Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rules Questions & Discussion (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Competition ruling... (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133815)

araytx 04-03-2019 06:51 PM

Competition ruling...

Here's the scenario:

First Round of an event. They have two courses on the same property back-to-back. I am second on our hole when I look at the Scorepoint, and our scorecard and rules sheet is there. It is a full tourney with 5 players on each hole - shotgun start.

SO I head out to my starting hole (on the back course #15 -- way out there), so I can get a few warm-up tosses and putts. Several players warming up as there are a couple holes close to one another. When the two minute warning horn is sounded, only 4 of us head to the tee pad of #15. I tell the group, that I know I was second on the card, and each of the others also remembers where they were -- "fourth," "bottom," and "I know I wasn't first so I must have been third" was what else was said. Still only four when the start horn is blown, and I ask again. Everyone is sure of their position on the card, I suggest we keep score on the app and message HQ to let them know what's going on. Everyone agrees. Then we quickly discuss how to proceed from there.

We say to count out the 30 seconds, as the player who is top of card isn't here, and after 30 seconds, he's missed his turn and I will throw. Somebody counts it out, 30 seconds elapses and he's out. I line up, go through my routine and throw. As does #3, and #4. At which time we see another player coming down the fairway motioning us -- "hey, I went to the wrong course by mistake -- I have the card."

What would you DO? [NOTE: this is not hypothetical.]

Sethamphetamine 04-03-2019 07:06 PM

Let it go, let the guy take BOB

JC17393 04-03-2019 07:51 PM

Par + 4 for the late player. 811.F.5 is pretty clear about it. Sucks but his time expired and his turn on the tee was lost.

teemkey 04-03-2019 08:39 PM

In the big picture, a player's position on the first round card is arbitrary; hence I'd give the guy a break.

Specifically, did you know the player? Were you certain he was present and familiar with the course? If, for some reason, the first listed player was not present, then wouldn't the responsibility for picking up the card fall to the 2nd player?

Back to the big picture, it's really unfair that the other players can take off before the cards are distributed and get in more practice throws/putts than the player listed first -- particularly those on the most distant holes.

krupicka 04-03-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teemkey (Post 3436675)
If, for some reason, the first listed player was not present, then wouldn't the responsibility for picking up the card fall to the 2nd player?

No. Players look at the scoreboard, note they are not first and then walk out to the hole. They are not responsible to stick around tournament central waiting to see if player #1 gets the card.

teemkey 04-04-2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupicka (Post 3436677)
No. Players look at the scoreboard, note they are not first and then walk out to the hole. They are not responsible to stick around tournament central waiting to see if player #1 gets the card.

I've played in several tournaments where players in my group didn't show for the 1st hole. Just random what position a name is on the card -- isn't it?

You'd think day of registration would take care of the problem (maybe not you), and it's unclear why they were on the card and not present. Might be night before registration, an emergency phone call, twisting an ankle on the way out ...

JoakimBL 04-04-2019 03:34 AM

Correct according to rule book is par +4 for the first hole, and then he plays from next hole.
However, you asked what I would do, not what the rules say, so s long as the group hasn't left the tee, I would probably let him play and let it be up to the TD to decide in the end. And I f I was the TD, I would rule with the rulebook, if it was just this one player not paying attention.

biscoe 04-04-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 3436659)
Par + 4 for the late player. 811.F.5 is pretty clear about it. Sucks but his time expired and his turn on the tee was lost.

yep... cut and dried.

Karl 04-04-2019 07:27 AM

If it's a PDGA sanctioned event (OP didn't specify), what JC said. If not, but the TD said (during the player's meeting) 'we are playing by PDGA rules' or some such, ditto. If neither the above, then probably what Joakim said.

Horsman 04-04-2019 08:03 AM

It sucks for the player but you have to follow the rules, if you dont then where do you draw the line of what rules you do and dont want to follow.