Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Love for the Gazelle (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66332)

Kodachrome 06-07-2017 04:00 PM

Motha****in' dx gazelle.

I might disc down for a while. Hole 14 at cp adams is a long, downhill hole, but this was a pretty nice blast.

Still love my gazelles. Glad i grabbed some dx again. It's the best gazelle.


http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8q6gtkyl.jpg



Also we found a dx gazelle with a split in the middle with the rim still intact. We were playing dubs at acorn park which is hella flooded and my partner forgot his discs at home. I was worried he would lose one of my discs on hole 2 (i was sharing) so I said it was fortuitous to find a gazelle on the first hole and my buddies laughed because it was so broken. I picked it up and proceeded to hole 2. Hole 2 is a flooded disc eating nightmare. I handed my partner the broken gazelle and he piped the shot. We left it there for some other fortunate soul to use. May the gazelle bring luck to your rounds.

slowplastic 06-07-2017 04:15 PM

I swear DX fairways go as far as premium plastic drivers half the time.

BB53641 06-08-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 3158181)
you know, i'm pretty ****ing pissed about losing my asia open gazelle with the snake stamp last year . . . or whenever i lost it. i don't even remember exactly when/where it happened, it just sort of . . . was gone. it was a cfr glo, much flatter than the current runs and the plastic was nice and gummy too. anybody happen to know where to get one?

I believe these were from the first run of glow gazelles around the end of 2010 to 2011. I had two with the dragon chain stamp which were released just before the stamp you are talking about. Any that have stamps dated from 2010 to 2011 should be from this run. They show up from time to time on eBay. They also have patent numbers which the later runs do not.

BB53641 06-08-2017 11:15 AM

There is one on eBay right now from the same run stamped for the 2011 European Open. They are asking 29.99 buy it now plus 3.99 shipping though.

Kodachrome 06-08-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB53641 (Post 3188184)
There is one on eBay right now from the same run stamped for the 2011 European Open. They are asking 29.99 buy it now plus 3.99 shipping though.

That's also a beautiful stamp...but i really liked the one i had more. Those older glo gazelles are nice because they are flatter and fly a little faster, but i really just want the stamp back. :\

discflinger 06-08-2017 08:20 PM

the old glows are flat and just fly. i have a stack of new glows with dome and they are definitely my favorite flex shot.

ranger 06-08-2017 09:32 PM

Champ gazelle vs eagle L???

t i m 06-09-2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsc430 (Post 3179347)
Nope. thats it. There's a few champ gazelles from the 2002-2003 era. Almost all are cfr except for a small run of mini proto stars. Shortly after came the 11x.

Are the old CFR Gazelles worth anything? I think I've got one basically mint from that era, one of the first CFR batches. Might be 2001--I'll have to check later. IIRC, those were pretty overstable for Gazelles.

mostlynorwegian 06-30-2017 01:18 PM

I got a gstar Gazelle earlier this year, and it seems to have finally gotten broken in. OR, I finally figured out the best way to throw it to do that flip into the right place thing that the dx plastic editions of it I have do so well.
Stoked

b-mart 07-16-2017 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t i m (Post 3188590)
Are the old CFR Gazelles worth anything? I think I've got one basically mint from that era, one of the first CFR batches. Might be 2001--I'll have to check later. IIRC, those were pretty overstable for Gazelles.

It depends on what it is. The Gazelle market has been dead for several years now. There's been a CE one on Ebay for $50 BIN for quite a while. Used to be that it would be bid up past that. Now nobody wants one for more than $30. Pretty awesome for those of us who have bins of the darn things that we've spent hundreds or even thousands on. At least I learned my lesson. Now I have thousands in savings and retirement funds instead :D.

walde 12-05-2018 07:40 AM

What's going on here? Any love for the Gazelle? Latest post in July 2017!!

I'm wondering about Star and Pro Gazelles in the pro shop. I've felt one Star Gazelle (yellow) and it was pretty domey. Are they all like this? How do they fly? I have no idea about the Pros, would be nice to hear about those as well.

Monkeypaws 12-05-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walde (Post 3386509)
What's going on here? Any love for the Gazelle? Latest post in July 2017!!

