Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Playin' in the Rain. (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2679)

zenbot 04-08-2009 02:19 PM

Playin' in the Rain.

I played a round in the rain yesterday afternoon. (Strange for So Cal, I know.) My theory was to get as drenched as quickly as possible and get used to the extra slipperiness. The other guys tried their hardest to stay dry with umbrellas, extra towels, and a bunch of other stuff although seemed that the soaking was inevitable.

I played pretty well, considering, but was just wondering what tips and tricks everyone has.

80playedin10states 04-08-2009 02:25 PM

lotsa towels..i put one in my umbella(when its open...lol) to keep it dry...dx seems to be grippier when wet than the other types of plastic...a bowling rosin bag works good for wet hands or a birdie bag..i play in a lot of foul weather and keeping your bag closed and under the unbrella works good also...footing is another story..

cc0049 04-08-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80playedin10states (Post 47741)
lotsa towels..i put one in my umbella(when its open...lol) to keep it dry...dx seems to be grippier when wet than the other types of plastic...a bowling rosin bag works good for wet hands or a birdie bag..i play in a lot of foul weather and keeping your bag closed and under the unbrella works good also...footing is another story..

Do you hold your umbrella while you throw?

zenbot 04-08-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80playedin10states (Post 47741)
footing is another story..

The crappy footing was actually a good learning tool. I really had to work on the technique of my throw and not so much a huge run-up.

DiscJunkie 04-08-2009 03:04 PM

Rule 1: Keep your discs dry and clean as possible.
Rule 2: Don't anger the rain gods by complaining. Rain is good, but maybe not for you right then...
Rule 3: Play to the conditions. Fewer skips on the ground, distance is a little less, leaves get real skippy when wet, puddles don't skip at all, etc.
Rule 4: A wet day of disc golf is better than a dry day at work.

cc0049 04-08-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freetech (Post 47758)
Rule 3: Play to the conditions. Fewer skips on the ground, distance is a little less, leaves get real skippy when wet, puddles don't skip at all, etc.

I've seen a disc skip on a puddle.

D.W.G. 04-08-2009 03:23 PM

Rain, snow, I like playing in it all... When it is raining, I make sure to check the tee pads to make sure it isn't too slippery... Other than that, I do nothing special...

DiscJunkie 04-08-2009 03:28 PM

There's always the exception.
I've seen a pig fly, it was the landing that was exceptional.

SigmaChris 04-08-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc0049 (Post 47746)
Do you hold your umbrella while you throw?

If its a drizzle or what I call spit, no umbrella. If its raining hard I would bring a golf umbrella, those extra large diameter umbrells. The support bars underneath are strong enough that you can hang a golf towel from them. Hold the umbrella until just before your throw and then lay it down on its side covering your bag. This will keep your bag dry, the towel hanging from the bars dry and you will be in the elements for just a few seconds.

Now if you are in a dense wooded course, then the umbrella may be a hindrance. I would then go to my golf rain suit, no umbrella and just grin and bare it.

I like the elements it adds a challenge. I am not a tourney player, but if you are then you never know when you will be playing in a tourney when the elements go bad. Best to practice playing in the elements so you are prepared.

giles 04-08-2009 03:47 PM

Cover your throwing hand and disc with a towel until you are ready to throw. Lay a large towel on the end of the tee box to get better footing if the pad is muddy and slick. Take lots and lots of small towels.

solomon.trenton 04-08-2009 03:58 PM

use a flydry towel to dry off the disc and keep it underneath either a small raincoat or poncho. carry your bag in a trash bag and wear waterproof socks.

CaptainAnhyzer 04-08-2009 04:08 PM

if you're caught out on the course during a tounament and you and your towel are soaked thru, pull out the DX plastic......i found that wiping DX with even a wet towel makes the grip ok.......... MUCH better than wet Champ/Pro type plastics.

And to all the glasses-wearing DG players.......... WEAR A HAT WITH A BRIM !!! Keeping the specs clear and smear-free is key for us near-sighted people. I just sprayed 4 of my hats with a fabric waterproofing for just this reason...........

Marty McFly 04-08-2009 06:07 PM

Water proof socks ftw.

phishbrained 04-08-2009 08:50 PM

keep an extra towel (like those shammies or car towels) in a plastic bag so you can get a dry disc or hand if you need it.

