Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Official Ask Discmania Thread (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103883)

soothsayer 06-13-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wims (Post 3728008)
I seriously doubt that Discmania will drop the Original line. I'm guessing the announcement is about when they are estimating getting originals back in production

We can dream...

pjhayes7 06-13-2021 08:40 PM

If i had to guess, and that is all any of us are really doing, Innova owns the molds and just gives Discmania "exclusive use" of the mold piece combinations used to make the Originals. But of course there is the speculation that there are several non Discmania molds that are the exact same as the P2. Either way, if i had to bet, the announcement will probably be a halt in production for the rest of the year or so.

Although i would not put it past Innova, especially if they own the molds, that they are dissolving the relationship and will then begin molding the most popular as special releases to be sold kind of like the tour series discs.

Ultimately, this all depends on the contracts between the two companies and how strong one side is compared to the other.

sandelius 06-14-2021 02:32 AM

I believe Discmania drops Originals line. Discmania has non-disc golfer board members. They don't care if some die hard fans don't get to throw Originals molds. They care if one of the three manufacturers does not cooperate.

wolfhaley 06-14-2021 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandelius (Post 3728095)
I believe Discmania drops Originals line. Discmania has non-disc golfer board members. They don't care if some die hard fans don't get to throw Originals molds. They care if one of the three manufacturers does not cooperate.

That's what it's looking like to me too. Not by their choice though. Westside is still a thing because of the "Trilogy" moniker, but they've done nothing to really keep that ship afloat. Discmania is a huge draw. It just feels like a Lat 64/Discmania merger is in the offing. If you can't beat em, join em.

Jolt 06-14-2021 03:50 AM

Who owns Lat64? and how own Discmania?

Rol6566 06-14-2021 06:31 AM

Newest post per Jussi on Facebook

"I have got a massive amount of questions and comments about Discmania Originals from our fans. Many of them are about molds and rights. To clarify:
Innova owns all molds and mold parts that are used to make Discmania Originals. They control that. Discmania own all their disc names."

Jolt 06-14-2021 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rol6566 (Post 3728104)
Newest post per Jussi on Facebook

"I have got a massive amount of questions and comments about Discmania Originals from our fans. Many of them are about molds and rights. To clarify:
Innova owns all molds and mold parts that are used to make Discmania Originals. They control that. Discmania own all their disc names."

So does that mean that Dismania can have Lat64 make a new mold part and make the "Originals"?
If Discmania owns the name FD2 then they could just let Lat64 make a disc and then call it "FD2"

"New Originals" - - like "new Coke", and we know how that worked out. . .

soothsayer 06-14-2021 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rol6566 (Post 3728104)
Newest post per Jussi on Facebook

"I have got a massive amount of questions and comments about Discmania Originals from our fans. Many of them are about molds and rights. To clarify:
Innova owns all molds and mold parts that are used to make Discmania Originals. They control that. Discmania own all their disc names."

Its looking more and more like the Originals are going away... I wonder if Infinite will just start ordering all the Originals and give them different names? I would LOVE that, especially since Infinite runs all their discs in awesome plastics on a regular basis, instead of just once in a while getting some color glow discs or some metal flakes. Being able to get Color Glow "MD3"s for less than 150$ would be a nice change lol.

VictorB 06-14-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3728106)
So does that mean that Dismania can have Lat64 make a new mold part and make the "Originals"?
If Discmania owns the name FD2 then they could just let Lat64 make a disc and then call it "FD2"

"New Originals" - - like "new Coke", and we know how that worked out. . .

Sure, if they re-submit the new mold for approval. Nothing stopping them from changing what an FD2 is.


I feel like DM/Jussi really f'd this whole thing up. Years ago they could have re-invested in their company and infrastructure and figured out a way to procure the Innova owned molds to press their own discs. Now, they're left with begging for the scraps of time that other companies can afford to give them during the biggest disc golf boon the sport has ever seen. I think that they took a shortcut and it's going to kill their business in the end, especially if they discontinue the originals line. Would Simon and Eagle even stay on board if they can't get the discs they need? Their best discs are basically entirely from the originals line, not to mention all of their signature discs.

For a company that is relatively the same age, look at what MVP has done by reinvesting into their own company. I think that if Discmania had made that decision years ago to press their own discs, they could have enjoyed the same success that MVP has

soothsayer 06-14-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorB (Post 3728115)
Sure, if they re-submit the new mold for approval. Nothing stopping them from changing what an FD2 is.


I feel like DM/Jussi really f'd this whole thing up. Years ago they could have re-invested in their company and infrastructure and figured out a way to procure the Innova owned molds to press their own discs. Now, they're left with begging for the scraps of time that other companies can afford to give them during the biggest disc golf boon the sport has ever seen. I think that they took a shortcut and it's going to kill their business in the end, especially if they discontinue the originals line. Would Simon and Eagle even stay on board if they can't get the discs they need? Their best discs are basically entirely from the originals line, not to mention all of their signature discs.

For a company that is relatively the same age, look at what MVP has done by reinvesting into their own company. I think that if Discmania had made that decision years ago to press their own discs, they could have enjoyed the same success that MVP has


Agreed. Also, I wonder how much Simon and Eagle have missed out on disc sales compared to other pros. For example, the Innova tour series has been pumping out discs for the champion and star teams pretty much all year and those things basically all sell out, every time. The best Discmania could do was put some extra stamps on some Evo line discs for Eagle winning Pro Tour events, or sell some leftover Tilts when EAGLE won the LVC. I understand their loyalty of course, but these are two of the most marketable pros in the game, and signature/tour series discs would INSTANTLY sell out for them every time. They are for sure losing money by not having their discs available all the time (or even AT ALL).

I think one of the reasons they decided to start pumping out overstable discs in the Evo line is so Eagle can actually bag the molds (Splice, Mutant, Razor Claw 2). And making a P2-alike disc in the Logic. I wonder what will happen when they can't throw the DD3/Cloudbreakers anymore or putt with P2s...

Of course, this is all pure speculation at this point, but its looking more and more likely.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.