Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Losing Plastic (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95499)

Flip Hyzerman 09-16-2013 11:45 PM

Losing Plastic

Does anyone else get really bummed about losing discs? It seems like every time I lose one (and I lost TWO tonight) I think to myself 'I don't even want to play right now'. Obviously, disc loss happens during DG - it's a fact of life that every disc you like will quite likely be lost or forgotten at some time. So how do you guys battle the frustration of losing a disc? Buy more? Stop playing for awhile?

It's quite literally my least favorite thing about DG.

BogeyNoMore 09-16-2013 11:50 PM

I think most players hate losing discs, but how much really depends on the individual disc, how expendable that particular disc is to your game, and obviously, how hard/costly it will be to replace it.

IMO, how well you deal with it says something about you.

Kodachrome 09-16-2013 11:54 PM

Honestly, losing a disc seriously pisses me off. Puts me in a funk for the rest of my round, quite possibly my day. I don't have a lot of money to throw around. All my "play" money goes to disc golf. I also dye most of my discs, and it is a very time consuming procedure. The idea of some ****head walking around with a disc I spent *hours* looking for really gets me going.

I deal with it by playing at least one more round of disc to finish on a good note and then reevaluate my bag. I inevitably wind up using a different disc to cover the same shot for the most part, and get to know my other discs better. However, my axis is indispensable when I need a fairway driver distance with no fade, some wind handling ability on a flat line drive...and I lost it. Fuse certainly could not cover that shot. My rival is pretty close, but not as much control...

At some point the bag evaluation stops and I figure out whether or not I needed that disc. If I did, I buy another like it. Honestly I used to have way more discs. Losing the extras helped consolidate my bag as I learned more about the ones I still had. :)

nolangherity 09-16-2013 11:56 PM

i dont like losing my discs because i know someones gonna love finding my sweet ****.

if i was finding tensors and tangents in the weeds i wouldn't care, but everyone else seems to lose trash.

BigGAC1 09-17-2013 12:02 AM

I hate losing discs as well! Today I had a disc returned to me and then promptly turned around and lost it on the following round. Really pissed me off! I actually played great, but still went home feeling beat just because I lost a piece of plastic I liked...

DaddyTookTeebirdAway 09-17-2013 12:04 AM

Losing discs bums me out enough that it often takes precedence over my score. I could play my best round ever but if I lost a disc I'm coming home pissed off. Conversely, after playing an awful round, I often think to myself, "At least I didn't lose any discs today." A successful round is returning home with all my discs.

Grungedude42 09-17-2013 12:06 AM

Each time I throw a disc, I'm mentally prepared to lose it. I may not be, you know, ecstatic about it, but it doesn't wreck my day. I was really bummed about losing my go-to lime Volt (which I had bought for myself as a birthday present last November right on launch weekend) a month ago. But, now I get to start a new one all over again, and it didn't take long to click with my pinkie.

Honestly, I get more bummed about retiring a disc. I finally put my two ace discs on the wall, along with my first two discs I had back in college. I did replace them really well though, the new ones fly just like my old ones. I guess it's cool to see them on the wall each time I go in the garage, and I'd really hate to lose them. But still, they flew so nice for those two throws.

Stardoggy 09-17-2013 12:07 AM

It all comes around. I find more discs than I lose...even after returning all the discs with numbers on them (and giving away a few more to newbs), I had enough left over to trade for some new DGA straps the other day.

BTW, why does everyone seem to lose Champ Starfires? I've found three of them in the last 6 weeks.

mashnut 09-17-2013 12:08 AM

At this point, I throw all easily replace-able discs (except for beat rocs and wizards so I've built up backup stacks of those) and I've lost something like 70 discs in the last 10 years. It's just plastic, I can easily put another one in the bag that will perform just as well.

MrGlass01 09-17-2013 12:10 AM

Bums me out for a bit, but means I get new plastic! But for a long time when I pass where I lost a disc I pause and have a moment of silence for a lost friend.

