Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tournaments & Leagues (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2019 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships Aug 12-17 (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133949)

brutalbrutus 04-19-2019 04:13 AM

2019 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships Aug 12-17

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/38709
https://discgolfproworlds.com/
https://udisclive.com/live/proworlds2019?TournID=38709
https://www.discgolfscene.com/tourna...s/registration

I guess the rush to get registered isn't like it used to be... 3 hours in and only 1 player has registered. Ricky

JC17393 04-19-2019 08:37 AM

Rick probably the only one up that late on a Thursday night. But yes, hard to see the need to rush when there are 214 spots for MPO and less than 200 eligible to register at the moment.

turbosteve 04-19-2019 10:32 AM

The payout this year is going to be huge by our standards. There will be 60000 added cash.

brutalbrutus 04-19-2019 03:44 PM

Up to 16 now... Including Henna and Eveliina…:thmbup:

frasnow 04-19-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbosteve (Post 3443249)
The payout this year is going to be huge by our standards. There will be 60000 added cash.

Seriously, how does Nate Heinold do it? He appears to be doing it for two events with the projected pro payout for Ledgestone being $81,565, and the Am side is $63,580.

Jolt 05-14-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3443358)
Up to 16 now... Including Henna and Eveliina…:thmbup:

looks like Henna is up to 964 in Rating. . just one point after Cat and 4 after Paige. . So Henna is close to being the highest rated FPO in the World.
Have a no US player ever been the highest rated player?

Halcón 05-14-2019 05:44 PM

Henna is the future world champ. It's only a matter of time.

notroman 05-14-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frasnow (Post 3443379)
Seriously, how does Nate Heinold do it? He appears to be doing it for two events with the projected pro payout for Ledgestone being $81,565, and the Am side is $63,580.

To say the guy is a workaholic is a severe understatement.

Jolt 05-15-2019 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3451432)
Henna is the future world champ. It's only a matter of time.

Well, both Henna and Eveliina have a much higher rating than the current World champ, ,, but they canīt win if they donīt play.

So fun to see them finaly play Worlds

brutalbrutus 07-30-2019 04:47 PM

Looks like both CCDG and Jomez will be at Worlds according to the udisc info. Any of the other crews?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvphobic (Post 3478456)
Tagged

JVD, you guys doing live? Can't find any info...

JC17393 07-30-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3478458)
Looks like both CCDG and Jomez will be at Worlds according to the udisc info. Any of the other crews?

JVD, you guys doing live? Can't find any info...

Last week, JVD confirmed on the Smashboxx podcast that they'd be there doing live. I believe he said the plan was MPO day 1, FPO day 2, MPO day 3, FPO day 4 and both on day 5. The reason for the swapping is that signal at Northwoods is insufficient for live, so they'll cover the MPO rounds at Eureka and the FPO rounds at Sunset Hills only.

uncle pennybags 07-31-2019 11:09 AM

I see that everybody's favorite pro Lloyd Weema is signed up again!

Is it weird that I'm hoping he gets some video coverage, preferable with a 1020+ player, just to see the skill level difference?

brutalbrutus 07-31-2019 11:21 AM

I just want to him actually get a birdie...

Steve West 07-31-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3478698)
I just want to him actually get a birdie...

Someone set up a camera on Eureka #3 to document history.

DoWork 07-31-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle pennybags (Post 3478684)

Is it weird that I'm hoping he gets some video coverage, preferable with a 1020+ player, just to see the skill level difference?

I don’t know who this is but I bet the story is hilarious.

brutalbrutus 07-31-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoWork (Post 3478755)

His rating is in the 700's.

lyleoross 07-31-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle pennybags (Post 3478684)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoWork (Post 3478755)

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3478814)
His rating is in the 700's.

And because of his chutzpah, he has somewhat of a fan following. There are those who are disgusted by his playing at top level, then there's those of us who quite willing point out that if we had the time and money that we would do the same. Lloyd is our hero, our model for what we wish we could do, he's willing to be in the embarrassing situation that the rest of us wish we could be in.

