Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Shoes - Best bang for your buck? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113439)

Jesterian 03-03-2015 05:54 AM

Shoes - Best bang for your buck?

I've been playing in NB 574's for quite a while now, but although the soles are single piece (required for a shoe to hold up while being pivoted on) they come loose fairly early. Rough, because those things are super comfortable. They're also about $55 for a pair.

I am looking for something along the same lines. A lightweight tennis shoe, that's cheap and durable. Single piece soles of course.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

SpikeHyzer 03-03-2015 09:36 AM

I played in a pair NB minimus shoes for the past couple of years(Multi-Sport Minimus). This year, I discovered the Columbia Conspiracy Razor. They have a Vibram'ish type rubber sole, but I want to say these aren't a one piece sole. They are lightweight, seem to be durable and can be found for a price ranging from $29.99 to $86.99. I bought two pair for $35 each.

goeyj 03-03-2015 11:44 AM

I've been playing in some $20 Wal-Mart trail running shoes. Rugged and durable enough for hiking around all different terrain in all weather conditions. The previous 2 pairs have lasted me about 4-5 months each. For the amount of wear I put on them, that's a good bargain! Plus, if I'm only spending $20 on dedicated disc golf shoes, I don't get upset when they get all muddy or I step in a creek.

djcadence 03-03-2015 12:49 PM

I've been using 574's for years myself, then switched to a pair of Nike Dunks low..I love how you don't have to worry about the sole coming lose at the toe. I also just invested in some Oboz waterproof hikers, they have been the best investment I've made in years. Now I have no worries about wet feet, and playing in the snow or rain.

jchoate7 03-03-2015 12:59 PM

Patagonia Drifter A/C's are the way to go! Pricey up front yes but the shoes have lasted me for 3 years. Over the course of the 3 years I've been using the shoes I've been able to occasionally search clearance racks and found myself 2 back ups for $50 a piece. Great in all weather.

mashnut 03-03-2015 01:02 PM

I've just been picking up lightly used skate shoes at the thrift store for dry days, $5 gets me a pair of shoes that lasts 6 months to a year and extends the life of my waterproof disc golf shoes tremendously. I got some shoe sanitizing spray (like they use at bowling alleys) and I use that and leave the shoes in the sun for a day or two and they're good to go.

sumo21 03-24-2015 04:44 PM

Big 5 always has good deals on hiking shoes/boots. I'm a big guy, 375, and they last me over a year, about 15 months. That's continuous use. I'm currently only wearing those shoes that I designate for disc golf for disc golf. I'm guessing that time will easily double or triple.

BrotherDave 03-24-2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashnut (Post 2717067)
I've just been picking up lightly used skate shoes at the thrift store for dry days, $5 gets me a pair of shoes that lasts 6 months to a year and extends the life of my waterproof disc golf shoes tremendously. I got some shoe sanitizing spray (like they use at bowling alleys) and I use that and leave the shoes in the sun for a day or two and they're good to go.

The route I've been leaning towards, getting tired of shelling out big money for Merrells.

Aim For The Chains 03-24-2015 05:31 PM

stores like marshals, tj maxx, Burlington coat factory etc always have some good deals on shoes. Even been seeing merrells and the like there at $40ish. Definitely agree with mash though if you don't mind slightly used I would buy work boots there for some guys who would always show up to jobs in tennis shoes for the similar price of $5. Once in while you could find a the hard or steel toe even!

mashnut 03-24-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 2734990)
The route I've been leaning towards, getting tired of shelling out big money for Merrells.

I still keep a pair of waterproof shoes around (my current ones are Merrells), I just make them last a lot longer by only using them on days when the waterproofing is necessary.

BuzzzChief 03-25-2015 11:41 AM

I picked up a pair of these for $55 at a Merrell outlet store this weekend, looks like they are currently the same price on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Verter.../dp/B00HF4T9Q0

Super comfortable and lightweight. These will be great for dry conditions. Sticking with the expensive gore-tex shoes for winter/spring. It's worth it to stay dry.

