Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   the case for or against ramps to make roller aces possible (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91300)

nolangherity 06-30-2013 02:57 AM

the case for or against ramps to make roller aces possible

in 1973 a hubcap fell off a caprice classic on the highway and continued rolling straight, eventually turning to the left into oncoming traffic where it hit a semi truck carrying radioactive waste causing a 27 car pileup. 5 deaths and months of clean up later the frisbee roller shot was born.

since that magical moment disc golfers have been throwing roller shots no matter how many beers they drank that day. dave fendberg threw a roller in sweden in 2006 and everyone went nuts, but now the question beckons:

should we put ramps in front of baskets to allow for roller aces?

http://i.imgur.com/GjbFShF.jpg?1

for over 38th years disc rollers have been discriminated against on achieving true perfection of discs in chain basket. i think its time we allow these people to make their dreams a reality, and really grow the sport.

discuss :cool:

New013 06-30-2013 03:01 AM

hole 18 at kentwood is a downhill shot but right before the basket is a little dry creek bed; but right before the creek bed is this natural little ramp thing. i've tried numerous times to roll one down and jump the creek and ace it. it almost happened once....

so yes i'm for this.

dehaas 06-30-2013 03:06 AM

Skip ace off of the ramp trumps roller ace. What if the roller ace hit the center post and kicked out or cut all the way through and kept rolling?

Dr.feelgood 06-30-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dehaas (Post 2060979)
Skip ace off of the ramp trumps roller ace. What if the roller ace hit the center post and kicked out or cut all the way through and kept rolling?

I agree. there's no way that disc would stay in the basket.

optidiscic 06-30-2013 03:34 AM

Quakers challenge in pa has a ramp on a downhill roller friendly hole. I've toyed with the idea to add some fun but I worry some damn kids will use it as a bmx ramp and it's just not worth the risk.

KGroff25 06-30-2013 04:03 AM

They did that at an Ace Run tournament in Salem. I don't think anyone aced off it, but they still talk about how much fun it was to try.

tomte 06-30-2013 04:41 AM

After I saw Nikko try three rollers that all went ob and cost him the championship - I decided rollers are bad. Discs are supposed to fly, rollers are ridiculous.

Other than that - it would just increase prices for baskets even more.

RAWB 06-30-2013 05:42 AM

one time i got a roller ace with a beat up magnet. probably the coolest thing i've ever done

JTacoma03 06-30-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New013 (Post 2060977)
hole 18 at kentwood is a downhill shot but right before the basket is a little dry creek bed; but right before the creek bed is this natural little ramp thing. i've tried numerous times to roll one down and jump the creek and ace it. it almost happened once....

so yes i'm for this.

Mark this as the first time Kentwood has been brought up in a legit disc golf discussion. Ever.

<3 that ****ty chucker course. I played my first rounds there.

TalbotTrojan 06-30-2013 05:59 AM

Barsby got a roller ace at DeLa in the Master Cup a couple years ago. No ramp needed. If you throw the roller you just have to know that you will have to count on a good bounce to get an ace. The ramp is not necessary and should only be brought out for an Ace Race type of event. Otherwise, it just seems silly and insignificant.

thrembo 06-30-2013 08:26 AM

We need to make it harder for roller throwers, not easier, lol.

mashnut 06-30-2013 10:17 AM

The other option is the in ground basket, I've seen that on three different courses and it definitely makes a roller ace possible.

New013 06-30-2013 10:22 AM

in the ground baskets suck

discreid 06-30-2013 11:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niHO_qVF8fQ

Here's a video from a few years back when we had access to an empty warehouse to golf in all winter. One of the holes had a ramp in front of the basket, the first shot in the video shows a ramp ace. Good times.

Disc Fiend 06-30-2013 11:40 AM

Not necessarily a ramp, but smooth, natural (natural looking at least) mounds near the green could achieve this, and they could also change the putting dynamic if you are on them or around them.

Disc Fiend 06-30-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discreid (Post 2061107)

Here's a video from a few years back when we had access to an empty warehouse to golf in all winter. One of the holes had a ramp in front of the basket, the first shot in the video shows a ramp ace. Good times.

That was awesome.

anathematize 06-30-2013 11:52 AM

Did video of that Barsby roller ace ever turn up? I would imagine with all the people filming out at DeLa during events that somebody must have caught it.

demon102 06-30-2013 12:26 PM

Seems interesting for a trickshot type of deal but I'd be annoyed if I saw a bunch of ramps on my courses.

Sooner34 06-30-2013 12:38 PM

Hole 3 at Lions Park in Norman, OK has a roller ace on it. Hard to describe the hole, but pictures here basically show it, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=570&mode=hi

Tough hole to birdie if your roller isn't on point, or you're me... :P Disc ramped right up the steps before the basket and went right in. Granted the man that threw it in is locally considered the roller master and supposedly has the most wins of any Grandmaster in PDGA history. Unfair advantage maybe... :P

scarpfish 06-30-2013 01:01 PM

Taking advantage of the natural terrain that would make a roller ace possible....cool.

Actually making artificial ramps to accommodate this....lame.

ThrowinGhost 06-30-2013 01:07 PM

I've heard of a few roller aces at Delaveaga in Santa Cruz, but that's because there are tons of roots out there that work like ramps for the discs. Barsby aced one of the hardest holes out there at 2011 worlds I think. Just hit a root right before and jumped in.