Jolt 08-01-2019 05:09 AM

Itīs just odd that anyone can enter a World championchip. . in any sport
in most sports you need to go throw a long and hard qualifying to get in to the Worlds

If i go and watch a Worlds in any sport, i want to see the best athletes in that sport. . . not to see amateurs that play worse than the "weekend players" at a local club

Jolt 08-01-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3479089)
in most sports you need to go throw a long and hard qualifying to get in to the Worlds

If i go and watch a Worlds in any sport, i want to see the best athletes in that sport. . . not to see amateurs that play worse than the "weekend players" at a local club

I really hate that you cant edit your own post on this forum after a few min. . . just makes it hard for us non English speaking to correct bad spelling. . and it makes us look dumb

it should say "through" not "throw" in my post above but i cant cange it . . .why? this is the only forum i have ever seen that have this dumb feature

Flick Maniac 08-01-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

There was a skier from some tropical country in the Skiing World Championships in Finland a few years back.... struggling to even stay upright on the skis :wall: But even he qualified by being the best of his national group. I think.

But in events like track&field there are set results you need to match or best to be able to enter. No matter if you are the top athlete in your country or not. Get the result, then enter.

RistoS 08-01-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flick Maniac (Post 3479100)
But in events like track&field there are set results you need to match or best to be able to enter. No matter if you are the top athlete in your country or not. Get the result, then enter.

Not entirely accurate. As a recent example, Finnish hurdler Reetta Hurske would've probably qualified to the athletics world championships based on annual statistics ranking, even if she didn't meet the result requirement (which she eventually smashed). It's a bit like the qualifying round in field events, you're guaranteed to qualify if you pass the mark but at least X number of participants will qualify regardless.

Still quite a bit more challenging to enter worlds than in disc golf :)

Jolt 08-01-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

There was a skier from some tropical country in the Skiing World Championships in Finland a few years back.... struggling to even stay upright on the skis :wall: But even he qualified by being the best of his national group. I think.

True, we see this quite often in the Olympics. . .just because you are one of the best in a sport in that country, does not mean you are any good ;)
I think "Eddie the Eagle" was the best Ski jumper in England. . .but still one of the worst in the world lol

But i still think only the best discgolfers should be allowed to play Worlds. . .

JC17393 08-01-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3479112)
But i still think only the best discgolfers should be allowed to play Worlds. . .

There are qualifying criteria to get into Worlds. The problem is that not enough players who meet those qualifying criteria actually go to Worlds. If they did, the Lloyd Weemas of the world wouldn't get in. All these other sports we're comparing don't face the same issue where their best don't bother to show up at their World Championships. They also don't rely on having a sizeable field to create the purse that the players compete for.

Just picture the opposite of what we have...a much stricter qualifying standard for Worlds with no exceptions. The result is a smaller field and a smaller payout. Guess what people would be complaining about then? "Our biggest championship and that's all the winner gets?" There's no clearly better path.

If the Lloyd Weemas of the world were getting into Worlds at the expense of, say, the Chris Dickersons and Michael Johansens, then I think there's a reason to care that those players are playing the event. But someone has to come in last at these events, and I don't see why Lloyd Weema being that guy somehow detracts from the championship overall.

As the sport continues to grow, this should be less and less of an issue. Let the scrubs have their fun in the meantime.

Jolt 08-01-2019 09:21 AM

Itīs kind of sad that we need amateur players to fill out the field to be able to reach the payout goal.

But i get it, this is a small sport. . and alot of players that are good enough to play simply canīt afford to go to Worlds.

I heard paige P talk about the fact that even though she won in Europe. . the cost of going is so high that she just broke even,

Letīs hope we get more outside sponsor money. . .in many sports the event have to pay the player to come and play at their event, , ,not the otherway around

Casey 1988 08-01-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3479112)
True, we see this quite often in the Olympics. . .just because you are one of the best in a sport in that country, does not mean you are any good ;)
I think "Eddie the Eagle" was the best Ski jumper in England. . .but still one of the worst in the world lol

But i still think only the best disc golfers should be allowed to play Worlds. . .

Eddie the Eagle only made it because until the Olympic and Worlds committee had it where you only needed to qualify to your country's standard and some like Great Britain did not have a standard or much of one since no one really did ski jumping in GB then he qualified. It was in the 1980's a basic standard was made to save from having more ski jumpers like Eddie who were showing up in countries that did not have much for a standard just to say they made an Olympic team for a sport. I saw a mini documentary on that as they were waiting for the Ski Jumpers in the Russian winter Olympics due to weather being too warm and it was 30 years from the date of his last Olympic jump.