I'm wondering about Star and Pro Gazelles in the pro shop. I've felt one Star Gazelle (yellow) and it was pretty domey. Are they all like this? How do they fly? I have no idea about the Pros, would be nice to hear about those as well.

I've been curious about those as well - my old DX Gaz has gotten flippy on me.

mostlynorwegian 12-05-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walde (Post 3386509)
What's going on here? Any love for the Gazelle? Latest post in July 2017!!

I'm wondering about Star and Pro Gazelles in the pro shop. I've felt one Star Gazelle (yellow) and it was pretty domey. Are they all like this? How do they fly? I have no idea about the Pros, would be nice to hear about those as well.

I'm a huge fan of the Gazelle, and have it in pro, gstar and star plastics. I bag g-stars in 168 and 173 and a max weight star.
The Star is slightly more understable than either pro, or g-star, and behaves more like my beat in DX. The pro behaves like my sweet spot DX.
The G-stars I have are both fairly domey, and the star is kind of in between, and not nearly as firm as other star plastics.
I also have the pro plastic, and it is kind of in between the g star and star for stability and is the flattest of all of them.
The star and gstars are a lot more forgiving in ground play and will either skip or slide to a finish, and the pro plastic, which is really gummy, has a tendency to want to catch the ground and roll out to a finish.
If I need the turn away and not look where it lands because I know where it will predictability. My main choice is the g-star plastic.

smarkquart 12-05-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walde (Post 3386509)
What's going on here? Any love for the Gazelle? Latest post in July 2017!!

I'm wondering about Star and Pro Gazelles in the pro shop. I've felt one Star Gazelle (yellow) and it was pretty domey. Are they all like this? How do they fly? I have no idea about the Pros, would be nice to hear about those as well.


I cannot keep them in the bag, but I think that is mainly because I throw a mixed bag. My Truths and Verdicts are such long discs that they operate almost like shorter fairway drivers. That is exactly what a Gazelle is, a short but deadly accurate fairway driver. If anything, the Gazelle is almost a longer stable midrange. So, I have a ton of overlap. Still, I will not trade away my Star Gazelles.

As you noted, Stars have a more pronounced dome than DX or GStar, but of the three, I prefer the Star because of their truer stability compared to the other plastics. I never gelled with the GStar. I know the Gazelle is not known for its glide, but the GStar had even less glide than the DX or Star. The Champion Gazelle looks pretty, but was even more of a glideless hog.

If I would go with a more traditional midrange lineup, I would see a huge need for my style of throwing to have the Gazelle back in the bag. If anything, it pairs really well with the FD and TeeBird.

Then again, this is all predicated on my style of throwing, and I know several Gazelle throwers who abhor the Stars for their dome. Give it a try and then make a decision.

walde 12-05-2018 12:14 PM

Thanks for sharing! The Star Gazelle I felt was indeed pretty soft for Star plastic. I wish there were some firm ones that wouldn't be so domey but I guess it's a bit too much to ask for unless a top pro starts throwing them and they would make a new run. For that matter, are there any pros that bag the Gazelle? I can't recall anyone and I've watched quite a bit of tournament coverage over the years.
Same goes for G-star, they're usually a bit too soft for my liking but it would be nice to give one a try.

DX Gazelle was one of my first discs and I loved how straight it was for me for a while. Now I only throw DX in the winter when I don't want to lose my favourites in the snow. The Champ and Champ glow I have go in and out of the bag, swapping them between Teebirds and FDs. All three are great molds but Gazelles have more sentimental value for me.

walde 12-05-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarkquart (Post 3386607)
I cannot keep them in the bag, but I think that is mainly because I throw a mixed bag. My Truths and Verdicts are such long discs that they operate almost like shorter fairway drivers. That is exactly what a Gazelle is, a short but deadly accurate fairway driver. If anything, the Gazelle is almost a longer stable midrange. So, I have a ton of overlap. Still, I will not trade away my Star Gazelles.

As you noted, Stars have a more pronounced dome than DX or GStar, but of the three, I prefer the Star because of their truer stability compared to the other plastics. I never gelled with the GStar. I know the Gazelle is not known for its glide, but the GStar had even less glide than the DX or Star. The Champion Gazelle looks pretty, but was even more of a glideless hog.

If I would go with a more traditional midrange lineup, I would see a huge need for my style of throwing to have the Gazelle back in the bag. If anything, it pairs really well with the FD and TeeBird.

