Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brodie Smith PDGA #128378 (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135632)

blazerico 01-05-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHagglund (Post 3534155)
The guy has never played a tournament, and this thread already has ten pages.
If he can spark this much interest, it is good for disc golf.

his status sparked this much interest on a disc golf site. I highly doubt anyone else cares.

Chains Bailey 01-05-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazerico (Post 3534196)
his status sparked this much interest on a disc golf site. I highly doubt anyone else cares.

So, a disc golf media company that could bring a couple million more views to their channel or a disc manufacturer that could possibly sell a ton of product do not care?

MarkDSM 01-05-2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3534176)
Brodie to DD seems inevitable.

Brodie throws and sells UltraStars as his ‘official frisbee’. I would think Discraft wanna keep him in house if he expands.

TAFL 01-06-2020 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F. Howl (Post 3533747)
I love ultimate highlights. Follow more Ultimate content on Instagram than disc golf, because 100% of it are crazy bids and hucks. Never have or would play, though. Catch with an Ultrastar is as far as I go (like the guy below) Just into "frisbee" culture, and I imagine some Ultimate players feel the same.

I've never played anything more than casual pickup, and very little of that.

That said, I've hosted UPA coaching certification clinics and have been certified as a coach. I contributed (years ago) to the development of the 10th edition rules. I spent years involved in online discussion about Ulty and its rules. My son was interested years ago and we would go watch practices and events at KU. So, yeah, I reckon there's appeal among flying disc enthusiasts for the other disc sports.

(The folks who attended those coaching clinics got to see a veryvery large man run drills with them. Probably the only time in their lives to see somebody well over 300 pounds at the time play Ulty.)

Jugular 01-06-2020 11:19 AM

Lots of ex-Ultimate players have the potential to become DGers. I know because I am one and know many more. The potential for moving the other direction is much slimmer.

DiscJunkie 01-06-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jugular (Post 3534331)
Lots of ex-Ultimate players have the potential to become DGers. I know because I am one and know many more. The potential for moving the other direction is much slimmer.

Yep, at 61 I have no desire to run around waving my arms and yelling at everyone I see.

blazerico 01-06-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chains Bailey (Post 3534217)
So, a disc golf media company that could bring a couple million more views to their channel or a disc manufacturer that could possibly sell a ton of product do not care?

a million views on youtube is worth how much, $500? maybe if this guy wins a a few worlds, then he'll influence product sales, but until then...

GoobyPls 01-06-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscJunkie (Post 3534354)
Yep, at 61 I have no desire to run around waving my arms and yelling at everyone I see.

Why not? I do it all the time, it's really a lot of fun. Especially when they're not expecting it.

Oh wait, you mean playing ultimate. Nevermind

F. Howl 01-06-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazerico (Post 3534357)
a million views on youtube is worth how much, $500? maybe if this guy wins a a few worlds, then he'll influence product sales, but until then...

I think its closer to $2k-$3K.

Jugular 01-06-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F. Howl (Post 3534369)
I think its closer to $2k-$3K.

And that's per video posted? That soon adds up over one tournament.

If Brodie boosts the DG community by ten thousand players (1% conversion rate assuming one million followers actually watch), even if only for a few casual rounds and let's assume a starter set each ($50?) that equates to potentially half a million dollars of revenue to the industry.

It's not trivial and that's assuming a perfectly sensible conversion rate, it could vary a lot from that depending on how well the footage paints DG.