Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Ess-dog 12-17-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670519)
I want to say this surprises me, but this guy has been reported as a religious wackjob for years.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...180513750.html

Yep. This is part of the problem I see in this. People talking all reasonable about how govt mandated lockdowns are hurting people and we can leave it up to people to be responsible and do the right thing. But at the same time they want to go to their mega church, Vegas, sporting events, have grandma at Christmas with the entire extended family. The rush of experiencing freedom that they believe someone is trying to take away from them must be worth it.

Halcón 12-17-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670123)
This is a solid thread for intelligent, honest discourse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670519)
I want to say this surprises me, but this guy has been reported as a religious wackjob for years.

What intelligent honest thing would you say, that makes you think Kirk Cameron is a "religious wackjob."

air show 12-17-2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3670545)
What intelligent honest thing would you say, that makes you think Kirk Cameron is a "religious wackjob."

Anyone who doesn't wear a mask is a wackjob.

Jay Dub 12-17-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Go away.

ru4por 12-17-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

You are a banned member of this forum. Your intentions are to only seek attention and distract honest members from intelligent discussion. Go away.

Halcón 12-17-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by air show (Post 3670548)
Anyone who doesn't wear a mask is a wackjob.

What if you already had Covid, or are outdoors, not near anybody.

Hampstead 12-17-2020 10:43 PM

Halcón 12-17-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670552)
You are a banned member of this forum. Your intentions are to only seek attention and distract honest members from intelligent discussion. Go away.

I'm sorry, that's not logical. You don't call someone a religious wackjob in a thread where you are supposedly all about intelligent discourse.

air show 12-17-2020 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3670554)
What if you already had Covid, or are outdoors, not near anybody.

Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest you also be like him. Proverbs 26:4

ejvogie 12-17-2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3670379)
"You're only young once. But you can be immature forever." :)

I have to grow old. I DON'T have to grow up.

BogeyNoMore 12-17-2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejvogie (Post 3670573)
I have to grow old. I DON'T have to grow up.

You don't have to grow old.
It's not guaranteed.

hiflyer 12-18-2020 01:53 AM

Honest question:
If I use a disinfectant wipe on something before I use it, such as a keypad, and then wipe it again with the same wipe afterwards, am I actually doing a favor to the next person? Or am I wiping stuff back onto the keypad?

wolfhaley 12-18-2020 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiflyer (Post 3670594)
Honest question:
If I use a disinfectant wipe on something before I use it, such as a keypad, and then wipe it again with the same wipe afterwards, am I actually doing a favor to the next person? Or am I wiping stuff back onto the keypad?

Use a new wipe cheapskate 😁

Halcón 12-18-2020 06:27 AM

Quote:

Honest question:

The disinfectant is killing the virus/bacteria, if the non porous surface, such as a keypad, stays wet for a sufficient amount of time. So if the wipe you're using isn't wet enough to leave the keyboard wet for the recommended timeframe (usually it will indicate this on the container), it's not going to be disinfected anyway.

DavidSauls 12-18-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Honest question:

I'd think that most viruses swept up by the wipe, should be killed by the chemicals on it. They can safely be deposited back on the keypad.

GMcAtee 12-18-2020 07:54 AM

The vaccine is out! Go live your lives.

Halcón 12-18-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3670616)
I'd think that most viruses swept up by the wipe, should be killed by the chemicals on it. They can safely be deposited back on the keypad.

A fresh wipe should be used after the keyboard has been potentially contaminated. Or if a fresh wipe is not available, then at least fresh disinfectant solution should be applied to the keyboard, again, allowing it to remain wet for the recommended timeframe.

Jay Dub 12-18-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3670629)
A fresh wipe should be used after the keyboard has been potentially contaminated. Or if a fresh wipe is not available, then at least fresh disinfectant solution should be applied to the keyboard, again, allowing it to remain wet for the recommended timeframe.

Are you trying a new personality now?

Go away.

ru4por 12-18-2020 08:49 AM

I had a call from my 80 y/o mother last night. She was just asking how she will be notified when to get a vaccine. I chastised her for not having seen her primary care physician in a year and explained that was her best path for information, at this point. It did get me thinking that the COVID fight is now becoming a two pronged problem. As the virus itself rages and healthcare systems, like those in LA, are on the brink of collapse, we now how to ADD the focus of vaccine distribution to the mix.

