Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Love for the Gazelle (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66332)

Jason B 10-08-2014 01:11 PM

The Gazelle is my favorite all around disc next to the Leopard. I can't take it out of the bag and haven't found a replacement yet. The closest new disc I could compare it to would be the Clash (stable like a Champion Gazelle) or Switch (DX stability). I'm waiting for the G-star Gazelle's to show up at GGGT for winter play. I haven't thrown my Buzz's for a long time. I can do the same shot with a DX Gazelle and more.

Kodachrome 10-08-2014 01:19 PM

Yeah, that's why I'm really wondering if I could kick two molds with one, while at the same time complementing my pd much better than a tb. Saw someone saying that these fly like leopards when they break in too. It really sounds like I could easily cover everything from fresh kc roc to shorter beat or fresh teebird with this disc, which is very appealing to me. The pd can pick up from where the gazelle leaves off.

Jason B 10-08-2014 01:34 PM

I can do 90% of all my midrange and fairway driver shots with this disc. The only thing it can't do is overstable headwind.

money 21 10-08-2014 04:45 PM

got to fondle a gstar yesterday. didn't have enough cash on me or it would have come home. very grippy and the dome wasn't bad.

metallicafreak121 10-08-2014 05:02 PM

How do the CFR Gazelles fly? I throw Gstar and I can achieve a lot of lines with it.

smarkquart 10-09-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2593408)
Yeah, that's why I'm really wondering if I could kick two molds with one, while at the same time complementing my pd much better than a tb. Saw someone saying that these fly like leopards when they break in too. It really sounds like I could easily cover everything from fresh kc roc to shorter beat or fresh teebird with this disc, which is very appealing to me. The pd can pick up from where the gazelle leaves off.

I tried the whole Trilogy thing and was able to convert completely over save one disc. I could not find a replacement for my Gazelles, specifically my Star Gazelles. Even moderately seasoned they are nothing short of irreplaceable. It lives up to Innova's hype of basically being a hybrid midrange.

It is definitely shorter my TeeBirds/ Stags and longer than my Rocs/Truths/ Verdicts. For me it is the perfect disc for line drives with no turn or fade from 280 to 370. What makes it so great is that it can handle a little extra torque/ muscle/ OAT without doing anything crazy stupid. Stars in particular are hard to flip, but they also have so little fade so you can back off at the same time.

I have been souring on my GStar Gazelles. The grip is second-to-none and come to winter I will put them back in in place of my regular Stars. However, the GStar does have a slight turn and or flip and does not seem to glide as well. My GStar really seems that it needs more finesse while the regular Star can be muscled.

Go quick, Stars are currently only available through the Factory store and I have been snatching up the heavy oranges and whites.

Hyzer Ale 10-09-2014 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 2593430)
I can do 90% of all my midrange and fairway driver shots with this disc. The only thing it can't do is overstable headwind.

I feel that my factory store dx stamped JL Gazelle is stable enough. Thing has no turn. I haven't thrown it too much so I don't know if it will season quickly, but doubt it.

Kodachrome 10-09-2014 12:43 PM

Sweet. Thanks for all the input, gents. Sounds like it's what I need!

mattw 10-09-2014 04:16 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the newer runs of champ glo gazelles and how they fly as well as what the dome is like on them? Always had a soft spot for the gazelle but not enough to where I want to pay the prices that the old champ stuff is going for. DX Gazelle was one of the first discs I owned. They made the perfect disc to carry multiples in different stages from fresh to beat.

CANNON666 10-09-2014 04:52 PM

I have a full color Ching Gazelle for sale or trade

Brodysseus 10-10-2014 03:31 PM

^pay the $5 for the crown and start a thread in the marketplace.

Now back to Gazelle... How big of a headwind do you think one of the Star Gazelles could handle for someone throwing them with ~275' of power?

AndyJB 10-10-2014 03:35 PM

What elevation are you at? Here in Colorado a fresh Gazelle is actually decently overstable. My wife has a Star Gazelle and it will hyzer out for her into a pretty decent headwind, though it will have some turn. She throws between 225-250, for reference.

Brodysseus 10-10-2014 03:43 PM

Not sure on elevation exactly but I'm in the plains of central IL so discs certainly won't act as OS as where you are.

Curtis_Valk 10-13-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodysseus (Post 2595950)
^pay the $5 for the crown and start a thread in the marketplace.

Now back to Gazelle... How big of a headwind do you think one of the Star Gazelles could handle for someone throwing them with ~275' of power?

I'm comfortable throwing a Pro Gazelle into about a 10 mph headwind at that power or a little more. I would think a Star would handle 15 or so, but have no personal experience with it.