ThrowinGhost 06-30-2013 01:14 PM

It was actually the 2012 Master's Cup that he aced ^^^^ it's all a blur lol

Emoney 06-30-2013 02:04 PM

If its a natural ramp, i like the idea. Build a little mound of dirt up one side of the bucket

bradharris 06-30-2013 02:05 PM

I think we should also begin to introduce the mando loopty-loop for rollers. And no course is complete without a spinning windmill that you must throw through.

wake_rider 06-30-2013 02:31 PM

Artificial rams are a definite and resounding NO. However, using the earth around to create angulations leading to the basket that could put the perfect roll into the chains is a cool idea. As stated before, hole 3 at N.E. Lions in Norman has a perfect slope up towards the basket that will shoot a perfectly thrown roller at the basket, and really this is the only way I can see an ace happening on this hole; there's just not another direct way to get chains height coming out of the valley. To get a throw to the basket you have to stay low and out of the trees and, unless you were to get some kind of unlikely skip, the only way to get back uphill and chains height is to ramp up off the hill that leads back up to the basket.

wake_rider 06-30-2013 02:37 PM

Having natural lumps and mounds just blends in with the landscape and doesn't seem cheesy. Having bmx ramps near the basket just seems kitschy and cheap looking. Plus, if you're not a disc golfer, those mounds and humps would be nothng more than just that: mounds and humps. To the discer, they'd present an entirely new set of challenges and opportunities.

Dthunderchicken 06-30-2013 02:56 PM

should we put ramps in front of baskets to allow for roller aces?

NO!

anathematize 06-30-2013 09:35 PM

Blue Ribbon Pines has a basket that is kind of dug into a hole so the chains are basically level with the ground around the green. There is a log worked into the landscaping that is a perfect natural ramp for a roller ace. I don't think something like this is too artificial or unnatural. Plus, it would be one hell of a shot to see!

Stoneberg 06-30-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anathematize (Post 2061595)
Blue Ribbon Pines has a basket that is kind of dug into a hole so the chains are basically level with the ground around the green. There is a log worked into the landscaping that is a perfect natural ramp for a roller ace. I don't think something like this is too artificial or unnatural. Plus, it would be one hell of a shot to see!

On the clash DVD Timmy Gill said that Barsby's roller ace is the reason this hole is constructed as such. That being said I still think it'd be dam near impossible seeing as the fairway is pretty littered with trees and isn't the most roller conducive to begin with.

HiFi 06-30-2013 10:23 PM

If we want to keep disc golf associated with things like mini golf or bean bags then by all means add ramps in front of baskets. Also the only players allowed on the course will be those wearing tye-dyes and white guys with dreadlocks.

S.Cann 06-30-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarpfish (Post 2061186)
Taking advantage of the natural terrain that would make a roller ace possible....cool.

Actually making artificial ramps to accommodate this....lame.

This!

Pete Kenny 06-30-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTacoma03 (Post 2061007)
Mark this as the first time Kentwood has been brought up in a legit disc golf discussion. Ever.

<3 that ****ty chucker course. I played my first rounds there.

Get ready for more. One of my first tourneys was in Raleigh 20-25 years ago and Kentwood was one of the courses used.

Hole 2 tee was in a longer than usual location and as I was putting out on hole 1 I watched a guy, I believe Johnny Sias, throw the first roller I had ever seen. It rolled true and hit the exposed roots and deflected up for the first ace I have ever seen.

Forget trying it on hole 18, go to number 2

BogeyNoMore 06-30-2013 11:54 PM

If you need a ramp to get an ace on a roller, it's not an ace. Let's say a hole has a straight approach that beaks off sharply to a well tucked basket , such that it's tough to throw a shot that straight and turn so hard at the end. How about if I needed to use the ramp horizontally to guide my straight shot towards the basket. Ace, right?

gimmick - fun for certain events, but not as a serious part of the game.

Or, bury the baskets flush with the ground ( la Flyboy #22) to give rollers a legit chance.

Streets 06-30-2013 11:57 PM

What's next, mini windmills and clown heads where you have to throw through the mouth?

ohtobediscing 07-01-2013 12:37 AM

:thmbdown: Against
#1. This isn't BMX/X-Games.
#2. This isn't goofy golf.
#3. Don't create threads when you're drunk. Not everyone, just you. So far.

zenbot 07-01-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streets (Post 2061750)
What's next, mini windmills and clown heads where you have to throw through the mouth?

I would prefer an animatronic Abe Lincoln that continuously places his stovepipe hat on his head and then off of it.

Needless to say the basket is right behind where his hat would be in the "on" position.

nolangherity 07-01-2013 12:41 AM

i wonder, why even throw round discs if i cant get a roller ace?

zenbot 07-01-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discreid (Post 2061107)

I think I was a little bit smarter before I watched that.

ohtobediscing 07-01-2013 01:14 AM

^^^Ooof. Thankfully I didn't---I've got no brain cells to spare. :\

chrishysell 07-01-2013 07:25 AM

just pick a root on a nearby tree and hit it properly and it will jump in. I've called it and done it. No luck involved if you know what you are doing.