ODRB 03-25-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzzChief (Post 2735610)
I picked up a pair of these for $55 at a Merrell outlet store this weekend, looks like they are currently the same price on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Verter.../dp/B00HF4T9Q0

Super comfortable and lightweight. These will be great for dry conditions. Sticking with the expensive gore-tex shoes for winter/spring. It's worth it to stay dry.

Merrell sent me a pair of those as warranty replacements for a pair of Proterras (which were much better overall, but wore through at both pinky toes within a month). The soles on these Verterras do not hold up to DG. The edges on the knobbly soles catch on the teepads and start to peel away from the layer below instantly. Inside edge of the trailing foot was gone within a few rounds. They are great comfortable shoes, but they will not survive disc golf.

BuzzzChief 03-25-2015 05:55 PM

hmm that's bad news. Sounds like the Merrell warranty is pretty decent though.

I tend to be easier on shoes than most people here, I think. Most people complain about Salomon durability but I've never had an issue through maybe 6 pair. I just got the Merrells because it seemed like such a good deal.

ODRB 03-25-2015 06:17 PM

They're super comfortable. I wear them a lot. They're great shoes. They, like most shoes, just don't deal very well with my toe-dragging. I need shoes where the sole wraps around onto the side.

I'm pretty much at Teva Riva eVents when it's wet and cheap skate shoes when its dry.

BrotherDave 03-25-2015 10:19 PM

The Merrells warranty is great but I'm tired of them being hit or miss in the quality dept. They're DG use only and I make them last forever but I'm getting too good at using Shoe Goo if you know what I mean.

BogeyNoMore 03-25-2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashnut (Post 2735032)
I still keep a pair of waterproof shoes around (my current ones are Merrells), I just make them last a lot longer by only using them on days when the waterproofing is necessary.

^ this. When it's dry, I just wear the running shoes I would normally knock around in.

RFrance 03-25-2015 11:29 PM

The last couple of pairs of shoes I've bought are Reebok Work N Cushion Walking shoes for about $43 at Amazon. They last about 8 months and are waterproof and like the name says, cushiony. What sold me though was Velcro straps. Yeah, laugh now but old age is creeping up on you, too.:)

MidwestZest 04-09-2015 02:56 PM

Bought this exact pair in-store early last fall at the same clearance price. I won't claim them to have the most cushion-y insole, but they're sturdy, have a great tread, and keep my feet dry. Waterproof in the dew and in a couple inches of standing water for me, anyways. And at the price I'm not worried about messing them up. I imagine the clearance price is due to the bright lime green color....

http://www.kmart.com/everlast-reg-me...&mktRedirect=y

threevok 04-09-2015 03:29 PM

Seems like shoes made for tennis use a more durable rubber. I tried NB 696 and they held up well except the interior failed way early.

What's this new spongy material soles are being made from today? It looks like it will tear apart in chunks.

captain jack 04-10-2015 01:38 AM

Merrell shoes fall apart.

I just got these

http://www.zappos.com/images/z/3/0/4...42049-p-2x.jpg

for 35 bucks.
Not sure how thier gonna hold up to my pivot, and forehand foot dragging, but at least I'm gonna look fly while I'm doin' it. :D

asc349 04-19-2015 01:51 PM

Anyone have any experience with Asolo shoes for DG? They can be pricey but I saw some discounted for discontinued colors. Low top trail shoes style.

I had a pair of heavy duty hiking boots years ago and they held up forever for hiking, didn't play DG yet.

dysmike 04-19-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asc349 (Post 2753162)
Anyone have any experience with Asolo shoes for DG? They can be pricey but I saw some discounted for discontinued colors. Low top trail shoes style.

I had a pair of heavy duty hiking boots years ago and they held up forever for hiking, didn't play DG yet.

Yep, Asolo Quadrants with vibram soles. Nice low drop shoe, very comfortable. I had a lace loop snap on one, but Asolo replaced the shoes ;) Other than that, VERY happy with them. As comfortable as Salomons, but the soles are much longer lasting.