Kodachrome 10-13-2014 09:29 PM

Can anybody compare glo champ vs star vs pro? 430'-450' max d. What can I expect when I really crank on these?

smatthew854 10-13-2014 09:42 PM

I just got a gstar gazelle from the pro shop. Absolutely love it. Especially the gstar material. I accidentally hit a pump building my first round with the disc, it's a stone coated building. Not a scratch, and when I hit the same building with a star, my star disc was all chewed up.

clock115 10-13-2014 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What do you think this guy is worth
11x Kcpro pearly yellow gazelle Rainbow stamp no ink 8.5/10 175g very small red faded stain in the upper left

Kodachrome 10-14-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2598187)
Can anybody compare glo champ vs star vs pro? 430'-450' max d. What can I expect when I really crank on these?

it's okay, i'm open to doing some research. :P

metallicafreak121 10-14-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2598458)
it's okay, i'm open to doing some research. :P

You let me know when you find out lol

Kodachrome 10-14-2014 05:56 PM

Well I snagged a dx and really like it! Very neutral, awesome. Tough to tell how it will act right now since it's so windy.

KRATC 10-14-2014 07:19 PM

I bought an 11x kc pro Gazelle and I am just waiting for it to come in the mail. I was hoping it would compliment my Star Leopard. I am excited.

Kodachrome 10-15-2014 01:01 PM

well, went out to kaposia and i have to say this is a perfect workhorse for technical woods-golf. i don't really like throwing mids in the woods for some reason; i like to fight farther down the fairway. i don't mind playing placement golf, i just like my placement to be farther than everybody else. ;) this definitely helps that mindset, gets the extra feet and doesn't have a lot of lateral movement. hole 4, 5, 6, all gazelle holes for sure. same with hole 9/10/whatever that downhill tunnel shot is. nice to have something i feel is a *true* workhorse out of the box.

mine is just a DX; i compared it to some pro shop stars and the PLH was the same so dunno if i'm going to bother with stars. we'll see.

anyway, it just has the tiniest bit of flip out of the box and an okay fade. definitely going to stick around for a while. there may be times where i vacillate over whether to throw a roc or a gazelle but i would rather have THAT issue than a teebird vs. pd, where the margin of error is much less due to the nature of the discs.

smarkquart 10-15-2014 02:49 PM

I throw almost nothing but the Gazelle at Kaposia. It is the perfect course for it, especially Holes 5-7, 10, and 13-16. Recently, because of where I teach, I play a lot of Sportsman's Hill (Clearwater), and my Star Gazelle gets a workout there as well.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2599896)
well, went out to kaposia and i have to say this is a perfect workhorse for technical woods-golf. i don't really like throwing mids in the woods for some reason; i like to fight farther down the fairway. i don't mind playing placement golf, i just like my placement to be farther than everybody else. ;) this definitely helps that mindset, gets the extra feet and doesn't have a lot of lateral movement. hole 4, 5, 6, all gazelle holes for sure. same with hole 9/10/whatever that downhill tunnel shot is. nice to have something i feel is a *true* workhorse out of the box.

mine is just a DX; i compared it to some pro shop stars and the PLH was the same so dunno if i'm going to bother with stars. we'll see.

anyway, it just has the tiniest bit of flip out of the box and an okay fade. definitely going to stick around for a while. there may be times where i vacillate over whether to throw a roc or a gazelle but i would rather have THAT issue than a teebird vs. pd, where the margin of error is much less due to the nature of the discs.


Kodachrome 10-15-2014 10:35 PM

yeah, i can already tell that this is pretty much going to make my roc obsolete except on shorter holes where i use my flippy roc or on downhill shots/big turnover or anny lines where i think a nice wide diameter midrange fits the bill for that slow line. also i'm going to start a gazelle revolution, similar to the "pa-money" photo trend on FB, where you share when you have a good shot with a disc.

HOLE 6 AT KP

#GA MONEY

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4e9i4cy7.jpg

smarkquart 10-15-2014 10:43 PM

So, in essence, you are forcing me to snatch up all the heavy white and orange Star Gazelles still left at the Innova Pro Shop? I have been blessed that of all the discs I have lost and have walked away from this year, the Gazelle has not been one of them.

But now that I have said that. There have been three instances this year where I have almost walked away; Mont du Lac, Elm Creek, and Bryant. I have 7 Stars, 2 Champ Glows, 3 GStars, and a beat-to-hell KC Pro on the wall. Is that enough to last me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2600285)
yeah, i can already tell that this is pretty much going to make my roc obsolete except on shorter holes where i use my flippy roc or on downhill shots/big turnover or anny lines where i think a nice wide diameter midrange fits the bill for that slow line. also i'm going to start a gazelle revolution, similar to the "pa-money" photo trend on FB, where you share when you have a good shot with a disc.

HOLE 6 AT KP

#GA MONEY

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4e9i4cy7.jpg


Kodachrome 10-15-2014 10:46 PM

aaaah, i dunno. i'm too broke to steal all your gazelles. :) i know tom marcus at everyday disc golf has two proshop star gaz, red and blue. i want white though so i can dye one. i am also interested in the CFR glows, should be close enough to white for government work for a dye job and also hopefully a tick more HSS/LSS?

Monkeypaws 10-15-2014 11:02 PM

So how readily available are Gazelles in plastic other than DX - do you have to go through the Innova store?