Then again, this is all predicated on my style of throwing, and I know several Gazelle throwers who abhor the Stars for their dome. Give it a try and then make a decision.

Yap, Champs don't have much glide and are pretty stable, but they're very controllable and can handle some wind. I feel like it will take a lot of beating in before they get straight. The Champ glow I have is very straight though, with a tiny bit of drift. I really like it and it would be nice to find a replacement for that in case I lose it. Champ Leopards are pretty close in flight so that's one option. But it's not a Gazelle :p

smarkquart 12-05-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walde (Post 3386609)
Thanks for sharing! The Star Gazelle I felt was indeed pretty soft for Star plastic. I wish there were some firm ones that wouldn't be so domey but I guess it's a bit too much to ask for unless a top pro starts throwing them and they would make a new run. For that matter, are there any pros that bag the Gazelle? I can't recall anyone and I've watched quite a bit of tournament coverage over the years.
Same goes for G-star, they're usually a bit too soft for my liking but it would be nice to give one a try.

DX Gazelle was one of my first discs and I loved how straight it was for me for a while. Now I only throw DX in the winter when I don't want to lose my favourites in the snow. The Champ and Champ glow I have go in and out of the bag, swapping them between Teebirds and FDs. All three are great molds but Gazelles have more sentimental value for me.

The two reasons I think that most pros do not throw Gazelles are:

1) It is an older disc with not much love. Therefore, most top players who are new likely never experimented with one because it was not a top seller or produced in large enough quantities in premium plastic to be noticed. Look at older players, you may see a few here and there.

2) The Gazelle is a stable disc, but it is a one-line wonder, meaning that it will lock onto that line and hold it. It will hold an anhyzer almost all the way to the ground; same for hyzers or flat throws. It looks onto the line and holds it. However, because of its shortness, you often do not see those strict lines in open and long courses. The Gazelle is better suited for courses with more obstacles. However, since it only holds one line, heavily wooded courses with doglegs or multiple turns do not play well with Gazelles. The Eagle, near the same speed and distance, has more turn and more fade, making it better suited at flexing lines or getting around or through multiple obstacles. Likely the reason more top players picked the Eagle over the Gazelle.

ODRB 12-05-2018 12:50 PM

I'm going to have to slightly disagree about one-line wonders for two reasons:

1. Teebirds. Super popular. One angle one line. That is what they are for. And lots of Gazelles fly like slightly shorter Teebirds.
2. Then there are Gazelles that fly like mini-eagles. Flat 11x, for example. Some flip, some fade. Heck, there are opaque 10x with flatter tops and high PLH that fly these Eagle-esque lines too.

But yeah DX Gazelles and more recent glow champ Gazelles do indeed pop up and lock onto lines.

nrihan 12-05-2018 01:11 PM

My first 11x disc was a forest green KC Gazelle. Loved that thing.

Alexplz 12-05-2018 01:25 PM

ODRB sent me a couple of champ glow gazelles. Pretty domey, very stable. Make a decent OS bookend to a spectrum of leopards, or a stand in for a S/OS mid. I was hoping for a slower teebird, got a faster roc. Nothing wrong with that, but I will say there is a vast difference between a gazelle and a teebird, more so than just one unit of speed on the flight numbers might suggest - when they gave the gazelle a glide rating of 4, they really meant it.

I wonder what it would have been like to be playing when the teebird was released - I know the Cyclone sort of blazed that trail but I've never thrown or held one.

Alexplz 12-05-2018 01:33 PM

edit window has passed, also worth mentioning that the gazelles I've tried have been terrible for forehand - perfectly appropriate flight characteristics but the combination of the wide notch on the outer edge of the lower wing and the dome made it impossible for me to get a clean rip. I would seriously consider bagging these in the roles I described above but the inability to FH kind of sinks that boat.

SD86 12-05-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walde (Post 3386614)
Champ Leopards are pretty close in flight so that's one option. But it's not a Gazelle :p

How would you compare Leopard3s to Gazelles? TIA. (And anyone else with knowledge, please do answer.)

The Albatross 12-05-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD86 (Post 3386672)
How would you compare Leopard3s to Gazelles? TIA. (And anyone else with knowledge, please do answer.)

