Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Course Design (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Course Optics/Visibility (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130963)

esdubya 05-09-2018 03:37 PM

On the last course I worked on, after the pad locations were finalized I went through each basket location and made the fine adjustments while I stood on the tee-pad and a helper acted as basket. I wanted to create a sense of visual harmony and put the baskets in the best place for a nice view from the tee. One hole#1 for example the basket is perfectly visible through a Y in the tree trunks.

This was on a relatively open (previous golf course) property with no underbrush and large mature trees. Mind you this was just for the fine adjustments, like a few feet here or there. Overall basket and pad placement was done based on what would make the best hole, and make the best overall course with good flow.

I'd say try to make it visible from the tee overall, if it is only moving it a little bit and it doesn't compromise the hole or the putting area.

nate22 05-11-2018 09:55 AM

As a heavily wooded mountain course, this was very important to us, and the reason we went with the yellow bands.

All but 2 of the par 9s can be seen from the tee, and each of those has a rock within 5m of the tee enabling you to see it.

One of the baskets are visible from the tee on a par 4, as its a massive uphill. One you get to see as you walk to the tee, and another is under a massive tree you can see from the tee, right down the middle of the fairway. Another is up the mountain on a massive dog leg, you need to move around to see it but its visible (need to make a viewing spot and knock out a tree or 2).

So really only 3 aren't visible from the tee area, a massive C shaped hole, and 2 S bends

philstine 05-17-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate22 (Post 3306520)
All but 2 of the par 9s can be seen from the tee

:eek::eek::eek:

nate22 05-18-2018 01:24 AM

wooops, par 3s that is

Casey 1988 05-18-2018 04:20 AM

I say a course is fine having blind holes provided it has a way to get to the basket without having 100% of the blind baskets be needing to throw overhand sky shots to get to the basket. Then you might have what the 2017 Collage championship course was like and during the Tournament banning all Overhand shots even if they are forehand rollers as they were just trying to ban the overhand sky shots but forgot about the overhand/forehand ground roller.

goosefraba1 06-27-2018 10:29 PM

I don't see a problem with 1 or 2 blind Par 3s on a wooded course. Black Bear DGC has a blind par 3 on hole 2. It just makes for a great shot... and it wouldn't be as good of a hole without the basket and tees Exactly where they are. So, my answer is do what you can to make an interesting, scoreable hole.

Also, just echoing... there are bright colored baskets out on the market for a reason.

BogeyNoMore 06-27-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey 1988 (Post 3308916)
Then you might have what the 2017 Collage championship course was like...

He makes a valid point... even if wasn't what he meant to say. A collage of different hole types is what every course designer should shoot for when creating a championship level course.

It's OK. I didn't go to collage either. :(

Casey 1988 06-28-2018 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3323973)
He makes a valid point... even if wasn't what he meant to say. A collage of different hole types is what every course designer should shoot for when creating a championship level course.

It's OK. I didn't go to collage either. :(

Mistske, Meant College course of 2017 where they had to ban the overhand throws due to the wall of plants and trees that were not as tall as other places due to weather and soil. So you could do an overhand throw. I would do a sky hyzer as any overhand shot was not allowed on that course. Also was a test to see if they could ban overhand shots in central Texas region due to how most of the more natural disc golf courses form with the wall of shorter trees.

Casey 1988 06-28-2018 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goosefraba1 (Post 3323970)
I don't see a problem with 1 or 2 blind Par 3s on a wooded course. Black Bear DGC has a blind par 3 on hole 2. It just makes for a great shot... and it wouldn't be as good of a hole without the basket and tees Exactly where they are. So, my answer is do what you can to make an interesting, scoreable hole.

Also, just echoing... there are bright colored baskets out on the market for a reason.

Yep since the early 1990's there have been bright colors for disc golf baskets. Before that the trend even from other companies other then Ed Hendrick making baskets and tone holes, was not bright colors, the early cone holes being the big exception.

I was just pointing out that some blind holes/courses that were once non blind holes/courses are due to course neglect and not the way the hole was designed originally. Wall of trees and or plants that grew up over time and make the hole blind when it was not ever blind, forcing people to do overhand or sky shots

Casey 1988 06-28-2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey 1988 (Post 3324014)
Mistske, Meant College course of 2017 where they had to ban the overhand throws due to the wall of plants and trees that were not as tall as other places due to weather and soil. So you could not do an overhand throw. I would do a sky hyzer as any overhand shot was not allowed on that course. Also was a test to see if they could ban overhand shots in central Texas region due to how most of the more natural disc golf courses form with the wall of shorter trees.

Fixed post :doh:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.