TalbotTrojan 04-08-2009 09:03 PM

Rain is fun, got my first Ace in the rain. I'd play in rain everyday if I could. I look at it as just one more thing trying to mess with my mind and I love a good mental challenge. I also like the guys who bring a seat to the course and put their bag on that to keep it off the wet ground, just to add something that hasn't already been said.

Lewis 04-08-2009 11:47 PM

I wear a hat with a brim rain or shine. Really I don't leave home without one. If it's sunny, it's one more thing to keep the glare at bay, and if it's rainy, there's no substitute for keeping the rain out of your eyes, specs or not. It's not for no reason that baseball players, tennis players, ball golfers, and all kinds of other outdoor athletes wear ball caps.

To help manage a sloppy course, consider wearing cleats. It won't help you on a concrete tee pad, but man, on the rest of the course, and if the pads are dirt, there's no substitute.

Dthunderchicken 04-09-2009 09:57 AM

I'm surprised that no one has referanced the Shamwow thread yet. I wish I had one last weekend.

80playedin10states 04-09-2009 11:10 AM

funny you mentioned shamwow...they suck!! we tried 'em this past weekend at a tourney in NY

t i m 04-09-2009 11:24 AM

I personally prefer dirt teepads to concrete teepads in most conditions. At least with dirt, you know to wear cleats in all conditions. With concrete, you're screwed when it is wet or icy.

For rain, waterproof pants are huge for me -- being able to sit down or lean against a tree or kneel for a putt... also, play courses with big cedar trees if you can. They are like natural umbrellas -- hide under there and stay dry while you're waiting on your buddies to throw.

zenbot 04-09-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80playedin10states (Post 47992)
funny you mentioned shamwow...they suck!! we tried 'em this past weekend at a tourney in NY

They suck? As in "suck the water right off your disc"?

cc0049 04-09-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t i m (Post 47995)
I personally prefer dirt teepads to concrete teepads in most conditions. At least with dirt, you know to wear cleats in all conditions. With concrete, you're screwed when it is wet or icy.

This may be a topic for another thread, but I've always thought that wearing cleats on a dg course was frowned upon. Cleats on a muddy teepad will tear it up for future use when it dries, doesn't it? ...leaving ruts, etc.?

ShortBusDiscGolf 04-09-2009 01:35 PM

1)fill your bag with mud.
2)swear as much as possible
3)kicking your bag from time to time helps
4)if none of this seems to work, threaten never to play this silly game again.
5)if i were you i wouldn't listen to a word i just said. it's rain, it just happens. hold yourself with the same confidence in your game in or out of the rain. just play your game.

Dthunderchicken 04-09-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80playedin10states (Post 47992)

I wonder if it has to be wet to work properly just like a regular leather chamois. (?sp) After the rain I played in last last weekend I'm considering stashing an old chamois in my bag. I dryed my discs till the towel was as wet as the discs. Then the only thing the towel was good for was wiping most of the mud away.

Speaking of mud, I've found those tennis shoe hikers to be the best for a round on a wet and muddy course. (Of course I had to fall and slide face down after a shot to figure that one out. Learning for me is often embarrassing:p)

sidewinder22 04-10-2009 10:29 PM

Looks like I'll playing in the rain tomorrow...anybody think it would help to wear my Under Amour glove which are close to receiver gloves?

zenbot 04-10-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 48372)
Looks like I'll playing in the rain tomorrow...anybody think it would help to wear my Under Amour glove which are close to receiver gloves?

Couldn't tell you. Try it out. Let us know what you think.

zenbot 12-14-2009 12:55 PM

I played 2 really fun rounds in the rain at our monthly this weekend. I still subscribe to not fighting the inevitable wetness. Accept it and adjust.

I did lose by 1 point which I attribute to not taking my bag off on a 5 foot putt and shanking. So stupid.

toothyfish 12-14-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken (Post 48096)
I wonder if it has to be wet to work properly just like a regular leather chamois. (?sp) After the rain I played in last last weekend I'm considering stashing an old chamois in my bag. I dryed my discs till the towel was as wet as the discs. Then the only thing the towel was good for was wiping most of the mud away.

Speaking of mud, I've found those tennis shoe hikers to be the best for a round on a wet and muddy course. (Of course I had to fall and slide face down after a shot to figure that one out. Learning for me is often embarrassing:p)

The microfibre towels work well. Even when they get damp, they remove most of the moisture. Use two: I keep one that I use to dry the disc as much as possible (asn this one will get wet), and a second to wipe just wear I intend to grip it. The second towel won't get wet hardly at all and you'll always have a dry spot to hang onto.