Gazelles have a lot more high speed stability. Iíve only used the DX ones, but they seemed to have more glide and less low speed fade than premium plastic Leo3s. I actually really liked the Gazelle, just could never fit it in the bag.

ODRB 12-05-2018 05:38 PM

Again, gotta disagree with some of the above.

I think Gazelles can go FAR. They play like faster Rocs in many way, but (especially flatter ones) can really leg it out to driver distances.

And I love the Gazelle for FHs. That notch on the nose (much like a Firebird) helps it sit tight to my palm and I get great releases with them.

Comparing a DX Gazelle (lots of glide, not really OS at all) to a champ L3 isn't a fair comparison.

Problem with all this talk is this: there are lots of great molds out that do Gazelle stuff and, if you arent already sitting on a stack of Gazelles or tuned in to the mold, why bother?

walde 12-05-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD86 (Post 3386672)
How would you compare Leopard3s to Gazelles? TIA. (And anyone else with knowledge, please do answer.)

I was referring to my less stable and more used Champ Glow when I compared to flight to a Champ Leopard, which in my limited experience are pretty straight flyers and not all that understable. I haven't thrown a Leopard3 but from what I've seen them thrown they seem to have more turn.
I was just wondering how to replace a seasoned/straight premium Gazelle if I were to lose mine. I have a couple of Circle Stamp Champs but they are fairly stable and I feel like it will take a good while until I can get one to have a straight flight.

But yes, Gazelles in general are more stable than Leopards and Leopard3s in both HSS and LSS departments, but my experience with premium Gazelles is limited to only one Champ Glow and Circle Stamp Champs.

jdw80550 12-05-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walde (Post 3386729)
I was referring to my less stable and more used Champ Glow when I compared to flight to a Champ Leopard, which in my limited experience are pretty straight flyers and not all that understable. I haven't thrown a Leopard3 but from what I've seen them thrown they seem to have more turn.
I was just wondering how to replace a seasoned/straight premium Gazelle if I were to lose mine. I have a couple of Circle Stamp Champs but they are fairly stable and I feel like it will take a good while until I can get one to have a straight flight.

But yes, Gazelles in general are more stable than Leopards and Leopard3s in both HSS and LSS departments, but my experience with premium Gazelles is limited to only one Champ Glow and Circle Stamp Champs.

Try a G* as a replacement. It's that blend of straight, but can work lines if need be. When I was throwing gazelles it was: circle stamp champ, champ glow, g*. In order of stability. Never really dug the dx.

Monkeypaws 12-05-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODRB (Post 3386725)

I think Gazelles can go FAR.

I remember an old video of McBeth and another guy playing Climo's course with fresh DX the purchased I believe from the Clearwater FLA disc golf shop??

As I recall, PM had a Gazelle he just crushed 400+ feet.

Or maybe I was drunk - anybody remember that?

tbird888 12-05-2018 07:16 PM

That absolutely happened. I think it was him and Kyle Sawtell? throwing that round.

ILUVSMGS18 12-06-2018 12:20 AM

I tried to embed the vids, but life hates me today.
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLiOsUkU-Vs
Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi82PJD9fzc&t=4s

I like the concept of a faster Roc. I might drop my TB since I throw ThBs already. How does a fresh DX compare to a Champ or Star Leo? I might grab one as a winter disc and see how it feels in the hand. Worst case scenario, I have a perfect water disc.

tbird888 12-06-2018 11:19 AM

Here's an assist (you can quote my post to see how I embedded if you'd like)



Monkeypaws 02-24-2019 05:18 PM

I finally treated myself to one of those Champion Gazelles from the Innova Factory Store. Now I only have to wait for about 2 feet of snow to melt to try it out.

swhite 02-24-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeypaws (Post 3421245)
I finally treated myself to one of those Champion Gazelles from the Innova Factory Store. Now I only have to wait for about 2 feet of snow to melt to try it out.



I got some of the Factory Store Gazelles this past fall, and have been bagging a Champion and GStar for some rounds.


The Champion started out fairly high speed stable when new, and was a reliable hyzer disc that I used for a particular hole where the disc needed to have zero high speed turn, followed by a moderate fade. I say "was" because after about 5 rounds, it began to flip up and sometimes ride right a bit on my rhbh throw. I now use it for straight shots only. No more reliable hyzers.