The obvious initial phase is policy making on prioritization and the logistic of distribution.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/95584...snt-told-where

Trying to leave the politics out of the conversation, this phase is obviously a nightmare, just based on the size and scope of the ask. In my healthcare system, they are already asking for volunteer overtime (paid), to both give shots and document the inoculations. Sign up for four hour shifts after completion of an online training program. I am having a discussion with Mrs. ru4por this weekend and will likely begin training and start helping. This process highlights the second biggest concern with the vaccine. Who the hell is going to give all these shots. I am tempted to say it would be a great opportunity to put the unemployed and struggling faction of this nation, back to work for a while, but I don't think any of us sees that as a viable option. Also, a different discussion.

A third issue is most certainly the cost of distribution. The article above describes the US Government purchase of the vaccine, but who is going to pay for the inoculation piece? This cost is likely to be in the billions or trillions. Mobilize the National Guard? Begin a volunteer effort, the like of, never seen before? A new CCC type organization? Good ideas, put the question of how to pay them lingers.

LA is a BIG problem right now. 0% ICU availability? Uneducated factions still encouraging people to "go live their lives", now that the vaccine is out. Even a small continuation of this wave is going to be VERY bad. From the beginning, the horror point is the implosion of the healthcare system. Right now the very system on the verge, is the one depended upon to resolve the inoculation process issues. I just don't see that working. In Detroit, here, our system is in decent shape, numbers wise....and we are not going to have the resources to adequately distribute the vaccine.

I don't really have the answers. I am a bit alarmed and kind of voicing it here. As usual, thanks for allowing me to muse.

Broken Shoulder 12-18-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670639)
I had a call from my 80 y/o mother last night. She was just asking how she will be notified when to get a vaccine. I chastised her for not having seen her primary care physician in a year and explained that was her best path for information, at this point. It did get me thinking that the COVID fight is now becoming a two pronged problem. As the virus itself rages and healthcare systems, like those in LA, are on the brink of collapse, we now how to ADD the focus of vaccine distribution to the mix.

The obvious initial phase is policy making on prioritization and the logistic of distribution.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/95584...snt-told-where

Trying to leave the politics out of the conversation, this phase is obviously a nightmare, just based on the size and scope of the ask. In my healthcare system, they are already asking for volunteer overtime (paid), to both give shots and document the inoculations. Sign up for four hour shifts after completion of an online training program. I am having a discussion with Mrs. ru4por this weekend and will likely begin training and start helping. This process highlights the second biggest concern with the vaccine. Who the hell is going to give all these shots. I am tempted to say it would be a great opportunity to put the unemployed and struggling faction of this nation, back to work for a while, but I don't think any of us sees that as a viable option. Also, a different discussion.

A third issue is most certainly the cost of distribution. The article above describes the US Government purchase of the vaccine, but who is going to pay for the inoculation piece? This cost is likely to be in the billions or trillions. Mobilize the National Guard? Begin a volunteer effort, the like of, never seen before? A new CCC type organization? Good ideas, put the question of how to pay them lingers.

LA is a BIG problem right now. 0% ICU availability? Uneducated factions still encouraging people to "go live their lives", now that the vaccine is out. Even a small continuation of this wave is going to be VERY bad. From the beginning, the horror point is the implosion of the healthcare system. Right now the very system on the verge, is the one depended upon to resolve the inoculation process issues. I just don't see that working. In Detroit, here, our system is in decent shape, numbers wise....and we are not going to have the resources to adequately distribute the vaccine.

I don't really have the answers. I am a bit alarmed and kind of voicing it here. As usual, thanks for allowing me to muse.

The government will just tack on more debt and have Walgreens cashiers stab us with needles.
What are you so worried about?

(sarcasm, Jay)

ru4por 12-18-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3670644)
The government will just tack on more debt and have Walgreens cashiers stab us with needles.

