Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Horror Stories of the Course (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140852)

little oz 01-13-2022 11:28 AM

Horror Stories of the Course

Not just a bad round, but something worse. Robbed while playing? Attacked by a Moose? Pursued by Mimes? Mine happened as i was playing a solo round on a local course. I played through a group and was running to retrieve my disc when my foot slotted into a loop of barbed wire that came up out and back in to the ground in a perfect snare. Slammed to the ground, cracked a couple of ribs, which is no big deal. Got to the car and drove home. While walking into the house my leg audibly snapped. Dislocated ankle, fractured tibia and fibula and shredded all of my tendons. Surgery, 6 weeks of bed rest, 11 months of PT and counting. Thank god it didn't happen in the backcountry!

The Shide 01-13-2022 11:46 AM

Holy schnikeys!!
You win!
Nothing that has happened to me can top that.

ChrisWoj 01-13-2022 11:50 AM

Yeah nope, nothing on that level.

Really not many or any horror stories related to being on the course. You bring up robberies - I have a story that is a funny one. In my first year playing, way back in aught-five, a kid tried to bicycle up to a drive on of my group had thrown and take off with it. Something that happens infrequently but occasionally at that particular course to this day. This kid, however, chose the wrong group. As a newb my entire group of friends that I golfed with were active high school and college cross country runners (including a guy who ran a 15:45 5K that year, and two others who ran sub-2:00 800M). Needless to say - he got spooked after about two blocks when he couldn't shake a mob of 5 people chasing and yelling at him.

Getty 01-13-2022 12:08 PM

This has the potential to be an ugly thread, but I hope you heal up completely, Oz.

In 1990ish a group of 3 methed-out thugs attempted to roll my threesome at Highland Road Park in Baton Rouge. That didn't work out so well for them. One of my playing partners was quite proficient at brawling it turns out. The punks retreated quickly never to return, and we finished our round in peace.

About 15 years ago someone who is very well-liked in the Seattle community was attacked by a group of local thugs on pocket bikes at Seatac. He was playing alone, and they beat him up and stole his bag. Seatac is in the hood if you know what I mean, but it seems to have really calmed down.

jupiterboy 01-13-2022 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little oz (Post 3781771)
Thank god it didn't happen in the backcountry!

You said it. People often don't know what's on the line until they've left their car and walked for three days. There's no ambulance coming. You walk out or the people around you carry your ass out, or walk out and send a helicopter that will arrive about 4 days.

BillFleming 01-13-2022 12:35 PM

Holey Crap! That's awful, lil_oz. I hope you have a full recovery.

Not me, but a friend. He was in a tournament and overnight someone stole his discs/bag from his truck. People at the tournament helped out and got him set up. But then on the drive home, one of his wheels falls off while going 65 MPH. He went to put the spare on and found the locking lug nut key was missing from his glove box....so it appears that not only did someone steal all his discs/bag, they loosened his wheel, so it would come off while he was driving. Luckily he wasn't hurt. But who does that kind of thing?

enragedmullet 01-13-2022 12:41 PM

It's no broken leg, but I was attacked by a small swarm of bees while searching for a Valkyrie at Heckscher Forest on Long Island a couple years ago.

ray1970 01-13-2022 12:42 PM

Guess Iím blessed.

Pretty sure my most horrific experience was shanking a shot into a homeless camp and having to play my next shot and retrieve my disc from the middle of their makeshift dwelling. It was genuinely gross.

chevis 01-13-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enragedmullet (Post 3781797)
It's no broken leg, but I was attacked by a small swarm of bees while searching for a Valkyrie at Heckscher Forest on Long Island a couple years ago.

this is my horror story too; hit a tree with a nest inside, set my bag down at the disc & started lining up the shot, then the swarm hit me & followed me around; stung 9 times, the one on the top of my head hurt the worst. i ran upwind thinking they wouldn't follow, but i think they followed my scent

autocrosscrx 01-13-2022 01:26 PM

Nothing bad happened to me, just embarrassing.

Playing an empty course and this lady is sitting on a towel reading a book on the fairway. She sees me and gets up, to let me throw, but leaves her stuff. I throw my tee shot and it skips hard left and knocks over her drink all over all her stuff.