Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Twitch of the Hips (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137717)

dreadlock86 10-19-2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3645940)
I'm not really seeing where height of a few inches gives a big advantage. A longer lever takes more power to rotate faster. A shorter lever is easier to rotate. They even out. It's why it doesn't surprise me that height doesn't factor in really in drives off the tee by the pros. Small guys are driving the disc just as far as the taller guys.


it's really nice when you suspect that someone doesn't know $hit and then they prove it to you.


height has nothing to do with lever length, wingspan does. and if lever length doesn't matter then find me an 8" pry bar.

and you're really going to argue that Eagle and Simon, two of the longest throwers in the game, just coincidentally have longer arms than basically all other pros rated over 1020.


if you spent half as much time implementing the good advice here as you did posting absolute garbage, you'd probably already be throwing 400'

RoDeO 10-19-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlock86 (Post 3645964)
it's really nice when you suspect that someone doesn't know $hit and then they prove it to you.


height has nothing to do with lever length, wingspan does. and if lever length doesn't matter then find me an 8" pry bar.

and you're really going to argue that Eagle and Simon, two of the longest throwers in the game, just coincidentally have longer arms than basically all other pros rated over 1020.


if you spent half as much time implementing the good advice here as you did posting absolute garbage, you'd probably already be throwing 400'

I love you too bro.

dreadlock86 10-20-2020 12:40 AM

*kissy face*

we all want you to get there. and you're already putting way more thought into the mechanics than most do so i bet you will. but it's up to you whether you make it easier on yourself or not. it's universal that experience will change one's perspective, especially if one is curious and coachable.

i guess you'll have the opportunity to reevaluate if you end up plateauing. these guys will still be here.

sidewinder22 10-20-2020 12:49 AM

Wiggins and Lizotte are within 2" of each other, both are above average height and wing span and been playing since birth. Wiggins is definitely a better trained athlete. FYI Wiggins holds the current record.

It is rare for 6'10" people to have the coordination for a lot athletic events, but if they do then you are looking at Randy Johnson potential.

How many MLB pitchers are shorter than average 5'9"? Average MLB pitcher is 6'2".
"Stroman is listed at 5 feet 7 inches (1.70 m), making him one of only six pitchers shorter than 5 feet 10 inches (1.78 m) to make a start at the MLB level in the 21st century."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Stroman

The shorter guys throwing high velocity are freakish athletes, although none of them are close to breaking records. Tim Collins put on 41lbs of muscle.
https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a...f-tim-collins/
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...1445495401.jpg

Hand size and strength are big factors. I know I can't palm a disc like McBeth. Emerson's hand looks huge and jacked.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TinyCarefu...restricted.gif
https://i.imgur.com/2euo5j0l.jpg

SaROCaM 10-20-2020 01:44 AM

Height vs. levers is an interesting distinction. Is the whole body a lever or system of levers that are all relevant? Is the arm/wingspan and associated parts the more relevant lever system to focus on?

For anyone who knows, is v=2piRF relevant here for comparing levers? If so, with F as the same for the sake of comparing levers, would it follow that a greater R value would result in greater velocity? So for example, longer elbow to hand length would have greater distal velocity?

A couple things I ran across:

"The longer the lever, the more effective it is in imparting velocity"


"Body height, as well humeral and radial length, has also been associated with increased velocity."

RoDeO 10-20-2020 01:57 AM

The year my son graduated high school there were a half dozen pitching prospects in his class in our local area all throwing uper 80's to low 90's my son being one of them. Three of them were under 6 feet and the other 3 were all over 6'4". Of interest, all three under 6 feet threw harder than the taller ones and had better stats all through high school. Also of interest, the tall ones all got D1 college offers whereas the other 3, including my son just got small college offers because of their lack of height.

I've never believed that being extra tall gives one an advantage with velocity. This little debate started over whether Paul Oman, being tall has an inherent advantage with longer levers. And thus, because he is tall, he should be throwing much farther than 500 feet his mechanics must be bad or less than ideal? Let me just ask this- who in here, regardless of their height, can throw over 500 feet on the fairway during a tournament and get it within circle one? Let him be the one who critiques Oman. No one else has any business doing such.

dreadlock86 10-20-2020 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3646009)
Let me just ask this- who in here, regardless of their height, can throw over 500 feet on the fairway during a tournament and get it within circle one? Let him be the one who critiques Oman. No one else has any business doing such.


logical fallacies are fun

RandyC 10-20-2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3646009)
The year my son graduated high school there were a half dozen pitching prospects in his class in our local area all throwing uper 80's to low 90's my son being one of them. Three of them were under 6 feet and the other 3 were all over 6'4". Of interest, all three under 6 feet threw harder than the taller ones and had better stats all through high school. Also of interest, the tall ones all got D1 college offers whereas the other 3, including my son just got small college offers because of their lack of height.

I've never believed that being extra tall gives one an advantage with velocity. This little debate started over whether Paul Oman, being tall has an inherent advantage with longer levers. And thus, because he is tall, he should be throwing much farther than 500 feet his mechanics must be bad or less than ideal? Let me just ask this- who in here, regardless of their height, can throw over 500 feet on the fairway during a tournament and get it within circle one? Let him be the one who critiques Oman. No one else has any business doing such.

I can throw 500ft during a tournament or maybe even further and everything said about Oman is true. I think I max out around 570ft. My golf distance, something I can pretty reliably throw is somewhere around 450+

navel 10-20-2020 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyC (Post 3646014)
I can throw 500ft during a tournament or maybe even further and everything said about Oman is true. I think I max out around 570ft. My golf distance, something I can pretty reliably throw is somewhere around 450+

You my friend just won a Rodeo pass! By his own logic he can no longer critique you. Amazing! This will be interesting...

sidewinder22 10-20-2020 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3646009)
The year my son graduated high school there were a half dozen pitching prospects in his class in our local area all throwing uper 80's to low 90's my son being one of them. Three of them were under 6 feet and the other 3 were all over 6'4". Of interest, all three under 6 feet threw harder than the taller ones and had better stats all through high school. Also of interest, the tall ones all got D1 college offers whereas the other 3, including my son just got small college offers because of their lack of height.

It takes longer for taller kids to grow into their adult body. The taller kids got scholarships because they have higher potential.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3646009)
I've never believed that being extra tall gives one an advantage with velocity. This little debate started over whether Paul Oman, being tall has an inherent advantage with longer levers. And thus, because he is tall, he should be throwing much farther than 500 feet his mechanics must be bad or less than ideal? Let me just ask this- who in here, regardless of their height, can throw over 500 feet on the fairway during a tournament and get it within circle one? Let him be the one who critiques Oman. No one else has any business doing such.

So Barsby, Philo, and Cale and a ton of other top pros can't comment on tall 500' throwers. How about Simon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PJ7Bs2Sxx4#t=13m22s


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.