Kodachrome 10-15-2014 11:11 PM

pretty much. they have pro and star; the JL circlestamps are gone.

you can find CFR glo at online retailers, not at the innova pro shop. all this is why i was hoping to get some feedback regarding dx vs pro vs star vs jl circle stamp vs cfr glow champ.

that's a big list i know, haha. but i hate buying online. i'm such a disc nerd and always gun for the specific traits i want in the disc that i buy.

smarkquart 10-15-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2600323)
pretty much. they have pro and star; the JL circlestamps are gone.

you can find CFR glo at online retailers, not at the innova pro shop. all this is why i was hoping to get some feedback regarding dx vs pro vs star vs jl circle stamp vs cfr glow champ.

that's a big list i know, haha. but i hate buying online. i'm such a disc nerd and always gun for the specific traits i want in the disc that i buy.

I have not thrown the Pros, and frankly I am sure I do not want to. The best Gazelles are the ones that seemingly never season. If you want something that flips, turns, etc, get a Leopard or something. Gazelles are meant to be gunned down a fairway for distances that are just a bit longer than your mid can reach. They have so little turn, if any at all, and so little fade.

My experience is that DX and Star are almost identical fresh. GStar has a touch of turn and flip. Nothing is quite 0 turn, but if saying that, GStar is -0.25. Champ Glow has close to the same stabilities as Star and fresh DX but it seems a tad shorter. More than the other two, Champ Glow comes across as a glorified mid. JL just felt too beefy, slow, and cumbersome. I threw mine one round, sold it, and put the other on the wall.

I have several DXs for winter because of the better grip, but my preference by far is Star. It hangs onto to that magical stability because of the extra durability, but it also has a touch more glide than the other plastics, making it more a fairway driver than a glorified mid.

Kodachrome 10-16-2014 12:09 AM

Oh, as far as turn goes, the beat dx will take care of that. I was sort of hoping the champ gazelles or cfr glo would start off dumpy and season in similar to the plan I had for my teebirds and abandoned. The plh on the star gaz were identical to my dx so what you are saying rings accurate for sure. The extra dome will add the glide too.

All in all, despite the limited options I am sure it is tough to go wrong. I am pretty committed at this point, not even the teebird made this impression at first.

Questatement 10-16-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2600323)
pretty much. they have pro and star; the JL circlestamps are gone.

The rim doesn't feel the same but the circlestamp JL Cheetahs which are still in the store fly almost exactly the same as the circlestamp JL Gazelles for me plus the current run of Cheetahs are flatter and mega pearly.

metallicafreak121 11-07-2014 08:20 PM

Just ordered a couple champion Gazelle misprints. Anone with experience with champ Gazelles know if these are overstable enough to be my go to headwind fairway driver?

TheBMeistor 11-08-2014 02:34 AM

I only threw one and it was a lot beefier than same weight dx or pro.

Pro shop has misprint star and champ now, they are tempting now.

metallicafreak121 11-08-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBMeistor (Post 2618719)
I only threw one and it was a lot beefier than same weight dx or pro.

Pro shop has misprint star and champ now, they are tempting now.

That's where I got them from. 11 dollars to ship though. Ridiculous.

Monkeypaws 01-28-2015 04:59 PM

I would really like to try one of those GStar Gazelles. Love the DX Gaz but it beats in so quickly.

$25 shipped is a lot for a disc tho....hmmmm.

jsc430 01-28-2015 05:09 PM

Mannnnnnn....I remember when i had to buy an 11x to get a gazelle in premium plastic. Now its to hard to narrow it down to only one that i like.

threevok 01-28-2015 05:14 PM

I went in on an order with a friend to get free shipping and forgot to add the GStar Gazelle. I ordered it when they had 2.27 shipping and used the points I got from the previous order, so the price was tolerable. I have no regrets getting one. I mostly use it on holes where I would normally use a mid-range but there's enough headwind to keep me from getting there.

Disc Golf Center has some Champion Glo Gazelles. Anyone tried one?

ryanwilli7 01-28-2015 09:27 PM

I know a Champ Gazelle is going to be more beefy than the DXs I have been throwing, but would a Champ Leopard be similar to an out of the box DX Gazelle? I am looking for that something that holds the new Gazelle flight longer, but don't really want to drop big money on old pros or new innova store stuff. Thoughts?

AlexJensen86 01-28-2015 09:37 PM

Totally different imho, the gazelle is slower in the air I think and is more like a fresh roc for me, just longer and lower height requirements, where as a leopard is hyzer flip or turnover disc for me, more like a pretty beat in roc. The champ glo gazelles that a few places have are good, but a bit domey. the dome doesn't bother me, and if anything just makes them seem to fade more. I got two and flattened one a bit and it doesn't fade as much as the domier one.

captain jack 01-28-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicafreak121 (Post 2618527)
Just ordered a couple champion Gazelle misprints. Anone with experience with champ Gazelles know if these are overstable enough to be my go to headwind fairway driver?

If its heavy, and flat, like the 11X, its meaty, and headwind worthy.
If its domey and gummy, like the CE/Candy Pro's, it turns more, which means its much harder to control upwind.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.