(sarcasm, Jay)

Yeah, I thought about the Walgreens angle. I am not sure they have the money to invest in freezers without charging a lot for the shot. I am also not sure if you can have anyone giving shots. Don't get me wrong, it is far from rocket science, but I simply don't know if there are regulations. Do pharmacies make use of pharmacists or pharm techs to give flu shots?

Broken Shoulder 12-18-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670650)
Yeah, I thought about the Walgreens angle. I am not sure they have the money to invest in freezers without charging a lot for the shot. I am also not sure if you can have anyone giving shots. Don't get me wrong, it is far from rocket science, but I simply don't know if there are regulations. Do pharmacies make use of pharmacists or pharm techs to give flu shots?

I honestly have no idea.
Perhaps Pfizers vaccine will be focused on distribution to medical and other facilities with capable storage systems and Moderna's could be directed to these retail and other locations since it doesn't have the same temperature and storage requirements.

Hell, send Moderna's to my house. My fiance has RA and administers injections to herself all the time. We can just vaccinate each other.

dysmike 12-18-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMcAtee (Post 3670627)
The vaccine is out! Go live your lives.

That's funny. According to the scheduling, we might be able to get it... in June or July.

Which is according to the same idiot governor (well, his administration) that said Arizona needs to do nothing, because there's a vaccine. Meanwhile, we have the fastest spread in the US.

Halcón 12-18-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670650)
Do pharmacies make use of pharmacists or pharm techs to give flu shots?

When I took my kids to get their flu shots at Walgreens last year, a pharmacist student gave them their shots. So I wouldn't worry about manpower to poke you.

ru4por 12-18-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3670664)
When I took my kids to get their flu shots at Walgreens last year, a pharmacist student gave them their shots. So I wouldn't worry about manpower to poke you.

Stay in your lane troll. You are not bright enough to troll here. Go away.

Halcón 12-18-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670676)
Stay in your lane troll. You are not bright enough to troll here. Go away.

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a troll. (Or an alt, or another account, or anybody else)

You asked a question, and I gave an answer. The correct response should be "Thanks."

ru4por 12-18-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3670654)
I honestly have no idea.
Perhaps Pfizers vaccine will be focused on distribution to medical and other facilities with capable storage systems and Moderna's could be directed to these retail and other locations since it doesn't have the same temperature and storage requirements.

Hell, send Moderna's to my house. My fiance has RA and administers injections to herself all the time. We can just vaccinate each other.

Moderna vaccination has to be kept at -20 C or -4 F. Still outside the range of a normal freezer....I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3670656)
That's funny. According to the scheduling, we might be able to get it... in June or July.

Which is according to the same idiot governor (well, his administration) that said Arizona needs to do nothing, because there's a vaccine. Meanwhile, we have the fastest spread in the US.

I have continued to believe that even this timeline is not achievable. Even if it is, and we start to vaccinate most healthy people. The people who do want to go out and resume a public life. It is a month until they are ready for a second dose and another month until its effectiveness is complete. So, the pie in the sky, timeline is August for most people. A ton of this depends on our ability to keep the healthcare systems viable. That will depend on the very people, who have clearly demonstrated ignorance, to do the right thing until then. I am skeptical.

ru4por 12-18-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3670680)
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a troll. (Or an alt, or another account, or anybody else)

You asked a question, and I gave an answer. The correct response should be "Thanks."

Your responses are incorrect, misleading and designed to garner attention. Stop. Go back to the watercooler, go to facebook, go to reddit....just go away.

And no, I am not going to attempt to correct your ignorance. I am not interested in taking this thread down your troll rabbit hole. Go away.

Here is a great place for your tripe. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136400

DavidSauls 12-18-2020 10:36 AM

Among the questions on distribution, once they get past medical staff & nursing homes, is whether people will have to prove they're in the priority categories. Can I claim to have underlying conditions and get a shot earlier than if I wait?

It's about to be a two-front war: people who decline, and people who cheat to get ahead.

dysmike 12-18-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670684)

I have continued to believe that even this timeline is not achievable. l.

Yep. When this started, my estimate was 18mos/2 years minimum before 'normality'. With as badly managed as it's been so far.. that's slipping too. Rushing it, makes it worse.

dysmike 12-18-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670687)
Your responses are incorrect, misleading and designed to garner attention.