Stardoggy 09-17-2013 12:10 AM

Plus, losing a disc is an excuse to replace it, and maybe pick up something new. New plastic is always fun.

pmatt1969 09-17-2013 12:14 AM

I don't get mad about losing a disc. I get mad about throwing a bad shot. I got what I deserved. I have backup plastic to replace the disc I lost. And I do not carry the anger through the rest of the round. If I am going to get upset over A $15.00 disc, I either cannot afford to play this sport or I have a lack of self control. The better you get, the less plastic you lose. You lose less if you buy all orange like I do... :thmbup:

Kodachrome 09-17-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmatt1969 (Post 2173998)
I don't get mad about losing a disc. I get mad about throwing a bad shot. I got what I deserved. I have backup plastic to replace the disc I lost. And I do not carry the anger through the rest of the round. If I am going to get upset over A $15.00 disc, I either cannot afford to play this sport or I have a lack of self control. The better you get, the less plastic you lose. You lose less if you buy all orange like I do... :thmbup:

Until fall here in mn....yuck. that's disc losing season, man.

elmexdela 09-17-2013 12:18 AM

i stopped throwing proto sidewinders because if i ever lost it i would be hella pissed for a few days. a $50 disc gone with one bad toss sounds terrible so i traded mine away. this year the only one i lost that i was pissed about was my perfectly seasoned flat champ sidewinder. its the beat in to perfection discs that you lose that suck. a brand new one is no big deal you just go to the store and find one just like it and start over. it took 2 years to beat that sucker in.

DiscinFiend 09-17-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashnut (Post 2173989)
At this point, I throw all easily replace-able discs (except for beat rocs and wizards so I've built up backup stacks of those) and I've lost something like 70 discs in the last 10 years. It's just plastic, I can easily put another one in the bag that will perform just as well.

:thmbup: I throw all production run discs (except my Champion Gators), I also do the same as mashnut & I have backup stacks of Rocs. After I lost a a few CE discs I stopped throwing OOP discs/plastics. Now I don't get nearly as upset as I used to when I lost a disc, I also worry less when throwing. In the past there were certain holes that I wanted to throw a certain disc but I wouldn't because it was rare, expensive or OOP. I no longer have this problem as I now see very disc as replaceable & I'm now more confident with my throwing.

mattc 09-17-2013 07:13 AM

This is why I don't cycle discs
Oh well, I will just grab another one.
The only time it bothered me lately, was at a tourney, I lost a go to driver.
Now I carry backups of my go to discs on tourney days.

dgar 09-17-2013 08:11 AM

Losing disc is never fun, although I've never let it ruin my day or the rest of my round for that matter. As a newbie I have several disc (probably too many) but I don't have back ups to my favorites. My favorite driver for a RHFH tee shot is my CH Wraith.. I need to make this my next purchase I would hate to put this one in the water. Speaking of water, really? who's bright Idea was it to put water shots on a DG course, I get ball golf, golf balls cost 1-5 bucks.. but 15 dollars for a Disc ouch.. Ive been playing about three months and probably lost about six disc all but one in the water! The local course I play most has about six holes where water comes into play off the tee, some require a decent drive to clear.. Many days I just skip these holes :(.. Last Saturday I was playing with a foursome the other three guys were all pretty experienced and between them they lost 4 disc all in the water.. 60 dollars in one round..

Id like to start the campaign to end water on DG courses.. :D

StarFirebird 09-17-2013 08:27 AM

I don't get mad like I use to about losing a disc. A while back I used all of that collectable plastic like the 10x KC Pro plastic,jolly rancher plastics and that old Discraft Plastics.When you lost one of those you wanted to pull your hair out.

Now that we have all these great companies I can easily replace what I have in my bag now. If I lose it I can just get another.

simpletwist 09-17-2013 09:04 AM

I have a motto, "No man (disc) left behind." That said even after some exhaustive searches I have left some behind. Its never pleasant. And rarely have I ever lost a disc I really don't like. I always put my name and number on my discs, and about 1/4 of those lost have been returned.

In the grand scheme of things, I get bummed, but not for long. Just gives me an excuse to buy more plastic. For me its not that big of a deal because I never throw OP or Collector discs. Lose a Champion Orc, it can be replaced. Lose a Z Nuke, easily replaced.

If anything, losing a disc because of a bad throw only increases my determination to throw better.

2002P51 09-17-2013 09:07 AM

I once lost two discs in a single round. One was brand new and being played for the first time. I was having a lousy round anyway, playing poorly, so I got disgusted with the whole thing and walked off the course in the middle of the round. Since then, whenever I play this course, I'm so concerned about losing any more discs that I don't play aggressively enough and usually end up with a lousy score.

