Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Shoes - Best bang for your buck? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113439)

Jesterian 03-03-2015 06:54 AM

Shoes - Best bang for your buck?

I've been playing in NB 574's for quite a while now, but although the soles are single piece (required for a shoe to hold up while being pivoted on) they come loose fairly early. Rough, because those things are super comfortable. They're also about $55 for a pair.

I am looking for something along the same lines. A lightweight tennis shoe, that's cheap and durable. Single piece soles of course.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

SpikeHyzer 03-03-2015 10:36 AM

I played in a pair NB minimus shoes for the past couple of years(Multi-Sport Minimus). This year, I discovered the Columbia Conspiracy Razor. They have a Vibram'ish type rubber sole, but I want to say these aren't a one piece sole. They are lightweight, seem to be durable and can be found for a price ranging from $29.99 to $86.99. I bought two pair for $35 each.

goeyj 03-03-2015 12:44 PM

I've been playing in some $20 Wal-Mart trail running shoes. Rugged and durable enough for hiking around all different terrain in all weather conditions. The previous 2 pairs have lasted me about 4-5 months each. For the amount of wear I put on them, that's a good bargain! Plus, if I'm only spending $20 on dedicated disc golf shoes, I don't get upset when they get all muddy or I step in a creek.

djcadence 03-03-2015 01:49 PM

I've been using 574's for years myself, then switched to a pair of Nike Dunks low..I love how you don't have to worry about the sole coming lose at the toe. I also just invested in some Oboz waterproof hikers, they have been the best investment I've made in years. Now I have no worries about wet feet, and playing in the snow or rain.

jchoate7 03-03-2015 01:59 PM

Patagonia Drifter A/C's are the way to go! Pricey up front yes but the shoes have lasted me for 3 years. Over the course of the 3 years I've been using the shoes I've been able to occasionally search clearance racks and found myself 2 back ups for $50 a piece. Great in all weather.

mashnut 03-03-2015 02:02 PM

I've just been picking up lightly used skate shoes at the thrift store for dry days, $5 gets me a pair of shoes that lasts 6 months to a year and extends the life of my waterproof disc golf shoes tremendously. I got some shoe sanitizing spray (like they use at bowling alleys) and I use that and leave the shoes in the sun for a day or two and they're good to go.

sumo21 03-24-2015 05:44 PM

Big 5 always has good deals on hiking shoes/boots. I'm a big guy, 375, and they last me over a year, about 15 months. That's continuous use. I'm currently only wearing those shoes that I designate for disc golf for disc golf. I'm guessing that time will easily double or triple.

BrotherDave 03-24-2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashnut (Post 2717067)
I've just been picking up lightly used skate shoes at the thrift store for dry days, $5 gets me a pair of shoes that lasts 6 months to a year and extends the life of my waterproof disc golf shoes tremendously. I got some shoe sanitizing spray (like they use at bowling alleys) and I use that and leave the shoes in the sun for a day or two and they're good to go.

The route I've been leaning towards, getting tired of shelling out big money for Merrells.

Aim For The Chains 03-24-2015 06:31 PM

stores like marshals, tj maxx, Burlington coat factory etc always have some good deals on shoes. Even been seeing merrells and the like there at $40ish. Definitely agree with mash though if you don't mind slightly used I would buy work boots there for some guys who would always show up to jobs in tennis shoes for the similar price of $5. Once in while you could find a the hard or steel toe even!

mashnut 03-24-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 2734990)
The route I've been leaning towards, getting tired of shelling out big money for Merrells.

I still keep a pair of waterproof shoes around (my current ones are Merrells), I just make them last a lot longer by only using them on days when the waterproofing is necessary.