Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

ru4por 02-22-2021 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3692605)
How am I not surprised that you would be able find some sort of negative about the vaccine and reasons to be pessimistic.

Cheer up dude! Here's some positive info for you:

Daily US cases, are down to a third off their peak. Hospitalizations are half of the peak. Daily deaths are almost half and continue to plummet.

At the current vaccination rate, anyone 65+ (the people who make up 80% of deaths) should have had an opportunity at least getting the first dose within a month or two.

Actually, Dr. Fauci provided the article. I have been called negative several times in the last year. Mostly, it has turned out to be......what is the word....oh yeah, correct.

I could come here to placate DG player and blow sunshine up your rump, but I have not really seen that the compassion in this country, to do the right thing by those around them, warrants such a solar wind.

I do have trepidation about the general population's diligence with masks, distance....waning, with both a decrease in the virus and beginnings of the vaccine.

I call that concern, pragmatic. I can and do appreciate your optimism....but I will try to refrain from judging you on it.

Emoney 02-22-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3692605)
How am I not surprised that you would be able find some sort of negative about the vaccine and reasons to be pessimistic.

Cheer up dude! Here's some positive info for you:

Good call
It's easy to post " i was watching netflix last night and on every show, not a single person was wearing a mask"

Thanks for giving directions to the lemonade stand. A little bit of water and sugar...it can be quite refreshing.

discerdoo 02-23-2021 11:30 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/o...den-fauci.html

Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side....

DG_player 02-23-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3692630)
Actually, Dr. Fauci provided the article. I have been called negative several times in the last year. Mostly, it has turned out to be......what is the word....oh yeah, correct.

I could come here to placate DG player and blow sunshine up your rump, but I have not really seen that the compassion in this country, to do the right thing by those around them, warrants such a solar wind.

I do have trepidation about the general population's diligence with masks, distance....waning, with both a decrease in the virus and beginnings of the vaccine.

I call that concern, pragmatic. I can and do appreciate your optimism....but I will try to refrain from judging you on it.

Non stop negative messaging has consequences.

I have vaccine ambivalent friends who think it doesn't work and isn't "even as good as the flu vaccine". This is a direct result of the litany of "you can still catch covid" messages. Most people don't understand that many vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity and you can still get a sub-clinical or mild infection. They interpret the information (especially after the media has had time to create an appropriately scary headline) to mean that the vaccine is ineffective.

We should be encouraging people to get it by telling them it's great, because it is great, and that it will change their lives for the better. Grandma's vaccinated? Take your kids to see her finally. So on and so on. All of the "world isn't going to change because of the vaccine and we'll be still wearing masks next christmas" messaging isn't helping convince anyone who's on the fence.

DiscFifty 02-23-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3692816)
Non stop negative messaging has consequences.....

We should be encouraging people to get it by telling them it's great, because it is great, and that it will change their lives for the better. Grandma's vaccinated? Take your kids to see her finally. So on and so on. All of the "world isn't going to change because of the vaccine and we'll be still wearing masks next christmas" messaging isn't helping convince anyone who's on the fence.

And let's don't forget this humdinger of a psa. Not saying it's not true btw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3688500)
Once vaccinated, you can still catch COVID, still spread COVID. Essentially, the vaccine ensures you would now become an asymptomatic carrier. Probably the biggest spread threat, all along. I fear this is a lost message, not only with my mom, but most people.


dysmike 02-23-2021 12:53 PM

Wow, so now the media is at fault for reporting facts.. because the public is too ignorant to interpret them correctly? Isn't that the governments education policies that's ultimately the issue?

signed, engineer.

Jay Dub 02-23-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3692824)
Wow, so now the media is at fault for reporting facts.. because the public is too ignorant to interpret them correctly? Isn't that the governments education policies that's ultimately the issue?

signed, engineer.

In that field if you can't answer factually "why" your statement is true you won't last long. And you get asked all the time, it's how it works.

dysmike 02-23-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3692825)
In that field if you can't answer factually "why" your statement is true you won't last long. And you get asked all the time, it's how it works.

It's also why I'm a 'glass is twice as big as it needs to be' kind of guy.
and why I stated it ;) I like data, it's totally neutral.

ru4por 02-23-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3692823)
And let's don't forget this humdinger of a psa. Not saying it's not true btw.