MrGlass01 04-19-2015 09:57 PM

hit up marshals they always seem to have nice shoes for disc golf at super reasonable prices. for me the best shoe i have used is the vasque breeze i think 5 years and still going strong

brickdoctor 04-19-2015 10:28 PM

got a pair of Columbia hiking shoes and love them.. wore them all winter water proof or resistant at least look good and clean up well in the kitchen sink. best shoe I ever owned for d/g good grip also . got on sale at outlet store for 60.00

asc349 04-20-2015 09:39 AM

Thanks dysmike!

By the way brickdoctor, you should never clean your shoes in the kitchen sink :)

@iDiscGolf 04-20-2015 01:45 PM

Amazon has Keen on sale.

brickdoctor 04-20-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asc349 (Post 2753489)
Thanks dysmike!

By the way brickdoctor, you should never clean your shoes in the kitchen sink :)

I took most of the dishes out first just not the silverwear

asc349 04-21-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickdoctor (Post 2753989)
I took most of the dishes out first just not the silverwear

Well I guess that works, but don't invite me to dinner Ha! :)

Stardoggy 04-21-2015 11:47 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-T...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I just ordered these to pair with my Keen WP's.

ODRB 04-21-2015 12:00 PM

I've used these (two pairs) to get through three wet Oregon winters of twice+ weekly play. They hold up great. Vibram soles. A little heavy, but really not bad for the durabuility. At $50 they are a steal: http://www.amazon.com/Teva-Riva-Wate...ords=teva+riva

Honestly, people ought to jump at these.

pjhayes7 07-21-2015 10:12 AM

I love wearing spikeless golf shoes for my rainy/early morning rounds. These shoes are designed to be worn in high rough and still be waterproof. Usually they are all leather and don't have liners like many wp trail shoes have. I am sure the wp membranes work fine, but the best way to keep feet dry is never allow water through the outside of the shoe at all. Also, they tend not to smell like I understand is a problem with the membrane shoes. Just stuff some newspaper in them after the round to soak up any sweat. My policy is to only wear them when I have to b/c they will wear down, but the ones I like probably have 25 rounds plus the golf rounds I have played in them and have very little wear. I suspect I have at least another 75 rounds on them and that seems pretty good since I only wear them about once a month(I only play on the weekends usually).

My personal favorites come from a brand called True Linkswear. Most comfortable shoes I have every worn, and that is not a typo where I meant just golf shoes. They were originally based on zero drop and barefoot platform. They also had a very wide toe box that is actually in the shape of your foot. I call them my clown shoes, but love them b/c I have very wide feet but the mediums with the wide toe box is very accommodating. Unfortunately, it seems that the company seems to be getting away from the clown shoe and are making shoes with a more traditional toe box. However, for someone without very wide feet, they would probably be great. I have stocked up on them from ebay for cheap since I don't know if they will produce the old style again. Here is what amazon has for an example of style and price:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_n_...qid=1437487301

Another that I am considering buying is a spikeless shoe Footjoy makes called the Contour Casual. What I like about them is they come in all width from narrow to extra-wide. But what really impresses me is the sole of the shoe. I think they might last a really long time. It seems to be a harder rubber and they whole sole is made of it, not just the very bottom layer that touches the ground. This might make it a little heavier, but I think it will be worth the longevity.
http://www.amazon.com/FootJoy-Contou...n%3A1285100011

Dr.Smooth 07-21-2015 03:27 PM

Any idea if they sell these in a narrow width. I've got really weird feet and if they sell widths I'm stoked as I have never seen a golf/disc golf shoe in widths. I went to the link but didn't see any width options. Maybe I need to revisit and do a new search with that shoe type.