Technohic 12-14-2009 02:05 PM

Fade towel doesnt work great.

One course I go to has rubber mats for tees and they are absolutely horrible when wet and would rather not have them still when dry.

MrMayor 12-14-2009 02:20 PM

Waterproof boots, hat with a brim- Absolute must. Umbrellas are for tourists & wimps. (140+ days a year of rain here in Oregon)

One of my favorite rounds was Thanksgiving morning this year. Pouring down rain, everyone added about 5 strokes, but it was a blast.

For cold weather I like the fingerless gloves with the mitten part that folds over. Keeps your hands warm while walking, and I throw just as badly with them on as I do not when not wearing them.

Fleshgordon 12-14-2009 02:30 PM

A Snuggie and a helmet

chain-addicted 12-14-2009 02:35 PM

Heavens Gate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleshgordon (Post 214936)
A Snuggie and a helmet

A snuggie? You mean that Cultish looking bath-robe thingy? Hilarious.

cmcolomb 12-14-2009 02:41 PM

I just bit the bullet and ventured out into the overcast, rainy, less than 40 degree weather yesterday and I geared up.

Skiing socks + Waterproof shoes/boots PLUS... wait for it... Toe Hotties.. like hot hands but with an adhesive to stick to your sock. = Heaven, plain and simple.

I also bundled up layers with the outermost layer being an insulated pant/shirt or water resistant jacket, etc.

MotoDj 12-14-2009 03:43 PM

i love microfiber towels, but if i know its gonna be wet, next time i'm bringing a chamois, its the onlyway 2 towels would make a round with the ability of actually drying discs
for slick concrete pads, you can have a 3rd towel and lay it down on the teepad and use it for your footing (it is legal on the teepads)
good luck stayin dry, i think a cart with an umbrella holder would work the best... but when you get to your lie chances are the branches will soak you just the same, but keep your feet dry - boots, waterproof socks?, when i played soccer the mexican refs used plastic bags over their socks, inside shoes... that works great, but looks goofy, in a pinch its the shizzz
could try a rain coat... but long sleeves bother me, so i'm unsure about a heavy rain coat, a trash bag with 3 holes would be much less of a hindrance... but would snag/tear easy on wooded courses
nice ideas about a birdie bag, i'll have to give it a shot
i have issues with my fingers pruning up after a full round in the rain, the 2nd round feels brutal on worn skin,
depending on your bag, either cover it always and only put clean discs in - or like my bag its just easier to keep mud out, but leave the drying until your going to throw that particular disc
bring ziploc bags for cigs, cell phone etc
if its a 2 rounder, a change of clothes and shoes is priceless
i dont mind being wet, but thinner clothing weighs lot less when wet, instead of a sweatshirt wear a long sleeve tshirt, once its wet temp will be the same, but much less interference
cleats work great, i use an astroturf type cleat so i dont dig ruts - i wouldnt do that to a nice lawn course, but most our courses seem to be muddy most the time anyways

i'll try to think of more, but just plan ahead to be wet, if thats an issue, stay home and play on DGCR

zenbot 12-14-2009 03:50 PM

The Bubble Bunch had the right idea.

http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/557_1.jpg
ZOLTAN!

toothyfish 12-14-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chain-addicted (Post 214947)
A snuggie? You mean that Cultish looking bath-robe thingy? Hilarious.

Yes, the Snuggie. Robe worn by the highest ranking of the Templar Disc Golfers...

Technohic 12-14-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toothyfish (Post 215024)
Yes, the Snuggie. Robe worn by the highest ranking of the Templar Disc Golfers...

LOL I read that earlier and, no joke, my mom texted me asking if the fiance or I got any of the kids "that hooded blanket with sleeves" and I chuckled and replied "NO"

She is thinking about it.

landon77 12-14-2009 04:31 PM

Any weather except blizzard and ice!!

Fleshgordon 12-14-2009 04:40 PM

lol ur kids would look like raver druids

billnchristy 12-14-2009 04:40 PM

A sunggie and a viking helmet would be the best.

I bet you would show up all over the internet if you golfed in that.

aarikc17 12-14-2009 04:52 PM

shammie (sp.) first to get most of the wetness off then towel you disc. Rain jacket with waterproof shoes and umbrella. Hats help too.