SD86 08-01-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

in most sports you need to go through (FTFY) a long and hard qualifying to get in to the Worlds

Quote:

Like that Olympics where Eddy the Eagle of Great Britain competed in the ski jump, though he was nowhere near Olympic-caliber. Then the IOC instituted new rules to keep that stuff from happening again.

But Disc Golf is nowhere near the Olympics yet. As long as Weema's admission is not denying someone better a shot at the Title, let him play.

brutalbrutus 08-04-2019 11:45 PM

Looks like Zach Arlinghaus accepted cash at Idlewild. He is now listed as a pro and signed up for Worlds. He was in the money at Ledgestone but didn't take it then...

Jolt 08-05-2019 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3480499)
Looks like Zach Arlinghaus accepted cash at Idlewild. He is now listed as a pro and signed up for Worlds. He was in the money at Ledgestone but didn't take it then...

Maybe a little "push" from his sponsor to play Worlds?

But even if thats not the case, he beat alot of big names at Idewild and to play Worlds is a big step that he "needs" to take at this point in his career

Did the T8 at Idewild earn him a USDGC spot?

Jolt 08-05-2019 04:23 AM

So we will have live for MPO day 1, FPO day 2, MPO day 3, FPO day 4 and both on day 5 ?

Trying to figure out the Teetimes for us here in Sweden, but it feels like i only will be able to watch FPO play during the week and then both on Saturday.

Kind of odd to have different teetimes over the week. . SOOO many people going to tune in and expect to se MPO day 2 in the same timeslot as day 1. .

Jolt 08-05-2019 07:07 AM

Maybe OT, but still. .

can you choose anyone as a partner in "Mixed Doubles at Worlds"?. . i feel like some of the "pairs" are a bit odd, a big mix of nationalities and sponsors in the pairs

JC17393 08-05-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3480499)

Ledgestone was before Junior Worlds. Idlewild was after Junior Worlds. Simple as that.

Clearly Zach was intent on playing (and winning) Junior Worlds before he turned pro.

JC17393 08-05-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3480548)
Maybe OT, but still. .

can you choose anyone as a partner in "Mixed Doubles at Worlds"?. . i feel like some of the "pairs" are a bit odd, a big mix of nationalities and sponsors in the pairs

Pretty sure the only stipulation for Mixed Doubles is that each team has at least one woman. Otherwise it's entirely up to the players to choose their own partners. Sponsors, nationalities, etc don't really come into play.

brutalbrutus 08-05-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3480532)

Did the T8 at Idewild earn him a USDGC spot?

Nope. He is going to a tourney in KY that's a qualifier this weekend before leaving for Worlds.

brutalbrutus 08-05-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 3480573)
Ledgestone was before Junior Worlds. Idlewild was after Junior Worlds. Simple as that.

Clearly Zach was intent on playing (and winning) Junior Worlds before he turned pro.

Obviously... What I was getting at with the Ledgestone comment was that he already competed pretty well at the Eureka course.

Cgkdisc 08-05-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 3480573)

By not accepting cash before Junior (or Am) Worlds, he maintained eligibility for those events. He can turn pro after those Worlds and still play for cash for half a year to delay his eligibility for Rookie of the Year until the 2020 season.

Jolt 08-05-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 3480577)
Pretty sure the only stipulation for Mixed Doubles is that each team has at least one woman. Otherwise it's entirely up to the players to choose their own partners. Sponsors, nationalities, etc don't really come into play.

The Eveliina+Nate Perkins team looks fun, and quite odd :) ( no male Finns to play with Eveliina or Henna?! )

Looks like most of the teams are. . couples, teammates or same nationalities

Wonder why all the top FPO players signed up play, but Paul, Ricky, Eagle and other top MPO did not

Streets 08-05-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3480611)
Wonder why all the top FPO players signed up play, but Paul, Ricky, Eagle and other top MPO did not

Paul has been quoted as saying he doesn't compete in "other" events like this, distance comp etc. to avoid chances for injury.

Jolt 08-05-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streets (Post 3480639)
Paul has been quoted as saying he doesn't compete in "other" events like this, distance comp etc. to avoid chances for injury.

Totaly get that, but the mixed event is after the normal Worlds..

Cgkdisc 08-05-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3480670)
Totally get that, but the mixed event is after the normal Worlds..

Unless they changed the schedule, Mixed Doubles is Saturday before Worlds starts.

jvphobic 08-05-2019 12:44 PM

I think they did the mixed event after worlds last year? But almost every other year it was before. I don't remember for sure, I am getting old.