But there is karma.

I once lost my all time favorite disc on another course. I spent 45 minutes searching the underbrush with no luck. I was really bummed. I came back the next day and spent another half hour looking for it. I did not want to lose that disc!

A couple days later I found somebody else's disc and called the number on it. The owner was still on the course and I got his disc back to him.

Then 3 weeks after that, I was checking in the pro shop at the course and somebody had turned my long lost disc in and I got it back!

rd.bittle 09-17-2013 09:11 AM

They're easy to find when they land in the basket. :D

Monkeypaws 09-17-2013 10:37 AM

I've only lost a couple discs in my short career - one was a crud Valk I found in the brush a week earlier, which ended up 40' into a lake, an the other was a RGL Diamond, dark grey (inevitable), which blew into the weeds never to be seen again. I was moderately bummed about the Diamond.

My son is pretty carefree about losing plastic - he's lost some nice Rivers this year, and it's pretty much, "well, looks like I won't be getting that one back" after 5 minutes of looking.

I do keep cheap dx chuckers around for water shots and the like: oddly, they've some of the most dependable discs in my bag.

breynnmike 09-17-2013 10:50 AM

I don't give up till I find it. I haven't lost one this year (knock on wood). That's how I deal with it lately. My OCD won't let me give up. I tend to attract burrs this way though. Unfortunately a couple years ago I lost my 10 year old Champion Edition Valkyrie in the lake at Kirkland, IL. I will never be happy about that one though. Ever.

bradharris 09-17-2013 10:56 AM

I'm actually pretty good about not losing discs. Most of my losses come on shots where I know there's a lost disc potential (water carries usually). For these shots, I make sure to use discs that are completely expendable. If it ends up in the drink, it doesn't bother me much.

titovanburen 09-17-2013 10:59 AM

I once re-purchased a disc I'd previously lost at PIAS. Someone crossed out part of my phone number and brought it in for store credit. When I lost a couple first run PDs within a month, I ended up waay overstocking on backups. So it hurts to lose one but its exciting knowing its time to pick out a new one from the backups. And it also hurts a little knowing I'm littering...most people don't think about it that way.

Basshunter 09-17-2013 11:53 AM

I consider losing discs a part of the game. Fortunately, I don't lose many and most come back home thanks to other DGers. The idea of ruining a round because of a lost disc seems defeatist to me...I'm out there to have fun. I'll certainly devote 15 minutes to a lost disc if I have time, but beyond that, my time is worth more than the missing disc.

SteezeOG 09-17-2013 11:56 AM

If I can't stand to lose a disc I'll never throw it. I try to tell myself when buying a new disc that I will probably lose it quick. If I don't it's a pleasant surprise. Some discs like putters and mids I never seem to lose often. Discs like the Escape that I go to so often I can lose all the time. Just buy backups when you can and play a smart game. Loses happen. I still lose less plastic in terms of money than I would lose golf balls when I played golf. A sleeve of three premium balls is about the cost of one premium disc. I can easily lose a sleeve on the course. I don't lose a disc every round.

stealthfalcon84 09-17-2013 12:41 PM

My reaction depends on the disc. I usually keep one or two in my bag that I'm not real sentimental about or that are spares to ones I normally throw and will throw those on holes where I know there's water or a good chance I could lose said disc. I haven't had a disc loss throw me off my game or put me into a funk. The discs that mean a lot to me (like the first disc I ever bought which pulled me head over feet into the sport) is no longer in my bag and sits on a shelf at home.

JoeBob21 09-17-2013 12:46 PM

I had a TP Warship that i left in a fairway, It was during leagues and I asked everyone who was playing in it, and trust that they didnt find my disc. I asked two other groups if they had found a disc and were kinda awkward when I asked. As for how i react... Its hard for me to play well when im concentrated on where and when i may find my disc, essentially my round is ruined. This warship was perfectly worn in and had a flight path i have never seen on another disc. It is one of my top 3 go to discs. I am not happy, Im worried if i buy another warship to replace it, I wont be happy with its flight pattern.

ohtobediscing 09-17-2013 01:05 PM

As I quit throwing OOP plastic, the only discs that bother me when I lose them are the beat-in anhyzer discs or the favorite putter---though if I'm losin' those, I should find a less schule-infested course.