I was hoping the Champion Gazelle would be a Kastaplast Kaxe clone, but with more glide. It has more dome than a Kaxe, thus more glide, but a Kaxe has more overstability even if it is a bit slower and shorter than a Gazelle. I consider the two molds to be different enough that both could be bagged for different type shots.


The GStars that I have are all pretty flat, and appear to have higher parting lines than the Champions. But, the GStar Gazelle that I am bagging is a straight to turnover disc for me. It probably has a bit less glide than the Champion version, but I am now using it in place of a Leopard for woodsy anhyzer shots, around 300 ft.

I have tried one of the Factory Store's Star Gazelles also. It has lots of dome, and feels kind of slow and clunky to me. I'll give it another go this spring, but I liked it less than the Champion and GStars so far.

mostlynorwegian 04-07-2019 10:48 PM

Just got a max weight champion. It is the overstable Gazelle. Brilliant blue color, and opaque for Champion plastic.
Instantly kicked out the Eagle from my bag for the season.

Coldpunk 04-07-2019 11:31 PM

Still available on the factory store
 
1 Attachment(s)
I stocked up on a few of those as well. Throwing these new champ gazelles along side my old flat 10x KC pro champ, the new ones seem slightly more overstable. The stamp is beautiful on these new champs.

Kodachrome 04-08-2019 09:01 AM

Hell yeah. Those new ones are byoooooteeful.

Yxebrew 04-08-2019 10:00 AM

I’ve never held a gazelle. How beefy are they?
I recently picked up a pro Leo, it flys an 0/2 type line. I find I’m using it like a fairway, those in between approach shots especially when I need a lower line, where my FDs and teebirds are more like drivers for me. I love the Leo, but it sounds like it’s not easy to find these stable ones. How would you guys compare gazelles to teebirds stability wise?
Are they pretty consistent?

Alexplz 04-08-2019 11:21 AM

The champ glow (hint) gazelles that OBRB sent me are beefy as all get out, at least for the power I throw them with. They are going < 300 ft for me. Fly more like an OS mid I think.

I think stable leos are easy to find, just grab a max weight domey champ with the Barry 2x stamp.

I sought out a gazelle to try for the same reason, that I was throwing a lot of leos at the time and wanted a stable leo that was not a teebird. I found the GYRO slow fairways as a better option for this slot, the Servo in particular.

Kodachrome 04-08-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yxebrew (Post 3438277)
I’ve never held a gazelle. How beefy are they?
I recently picked up a pro Leo, it flys an 0/2 type line. I find I’m using it like a fairway, those in between approach shots especially when I need a lower line, where my FDs and teebirds are more like drivers for me. I love the Leo, but it sounds like it’s not easy to find these stable ones. How would you guys compare gazelles to teebirds stability wise?
Are they pretty consistent?

Champ gazelles throw like champ teebirds to start.

Cfr glo I've thrown haven't been as overstable as the champs, but are excellent straight to fade fairways on a flat and hard rip.

Star gazelles are domey but fly forever. They are my main drivers in the woods. Very neutral flights with a lot of HSS as long as there is no wind. Kinda like a max weight comet that way. Teeny tiny fade.

Gstar gazelles are weird, but awesome. They turn basically out of the box yet still have some fade. Really great line shapers.

Dx gazelles are great too. Good ones will start out flying like star gazelles.

This is how they behave for me, anyway. My guess is i could throw a gazelle about 360' max.

If you want a stable leo, i would think a champ leo would do fine. Never thrown one, myself. Only pro. Otherwise, sure, a gazelle would do. They can shape lines or hold them. They really do it all, imo, but a teebird is a teebird and a gazelle is a gazelle. The teebird is the more reliable and available disc.

b-mart 04-11-2019 12:33 AM

Good to see Gazelles in the conversation again. I haven't been throwing any of mine for quite some time because I went from FH dominant to FH only and found that a Teebird just did the same thing and was far more replaceable than an 11x when I flicked it. But now that I'm working BH back into my game and the weather is heating up? Time to grab a stack of stock DX, a few old circle stamps, and a stack of 11x and go see what happens in the field!

PhillyMatt 04-15-2019 09:09 AM

My 166g red finger printy 11x kc pro is still the best disc I've ever thrown.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.