Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Playin' in the Rain. (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2679)

Hector Chain 11-19-2010 02:07 PM

I played in a pretty steady rain for two rounds recently. I found Champion plastic tough to grip, even after I dried the disc off (if it's raining hard, at some point your hand just stays wet and it's hard to dry it off). As others have said, focus on accuracy and forget about distance if your grip starts to become an issue.

Also, be prepared to throw a lot of shots with no run-up if the ground gets muddy or slippery.

Sean Johnson 11-19-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstearns5 (Post 578101)
I have rock climbing chalk. Is that basically the same thing?

Not sure, what does it do when it gets wet? If it clumps up or anything, than that is definately not what you want. A birdie bag has kiln-dried cedar in it. Basically, it's used to get that last little bit of moisture off of your disc or hands. Clean and dry your disc before using, then finish with the birdie bag. I find that in really wet conditions, this is the only way to get a perfectly dry grip. I'm kind of a spaz when it comes to grip consistency, since I feel that it is one of the variables that I can actually control.

...And to the op: seriously, bring extra socks and twice the towels that you think you'll need. When I was playing in Portland, I had a guy tell me that tourneys have been won and lost by the guy with the most towels. He (supposedly) saw a 4-stroke lead disappear in six holes when the the guy in the lead ran out of dry towels.

battsypants 11-19-2010 02:33 PM

DX plastic... I find that it offers better grip than any other plastic in the rain.

andrewkh 11-19-2010 02:39 PM

bring extra towels and put one in a bag to make sure it stays dry. just remember that everyone is going to have to deal with rain so as long as you play it safe you should be fine

trifocal 11-19-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstearns5 (Post 578101)
I have rock climbing chalk. Is that basically the same thing?

I believe so.
I've tried using my climbers chalk on wet days and frankly, wasn't pleased...it kinda builds up and i've experienced very funky grips with super tacky spots and goofy slippy spots on my throwing hand...at the same time. Adds a lot to the pleasant task of trying to throw in the rain. And it gets on your discs, too...further complicating matters

I wouldn't say don't try it, but go easy on that stuff.

kenjiac 11-19-2010 02:47 PM

Know anyone with those fade staps with the rain bag? Borrow them. They look kinda of gay but keep your gear nice and dry.

The Hammer 11-19-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjiac (Post 578155)
Know anyone with those fade staps with the rain bag? Borrow them. They look kinda of gay but keep your gear nice and dry.

I was actually thinking about going to my shop to buy some. I may never use them again afterwards, so I'm not sure I want to spend the money. However, it was a top goal of mine this year to win this series, so I may have to spend anyway.

trifocal 11-19-2010 03:17 PM

Get a caddie. You can thank me later.

In any event...have fun meeting your goal.

We will all want a recap of your tourney, so take notes between shots and degritting discs and keeping the scorecard dry.

NateDiscFlip 11-19-2010 03:20 PM

Lots of towels, and be sure to use plastics that you can grip well in the rain. I would also recommend discin down, since your foot work and grip will not be what they need to be to be effective with faster discs.

chrishysell 11-19-2010 03:22 PM

The rain can be an advantage if you are prepared. I usually carry a chamois and a small towel. Usually I just play in a raincoat but I have recently used an umbrella. If you dry the disc with a chamois all of the plastic will be grippy. Keep your feet dry and you will be comfortable. I usually wear a thinsulate glove on my left hand. Only use your left hand to pick up your discs. Keep your right hand in your pocket until you throw.