Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beating the Summer Heat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131550)

BogeyNoMore 07-01-2018 01:09 AM

Beating the Summer Heat

One of the guys that stayed at my place for the USADGC this year gave me a cooling towel that was part of a players pack for an event he TD'd at The Canyons...

OMG, I LOVE THIS THING! <3

Kept it draped around my neck, and kept wipling my face and head with it. Makes playing in sweltering heat/humidity a lot more tolerable. One of those things I don't know how I managed without for all these years. :thmbup: :clap: :)

By the way, he finished tied for 10th in the tourney - pretty damned good for a field of that size and caliber. Must have been good kharma for hooking me up with what I now consider essential hot weather DG equipment. :thmbup:

hiflyer 07-01-2018 02:02 AM

Yes!! I whole heartedly agree with he awesome which is a "cooling towel." I've a few of my own, in a couple sizes for the course, at home, at work, or at home at work.
When it's really hot and dry, one does need to find a source of water for the towel because once it's dry, it no worky no more. I'll bring along my personal mister sometimes as well. They aren't as effective in high humidity (it works via evaporation of the water) but is still one of the best choices for cooling off. Plus it helps protect yo' neck from the evil bulb in the sky.

Streets 07-01-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3325269)
One of the guys that stayed at my place for the USADGC this year gave me a cooling towel that was part of a players pack for an event he TD'd at The Canyons...

OMG, I LOVE THIS THING! <3

Kept it draped around my neck, and kept wipling my face and head with it. Makes playing in sweltering heat/humidity a lot more tolerable. One of those things I don't know how I managed without for all these years. :thmbup: :clap: :)

By the way, he finished tied for 10th in the tourney - pretty damned good for a field of that size and caliber. Must have been good kharma for hooking me up with what I now consider essential hot weather DG equipment. :thmbup:

Wife got me one last year and is indispensable on rounds in 85+ temps.

Another benefit: keeping it draped around your neck in direct sunlight kind helps shield it from the sun.

jeffmonty 07-01-2018 01:23 PM

It's been hovering in the upper 60's/low 70's here for the last week or so. We have natural air-conditioning here much of the time!

dysmike 07-01-2018 02:01 PM

Cooling towel and an umbrella for the sun.

air show 07-01-2018 02:28 PM

I semi-freeze all my beverages and for those extremely humid days I carry 4 tee shirts for towels and spare shirts. Though the heat can really suck I don't mind getting out and sweating and cleaning out some toxins. Just another reason to play disc golf.

RFrance 07-01-2018 03:40 PM

The cooling towel was looking promising until I saw that it worked by evaporation. With the heat and humidity here the past month my shirt is soaked by hole #4 and that's playing in the morning. Not much chance for evaporation there. And we are just entering the steamy part of the Florida summer. For now my dri fits have been replaced with tank tops until probably October.

Orioles_Lefty 07-01-2018 04:06 PM

I wear a (3-day disposable) insulin pod and am pretty sure I "baked" the insulin in it playing in 95 degree heat yesterday with 100+ heat indexes. I don't know of a strategy for preventing that in hot weather. Glow golf?

Those cooling towels are nice. As someone else said, having ample source of cold water is key for it to work for any long period of time.

When the course is not busy, I find myself taking a break on shady tees or putting for awhile on shaded greens. Sometimes slowing down helps the body out.

sisyphus 07-01-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3325269)

Congrats to your buddy!

...as far as cooling off goes, I've not found anything that works for me yet (including cooling towels). I generate enough heat to bring them to body temp inside of five minutes. You played with me at zero degrees on January 1st. I was comfortable then. But then, I could always consider just reducing my self-impose blanket of thermal insulation... :\ :o

BrotherDave 07-02-2018 02:21 AM

I just finished playing 117 holes this weekend in NC and VA. I didn't mind the heat or humidity much. It's the one thing Nature and I agree on. There are some must-dos though:

1. Hydrate (duh). You gotta do this habitually, not just "pre-game"
2. Get in it early. The less of a shock to your system if you get outdoors early and let the heat gradually build up.
3. Don't get acclimated to A/C. Feeling comfortable indoors makes you soft. It just does.
4. Seek shade. If there isn't any, bring your own in the form of a wide brimmed hat or umbrella.
5. Wear cotton. This might be a personal one but dri-fits feel like I'm wearing burlap when it's humid. Old-fashioned, light colored cotton just works so much better.
6. Lose weight. Easier said than done, though, right?
7. Hydrate some more (cooler full of beverages is easy prep-work plus in addition to cold beverages supplies a source of cold water you can dip hats/towels into apply to your head/neck).