Gator in the bag... I really like it when it's needed.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.