The problem is....you have NO idea if it is true, or really what it meant.

Why is it that your contributions to this thread consist of posts about other posters, as opposed to the topic? While I appreciate the dedication to following my posting, I am just a bit uncomfortable with the obsession. Now do you have any COVID input?

teemkey 02-23-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3692825)
In that field if you can't answer factually "why" your statement is true you won't last long. And you get asked all the time, it's how it works.

And there's the problem.

Without at least superficial knowledge of how the immune system works, a person cannot understand how the vaccine works; nor what the word "immunity" means when applied to the actual immune system response.

News programs are (generally) commercial enterprises that adhere to a fixed schedule, and don't have the necessary time to instruct their audiences in the basics of physiological systemic response every time they mention a new factoid.

Still, the information is out there on web sites, youtube videos, etc.

But: horse, water, drink.

Jay Dub 02-23-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3692835)
The problem is....you have NO idea if it is true, or really what it meant.

Why is it that your contributions to this thread consist of posts about other posters, as opposed to the topic? While I appreciate the dedication to following my posting, I am just a bit uncomfortable with the obsession. Now do you have any COVID input?

Most if not all know his agenda in here.

DG_player 02-23-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3692824)
Wow, so now the media is at fault for reporting facts.. because the public is too ignorant to interpret them correctly? Isn't that the governments education policies that's ultimately the issue?

signed, engineer.

Personally I think the media has a duty to present facts honestly in the way a layman can understand. You shouldn't have to be an expert of the immune system or how vaccine trials work to be able to piece it together.

So far I've had to deal with the "it only lasts 3 months" and "it doesn't even prevent infection" trying to convince vaccine skeptical friends and relatives to get it. The sad thing is it's difficult to refute because they can quickly pull up a news headline that says essentially that. It's hard enough battling the crazy conspiracy theories, but with most news outlets putting every minor story through the most negative prism possible to get clicks, it's nearly impossible to get through to people.

Monocacy 02-23-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3692816)
I have vaccine ambivalent friends who think it doesn't work and isn't "even as good as the flu vaccine". This is a direct result of the litany of "you can still catch covid" messages. Most people don't understand that many vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity and you can still get a sub-clinical or mild infection. They interpret the information . . . to mean that the vaccine is ineffective.

This is a very good point. The CDC no longer requires fully-vaccinated people to quarantine after COVID-19 exposure as long as they remain asymptomatic. The CDC is also developing more relaxed public health guidance for those who have been vaccinated.

Preliminary data, not peer-reviewed, suggests:

85% lower risk of infection after two doses (Pfizer)
70% lower risk of infection after one dose (Pfizer)
67% reduction in asymptomatic infections after one shot (Moderna, AstraZeneca)
1.6 to 20 times lower viral load for those infected after vaccination (Pfizer)
Significantly reduced viral loads 2-4 weeks after one shot (Pfizer)
49.3% reduction in asymptomatic infections (AstraZeneca)
99% reduction in mortality (Pfizer)

Should these preliminary data be confirmed, I hope that this good news is shouted from the hilltops, even as people are cautioned that some precautions remain advisable.

Can a Vaccinated Person Still Spread the Coronavirus? | Bloomberg

DavidSauls 02-23-2021 04:43 PM

In the meantime, there's all sorts of wonderful news and terrible news about one of the worst disasters of my long lifetime that we could discuss. Even disc golf, like how I was impressed that a car with 3 players arrived at Stoney Hill a few days ago, and all 3 were masked while carpooling. Even though one has had both vaccine doses. They unmasked when playing, but it was nice to meet someone taking it seriously.

discerdoo 02-23-2021 04:47 PM

Have they ever landfilled a 500+ page thread?

Jay Dub 02-23-2021 05:03 PM

New thread please. 5000 posts gets shut down and new threads are made. THE only reason. :)


https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...24#post3692924

DavidSauls 02-23-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3692927)
New thread please. 5000 posts gets shut down and new threads are made. THE only reason. :)


https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...24#post3692924

You missed your chance. You could have titled it, Did we take Covid-19 seriously?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.