Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Forehand Flex Shots (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117578)

King K 08-24-2015 10:15 PM

Forehand Flex Shots

I am primarily a forehand player and one shot that I have been struggling with is a forehand flex shot. I throw either a overstable disc (such as the FD3) or a semi-overstable disc (such as a Volt). Typically I throw them on a slight anhyzer and that works ok, but sometimes if there isn't a bunch of air under them they just start going left and don't come back.

Are there certain discs that are better for forehand flex shots? Are there certain characteristics to look for? And, are there any things to watch out for when trying this shot?

grotto 08-24-2015 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King K (Post 2839924)
Typically I throw them on a slight anhyzer and that works ok, but sometimes if there isn't a bunch of air under them they just start going left and don't come back.

Are there certain discs that are better for forehand flex shots? Are there certain characteristics to look for? And, are there any things to watch out for when trying this shot?

This is a shot I have spent a lot of time this year ironing out. Have to watch when you're throwing on the annie line that you don't roll your wrist even a little or you can even drive a Firebird into the ground.

Also depends on the distance you're trying to throw them and how wide a flex you want. My two go to discs are a Star Banshee and a FLX Predator. A lot of folks like the Firebird, but it didn't work for me. I also like the Hellfire. It was pretty beefy to start, but after beating it a bit, it has some amazing flexibility and glide.

ViolaBouquet 08-24-2015 11:39 PM

I find I get the best results with a standstill shot and a quite overstable disc. If I do a run-up I can't seem to get that perfect angle/power combo on it.

slowplastic 08-24-2015 11:52 PM

Obviously you need a pretty overstable disc...best to use a disc that won't really turn much when you throw it flat. Firebird, XCal, Giant, etc.

Aim at and through the apex of the shot with the angle that you have set and let it go from there. The more overstable the disc the lower throw/steeper angle you can use obviously. Sounds like nose angle isn't an issue since you're finding the disc is holding the line rather than coming out early.

If a disc isn't working for that shot for you, it's just not the disc for it...flex shots are very disc and power level dependent.

Also, if you have any OAT/wobble on the throw that can make this shot very unpredictable...best to iron that out before going on a disc-buying binge.

SD86 08-25-2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King K (Post 2839924)
I am primarily a forehand player and one shot that I have been struggling with is a forehand flex shot. I throw either a overstable disc (such as the FD3) or a semi-overstable disc (such as a Volt). Typically I throw them on a slight anhyzer and that works ok, but sometimes if there isn't a bunch of air under them they just start going left and don't come back.

I'm RHBH working on my flex shot. I find that I need to put a little height on the shot or else it goes right (and to the ground) without coming back. But TOO much height and it doesn't really move right before turning back left.

I'm also working on my forehand shot, with mixed results. I'm finding a Teebird works well for me. The TL does okay, also. If I can get the forehand down, I'll probably work with the Firebird and bag that disc, but it's taking time to learn...

gerth_vader 08-25-2015 03:22 AM

I don't like to apply a lot of anny for a shot like this. The enforcer(bio), starfire(really old champ), fd3(flatened first run ;) ), resistor(8/10)....those are some of the best discs for forhand flexs with my style. I go touch of anny, full power, 20ft in the air, aim a lil right...or directly at a tree you want to cut in front of. This produces a smooth elongated S that doesnt fade extra aggressive, penetrating finish for extra D. Another way I throw the anny S is with a ton of angle, almost like a FH roller, with just the slightest nose up (which is actually pointing left for a righty) and a very OS disc *justice*. I control distance and shape with the hight and power variable. Thats more of an approach or utility style though

wims 08-25-2015 08:18 AM

Are we talking about a utility flex shot or are we talking about a full power flex drive?

King K 08-25-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wims (Post 2840179)
Are we talking about a utility flex shot or are we talking about a full power flex drive?

Both really, I would love to flex a mid to get around trees, but mainly the drives are more important.

sddabrow 08-25-2015 11:10 AM

I have a couple holes that I use a RHFH shot for that I need to flex out. I typically use something stable but higher speed than my arm can handle and it does what I want it to, probably because it is hiding my bad form Lol.

The hole is about 280' and I throw a flex shot with my Westside Sword. Just a touch of anny and about 20ft above the ground will have a nice S curve.

It is just playing with release angles though. Try using a stable to overstable driver and work on the release angle.

OB Four 08-25-2015 11:10 AM

From someone who has to throw flexes for all their FH shots over 200 ft bc my form sucks. I would recommend an Xcal, PD2, X1, something in that vein.