Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rules Questions & Discussion (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Time To Opt Out Of Player Packs? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135428)

DiscFifty 11-26-2019 01:57 PM

Time To Opt Out Of Player Packs?

Disclaimer: I have ZERO problems with TDs making as much money as they can from running tournaments. They deserve to be paid well for their time.

But I am not a fan of forced profits. I'd like to see an option at even registration where the player gets a discounted price to play in return for not having a player pack. I also understand the need for the TD to get things organized when it comes to ordering said player packs, that's why if the PDGA does ever mandate this, the window for opting out of player packs would close after a certain time after registration opens.

jenb 11-26-2019 02:25 PM

If TDS are FORCED to offer a lower price fir opting out of players packs, what’s to stop them from making it $50 with players pack, $49 without? It just seems impractical to require TDS to offer an opt out?

biscoe 11-26-2019 02:29 PM

TD's can already do this if they choose. The PDGA ceasing to require player's packs would be a better idea.

ThrowBot 11-26-2019 02:34 PM

If you don't want to pay for the players pack as part of the registration fee, you are free to "opt out" by not playing that tournament.

JC17393 11-26-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3524055)
Disclaimer: I have ZERO problems with TDs making as much money as they can from running tournaments. They deserve to be paid well for their time.

But I am not a fan of forced profits. I'd like to see an option at even registration where the player gets a discounted price to play in return for not having a player pack. I also understand the need for the TD to get things organized when it comes to ordering said player packs, that's why if the PDGA does ever mandate this, the window for opting out of player packs would close after a certain time after registration opens.

How is a player pack any more of a "forced profit" than paying out the winners in merch? Same amount of money paid to the TD, and same profit margins, whether he pays it all out in prize merch or player pack merch or some combination of the two. Only difference is the pressure on the TD for prize merch is to have more variety available and hence more stock than he truthfully needs...which wipes out his margins unless he runs a bunch of tournaments.

Just say what you really mean...you want more stuff to win than you want stuff handed to everyone before play begins. In other words, you want to be a pro without being a pro.

Golden Tuna 11-26-2019 03:34 PM

The concept of players packs equating to TD profit is a misnomer...

_MTL_ 11-26-2019 03:50 PM

Opt out / in is a terrible idea.

What it creates is the TD not knowing how much merch to purchase for the event. This creates either a shortage or the TD dropping extra money and having 37 shirts left over. Even if an event fills in 15 minutes months in advance, there is so much fluctuation in registration with drops and wait lists up to the day before. Then your back to the same issue. It's ok for a TD to make money but it's not ok to lose money and that's what's setting up to happen here. Or 18 pissed off people that they didn't get a shirt.

The solution is it should be scaled. Advanced men and women is the most competitive amateur division and should offer no player pack and all money towards payout. Recreational and novice divisions should be player pack only. The divisions in the middle should be a hybrid of the two.

DavidSauls 11-26-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 3524075)
Just say what you really mean...you want more stuff to win than you want stuff handed to everyone before play begins. In other words, you want to be a pro without being a pro.

I don't think that's what he said. If players could opt out of a players pack for a discounted entry, it wouldn't affect the prize payout.

From the TD's perspective, it all depends on how much of a discount we're talking about. If it's the net cost of the players pack, then it's a financial wash.

But it would be an accounting nightmare, with some players opting out and some not.

I'm wish Biscoe, I'd like to see the PDGA quit requiring them at higher tiers, and like to see TDs quit giving them, at all, and reduce the entries accordingly. Which is not the same as saying TD's should do that---they're going to do what they think players want---but I'd be a little bit happier.

DavidSauls 11-26-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _MTL_ (Post 3524108)
The solution is it should be scaled. Advanced men and women is the most competitive amateur division and should offer no player pack and all money towards payout. Recreational and novice divisions should be player pack only. The divisions in the middle should be a hybrid of the two.

Fewer "should bes", more TD freedom.

DiscFifty 11-26-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 3524075)

Really? :wall:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134052

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3524109)
I don't think that's what he said. If players could opt out of a players pack for a discounted entry, it wouldn't affect the prize payout.

Correct. Even though my stance on "am pros" has been documented dozens of times in this forum, I would LOVE if the whole merch thing for ams would simply go away, but that will never happen. Player packs is a random hit or miss thing. Players generally like them when they're new to tournaments and seem to not care for them after they have played a few. So why not give the player a chance to opt out?