wmjt22 07-21-2015 04:22 PM

Adidas AX 2 - $60

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...8_10000001_-1_

pjhayes7 07-21-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth (Post 2813560)
Any idea if they sell these in a narrow width. I've got really weird feet and if they sell widths I'm stoked as I have never seen a golf/disc golf shoe in widths. I went to the link but didn't see any width options. Maybe I need to revisit and do a new search with that shoe type.

do you mean the trues or the footjoy? The footjoy definitely come in narrow. Some of my favorite sites are tgw.com, golfshoesonly, golflocker, and rockbottomgolf. All have good prices and selections, some better than others. The Trues do not come in varrying width, but I have wide feet and the medium fits well in all the old styles and some of the new. My guess is some of the new ones that are not wide would be good for you. The old style(and new styles to an extent) are designed to have a very spacious toe box and fit snugger on the sides and in the heel. I would recommend trying some on first at a local store before you order any or buy local. They are high quality shoes and I would not mind spending $100 on them if the newer styles worked for me and I did not have three backups already.

Dr.Smooth 07-22-2015 10:40 AM

I meant the foot joy. It would most likely have to be in widths to fit. I don't think anyone would carry locally as I live in the sticks. Would have to probably order online.
Thanks for the help.

ODRB 07-22-2015 12:41 PM

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/hi-...colorFamily=02

Best. Bang. For. Your. $20.23.

pjhayes7 07-22-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth (Post 2814121)
I meant the foot joy. It would most likely have to be in widths to fit. I don't think anyone would carry locally as I live in the sticks. Would have to probably order online.
Thanks for the help.

I would still recommend finding your nearest golfsmith, golf galaxy, dicks sporting goods, etc to try them on. You may have to drive out of you way, try some on, and perhaps still save money and time, even considering the travel by ordering online. I have found that golf shoes can often run in much different sizes from normal sneaker and even from each other. For example, I wear a 10 x wide in most sneakers, but golf shoes a 10 medium in one shoe brand, and another I wear anywhere from a 9 xwide to 10 x wide depending on the shoe style( all within one brand). I am obsessive about proper shoe fit both in width and length and to find that much variance in listed sizes but almost the exact same fit can make it difficult to order solely online unless you get free shipping and return and can order a few to find what fits.

Peter S 07-28-2015 05:41 PM

I am very hard on Dgolf sneekers and will kill them in a month or two. Usually the toe cap comes off and then the entire front starts to seperate. I have tried all kinds from Nike, NB, to Wal-mart no name, same results.

I switched to low hiking boots. I started with a middle of the line brand called Hi-Tech from Sports Authority for around $60.00. They have lasted since last November black friday. Thats about 9 months compared to 1-2 months for sneekers.

This past weekend holes began in the very grippy soles, tread is not warn but chunks came right out, looks like where the tread patterns fit together.

My next stop today is Dick's to try on some Merrill & Keen. Since these Hi-Tech lasted me 9 months I guess the expensive hiking boots in the end are the best bang for my buck compared to sneekers.

asc349 07-29-2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrboy (Post 2814210)

Thanks! ordered two pair

BrotherDave 07-29-2015 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter S (Post 2818576)
I am very hard on Dgolf sneekers and will kill them in a month or two. Usually the toe cap comes off and then the entire front starts to seperate. I have tried all kinds from Nike, NB, to Wal-mart no name, same results.

I switched to low hiking boots. I started with a middle of the line brand called Hi-Tech from Sports Authority for around $60.00. They have lasted since last November black friday. Thats about 9 months compared to 1-2 months for sneekers.

This past weekend holes began in the very grippy soles, tread is not warn but chunks came right out, looks like where the tread patterns fit together.

My next stop today is Dick's to try on some Merrill & Keen. Since these Hi-Tech lasted me 9 months I guess the expensive hiking boots in the end are the best bang for my buck compared to sneekers.

They all fall apart the same really. Rubber vs concrete is a battle rubber loses every time. In my experience the best thing for longevity is to dedicate a pair of shoes for DG only and look for soles with tread patterns that provide less resistance where you pivot so that the concrete doesn't chew them up as fast (rounded seems to work better than knobby tread).