Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tournaments & Leagues (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mad City Open Changes (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131817)

Mocheez 07-30-2018 06:53 PM

I understand the frustration, Token and Birds are good courses but that's going to be a lot of prairie golf over the course of two days.

I can see the city's point of view as well. They can't rent out the shelters to anyone else during a big tourney so it is a potential loss of income. I am sure they have received complaints from disc golfers that paid for a yearly pass but get turned away from Heistand and Elver during MCO weekend.

JC17393 07-30-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocheez (Post 3336115)
I understand the frustration, Token and Birds are good courses but that's going to be a lot of prairie golf over the course of two days.

I can see the city's point of view as well. They can't rent out the shelters to anyone else during a big tourney so it is a potential loss of income. I am sure they have received complaints from disc golfers that paid for a yearly pass but get turned away from Heistand and Elver during MCO weekend.

I can definitely see the city's side, but I really hope they're not being persuaded by the pass holders like that. Such a pass entitles them to play the course when it is available and open to play without paying the daily fee...no more, no less. It doesn't give them ownership or free reign to do anything they want. And if we're talking one weekend a year where the course is shut down, they can just suck it up and either play somewhere else or not play at all for one weekend.

roggenb3 07-30-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocheez (Post 3336115)

Idk. At Elver I think they could still rent the shelters. There is more than enough parking and the shelters are a ways from the course. But yeah. I dont think its unreasonable for them to mandate that.

Now, I'm interpreting a bit, but this part

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3335840)
-There would be no guarantee for uninterrupted
play. Renting the courses will not give us exclusive
use of that terrain. If the general public show up
during the tournament wishing to use the terrain,
ultimately, we would have to allow it.

Screams exercisers to me. I am thinking the city said they cannot close the hill at Elver that tons of people walk/run on. I'd bet there were more than a few complaints from runners. They have said before that we must yield to them, not the other way (which is why they refused to put up signs warning people its a dg course).

I'm not frustrated about the paying for a day pass part...except that the city has shown 0 interest in actually enforcing pay to play. I play Elver daily and have been checked once over the last 2 years.

Glide 07-30-2018 11:31 PM

I am in the know and the tournament director conveniently left out some important information. There is another side to this story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3335838)
Well this is weak.

IMPORTANT CHANGES TO MAD CITY OPEN 2018

Hello, You are receiving this email because you are registered for MCO.

It is with great difficulty that we are announcing a drastic change to Mad City Open this year.

As an A-Tier, players are required to play 54 holes for the tournament. Everyone will now be playing one round of 27 holes on Saturday and one round of 27 holes on Sunday. The two courses used will be Bird's Ruins @ Charles Langer Family Park, and Vallarta-Ast @ Token Creek County Park. The new schedule and new pool assignments will be updated on DiscGolfScene.com

There may be some of you who feel this is not what MCO is meant to be and we don't disagree with you. However, the liability and extra expense introduced by the city is unprecedented. The parameters set forth by the City of Madison Parks Department no longer match the needs of this A-tier event. Therefore, Mad City Open will not be played at Hiestand or Elver this year.

There is still plenty to look forward to, and positive factors to keep in mind. Less traveling, more time for games and camaraderie while enjoying FREE beer from Ale Asylum & FREE dinner from Glass Nickel Pizza Co.

We ask for your patience and understanding as we do our best to make this event one to remember.

Sincerely,

Brian Peck

Tournament Director

roadtripstuff 07-31-2018 12:02 AM

Unfortunately I have been seeing this in many places across the country. Parks departments all over are requiring more insurance, more permits, and more fees across the board. While I somewhat understand why they have to do it, I think it will eventually lead to many parks not being able to be used for disc golf events, it's getting harder and harder for TDs to cover their costs without cutting into the player's bottom line as well. With more and more fees, more comes out of payouts, more complaining by players, and more TDs getting out of the game because of it.

I feel like at some point the number of events on private courses will outnumber those at public courses.

Consult20 07-31-2018 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glide (Post 3336179)
I am in the know and the tournament director conveniently left out some important information. There is another side to this story.

Which has caused most of the off base speculation in this thread.

What's it going to take to make the Mad City Open great again?

ru4por 07-31-2018 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3336144)
Screams exercisers to me. I am thinking the city said they cannot close the hill at Elver that tons of people walk/run on. I'd bet there were more than a few complaints from runners. They have said before that we must yield to them, not the other way (which is why they refused to put up signs warning people its a dg course).

As it should be.

Casey 1988 07-31-2018 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtripstuff (Post 3336187)
Unfortunately I have been seeing this in many places across the country. Parks departments all over are requiring more insurance, more permits, and more fees across the board. While I somewhat understand why they have to do it, I think it will eventually lead to many parks not being able to be used for disc golf events, it's getting harder and harder for TDs to cover their costs without cutting into the player's bottom line as well. With more and more fees, more comes out of payouts, more complaining by players, and more TDs getting out of the game because of it.

I feel like at some point the number of events on private courses will outnumber those at public courses.

How long before we see a Disc Golf only country club for the wealthy without a ball golf course in the property?

ElementZ 07-31-2018 09:46 AM

I've been saying it for years (since I moved here) but I'll say it again... How Madison handles their disc golf courses is silly. Requiring a permit to play in public parks is beyond me. The thought of having to get permits to play on playgrounds or on basketball courts is ridiculous, yet it's okay for disc golf? People can walk the courses for free, but as soon as you start throwing a Frisbee (God forbid), payment is required. It's nonsense.

I rolled my eyes when I saw that permits would be required for all tournament players. You would think that the tax revenue that out-of-town tournament players bring in through lodging, food, etc... would easily offset this fee. Oh well. Having a Madison City Open without actually playing any of the Madison courses will be a blast, right??

roggenb3 07-31-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glide (Post 3336179)

There always is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consult20 (Post 3336197)
Which has caused most of the off base speculation in this thread.

Well what should I do? Not speculate? Where's the fun in that?

I'm sure in time we will hear more of the whole story.