JeremyKShort 09-17-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stardoggy (Post 2173987)
It all comes around. I find more discs than I lose...even after returning all the discs with numbers on them (and giving away a few more to newbs), I had enough left over to trade for some new DGA straps the other day.

BTW, why does everyone seem to lose Champ Starfires? I've found three of them in the last 6 weeks.

I have lost far more discs than I've found. I've never found anything that has made my bag. When I lose discs it seems to be in clumps. I'll lose three in a week and just completely go off the rails on the last one.

wake911 09-17-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flip Hyzerman (Post 2173950)
Does anyone else get really bummed about losing discs? It seems like every time I lose one (and I lost TWO tonight) I think to myself 'I don't even want to play right now'. Obviously, disc loss happens during DG - it's a fact of life that every disc you like will quite likely be lost or forgotten at some time. So how do you guys battle the frustration of losing a disc? Buy more? Stop playing for awhile?

It's quite literally my least favorite thing about DG.

Agreed. I learned on a course that had 99.99% chance of not losing a disc. The first time i lost a disc on a nother course, i was so bummed. Now i play on courses all the time where i lose discs. I hate it. Really zaps the desire to play from me. I love buying new plastic, just because. When i have to buy new plastic to replace a disc, it ticks me off. I have lost more this year, playing new courses, than ever, and my zest for the game has been dwindling as well.

Halcón 09-17-2013 02:11 PM

I've only lot 5 discs so far, so it's a rare occurrence for me. I get really bummed out too, especially after losing my FR Axis, and well loved Vision. In fact, the Vision was my first lost disc in over a year. I'm glad I don't play some of the courses you all have to suffer through.

Stardoggy 09-17-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyKShort (Post 2174536)
I have lost far more discs than I've found. I've never found anything that has made my bag. When I lose discs it seems to be in clumps. I'll lose three in a week and just completely go off the rails on the last one.

I also happen to live half a block away from a 9 holer, inhabited by mostly chuckers. It's actually how I got into the sport...I'd be walking my dog, and come across discs all the time. Even after returning the discs with #'s, I ended up with a stack of about ten in the garage. The rest, they say, is history.

What I have been finding lately, is a lot of super light (120-150g) DX plastic, which is working out nicely for my 9yo daughter. She can put her 126 DX Firebird out to about 100-120', which is pretty cool.

HeavyCritters 09-17-2013 03:01 PM

Granite Ridge at High Bridge Hills (most notably the F'ING POND ON THE LEFT AT HOLE SEVEN) has eaten 4 discs of mine alone in the past year and a half.

Last time was a brand new Z Flash that I had fallen in love with. I knew better than to throw the thing, but I did it anyway.

Splish Splash.

Sad Panda.

Grungedude42 09-17-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyKShort (Post 2174536)
I have lost far more discs than I've found. I've never found anything that has made my bag.

I pulled a no name, no number disc out of the creek a couple months ago. Pro Pig, 175g, damn near new. Never threw one before that, now I love them. The found disc is still in my bag, too.

Flip Hyzerman 09-17-2013 03:30 PM

Thx for the commiseration everyone - I guess the lost-disc frustration is just part of the game, and encourages you to think more before shooting about your shot and disc selection. Think it might be time for a short break for me - maybe come back and re-evaluate my bag and mindset.

fountg 09-17-2013 03:51 PM

I hate the fact that I lose discs like its going out of style, yet never find anyone else's lost discs. Most of mine I end up finding (because Im persistant as hell and Im not above spending an extra 3 hours at the course in the same bush looking for my disc) but I have never once found a 'wild' disc. If I found one with a number Id definetly call, but itd be nice to score a free disc here and there.

BirdieMachine 09-17-2013 04:11 PM

If I lose a disc I kick the dog and beat the wife. Not always in that order.

ThomasOrion 09-17-2013 04:11 PM

yeah, it can bum me out too....but as long as it wasnt SUPER unique or one that I spent 4 hours dying myself, etc etc. Then I try to laugh it off and I always find something that Fills the void. Often times I end up getting a new arrangement and it works great. A silver lining so to speak.

Keep ya head up....it's just plastic. You didnt lose your wallet, right? or phone? So dont let it F up your mood too much.