Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Better Firebird for forehands? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129185)

jjmiller 10-28-2017 03:39 AM

Better Firebird for forehands?

Rather than further derail the Predator thread, I thought I'd start a new one. The forum has seemed kinda slow lately, anyway.

When I started playing this game, I picked up a 167-169(can't remember exactly) Star Firebird to throw forehands and overheads with. All the recommendations were right. It was the perfect control forehand disc up to about 300' for me. As it broke in on those Colorado rocks, though, it developed turn. It got longer, encroaching into Destroyer range, but it also got less reliable/predictable. So I picked up its twin to replace it. Eventually, that one needed replaced as well. So I've always wondered- is there a disc that I could throw forehands with that would break in like a Teebird or PD that maintains its HSS but just loses fade?

I'm starting to think that the answer is cleaning up my form to the point that I could just throw a Teebird or PD. But try as I might, I can't get rid of that last bit of wobble. There was a time for about two weeks at the end of my first summer playing that I could, and I threw some beautiful shots(including a slightly downhill hyzer flipped Nuke 558' and several 450'+ Destroyers verified by my laser rangefinder), but I couldn't do it again that next spring and I never have been able to since. If I throw a PD like a Firebird, it turns and burns. If I take some off, it doesn't go as far and still fades at the end.

So is there a disc that can continually maintain enough HSS for my less-than-perfect forehand as it breaks in, like Teebirds and PD's? Is it just a matter of figuring out how to throw less overstable discs than a Firebird to begin with? Or could it be related to the fact that forehands don't produce as much spin as backhands?

GripEnemy 10-28-2017 07:54 AM

Banshee is your Teebird answer. And one of my favorite discs I've ever thrown.

Limited on time so that's all I can get into..

DiscgolfStu 10-28-2017 07:59 AM

I went through a similar arc with firebirds until I stumbled across Felons and have been using them ever since.

JeCroisQue 10-28-2017 08:49 AM

I would recommend a Champ Firebird. They will stay more stable for much longer than a star.

As someone else said, a banshee should work well also.

Moose33 10-28-2017 09:15 AM

A Champ Firebird, or VIP Ahti will do this better.

Felon is good, and will be Teebird like eventually but most disc develop turn.

armiller 10-28-2017 09:36 AM

What about a champ Thunderbird? I only have 2, but both are pretty overstable. I've heard them called "beat-up Firebird replacements," and I think that's a fair assessment. I'd go with max weight.

STL Flyer 10-28-2017 11:54 AM

Gateway Evolution Spirit...I bought 3 four years ago and the first one I put in the bag has just started losing fade but it is still extremely reliable into any headwind I've ever thrown it into.

armiller 10-28-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL Flyer (Post 3238076)
Gateway Evolution Spirit...I bought 3 four years ago and the first one I put in the bag has just started losing fade but it is still extremely reliable into any headwind I've ever thrown it into.

Nevermind, I changed my mind. If you haven't tried a Champ Firechicken and you liked star, that's the easy and logical place to start. I tend to like certain molds in certain plastics, and for Firebirds I've always liked champion. Part of it is that those forehands, overhands, and utility shots tend to beat up discs, and champion starts out more overstable than star, beats in more slowly, and keeps its HSS after some wear (and I'm talking regular 12x champ, not some crazy OS run).

slowplastic 10-28-2017 01:13 PM

I think PD is still the answer. Maybe XCal for high speed, I love it for laser FH shots but they may start off really OS when new...beat ones are lasers like a speed 12 PD though. Definitely you shouldn't be needing Firebird stability for every power shot though, I have forehanded Vulcans 400' on hyzer flips. You still have more FH distance than I do obviously, but I don't see how a PD should flip badly at under 375-400' line drives unless you are throwing flex shots with that power.

I don't think Felon is what you want, I absolutely love it as a forehand disc but it is less HSS than a Firebird or PD. It is a better placement driver than PD and longer than a Firebird, but more prone to riding/turning at high power or in wind. Thunderbird is also a fantastic FH "fairway" disc but not what you want...PD is still more firm HSS, faster and more wind cutting, and I think a better laser/power FH shot. If you have trouble with the PD I would think you would have slightly more trouble with the Thundy unless you treat it as a fairway driver, then it is great.

The Albatross 10-28-2017 02:44 PM

The Champion Firebird will have less high speed turn than Star. A beat-up flat one is about one of the greatest forehand discs available.