The very definition of 'troll'.

ru4por 12-18-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3670700)
Among the questions on distribution, once they get past medical staff & nursing homes, is whether people will have to prove they're in the priority categories. Can I claim to have underlying conditions and get a shot earlier than if I wait?

It's about to be a two-front war: people who decline, and people who cheat to get ahead.

I guess I am hoping that primary care physicians offices become one of the principle points of access to the vaccine. Not that they are immune from fraud or inappropriate decisions, but they would have the access to medical backgrounds of patients. As would healthcare systems. Most electronic medical record systems now have the ability to query outpatient medical info and out of system medical info.

ejvogie 12-18-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3670579)
You don't have to grow old.
It's not guaranteed.

True. It beats the alternative though. At least for now.

DavidSauls 12-18-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3670704)
I guess I am hoping that primary care physicians offices become one of the principle points of access to the vaccine. Not that they are immune from fraud or inappropriate decisions, but they would have the access to medical backgrounds of patients. As would healthcare systems. Most electronic medical record systems now have the ability to query outpatient medical info and out of system medical info.

I'm just guessing. Particularly with the vaccines that don't need to kept super-cold, if we have drive-through vaccinations, large-scale centers, etc. It's not just medical records: if a priority is given to, say, grocery workers, will you need to present a pay stub?

I'm not so much cynical of the system, as thinking that at this scale, there's bound to be problems.

hiflyer 12-18-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3670644)

(sarcasm, Jay)

Or even better (worse?):
"So 2 cheese burgers and a coke. Would you like a vaccine with that?"

wintry mix 12-18-2020 11:41 AM

This is nice sane discussion of a most insane year.
Been reading some states say they will be getting fewer vaccines in their 2nd batch than originally promised.
It's not clear why. In response to concerns about this Pfizer released this:

"Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) today released the following statement to address public comments that allege there are issues in the production and distribution of the company’s COVID-19 vaccine: “Pfizer is not having any production issues with our COVID-19 vaccine, and no shipments containing the vaccine are on hold or delayed. This week, we successfully shipped all 2.9 million doses that we were asked to ship by the U.S. Government to the locations specified by them. We have millions more doses sitting in our warehouse but, as of now, we have not received any shipment instructions for additional doses."

I guess Pfizer isn't interested in taking the blame.

Broken Shoulder 12-18-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiflyer (Post 3670734)
Or even better (worse?):
"So 2 cheese burgers and a coke. Would you like a vaccine with that?"

I mean, in all honesty, I can't think of anything more American.

BogeyNoMore 12-18-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3670727)
I'm not so much cynical of the system, as thinking that at this scale, there's bound to be problems.

Bingo.

Countchunkula 12-18-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wintry mix (Post 3670735)
This is nice sane discussion of a most insane year.
Been reading some states say they will be getting fewer vaccines in their 2nd batch than originally promised.
It's not clear why. In response to concerns about this Pfizer released this:

"Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) today released the following statement to address public comments that allege there are issues in the production and distribution of the company’s COVID-19 vaccine: “Pfizer is not having any production issues with our COVID-19 vaccine, and no shipments containing the vaccine are on hold or delayed. This week, we successfully shipped all 2.9 million doses that we were asked to ship by the U.S. Government to the locations specified by them. We have millions more doses sitting in our warehouse but, as of now, we have not received any shipment instructions for additional doses."

I guess Pfizer isn't interested in taking the blame.

I understand that the mass vaccination campaign is a complete logistical nightmare, but this is concerning. Wonder if the government is just slow to provide shipping instructions or if they don't have the proper cold storage in place at the intended destinations.

Countchunkula 12-18-2020 01:05 PM

My sister is actually getting her first shot today. She's a counseling psychologist who primarily works with women who have high risk pregnancies. She got an email out of the blue that she had an appointment today at a hospital in the northern Chicago suburbs. She lives in Carbondale (close to the southern tip of Illinois). No idea why she needs to drive the length of the state to get a stab. Also, most of her counseling sessions are done via video conference nowadays. :\