Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brodie Smith PDGA #128378 (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135632)

ChrisWoj 06-21-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3730078)
We can't have golf, golf was here first.

Why do feathery golf competitions call themselves by that phrasing? Why isn't modern golf referred to as resin golf? Golf using feathery balls came first.

Resin golf can't have golf, golf was here first.



.... granted I can only still find a feathery challenge of any kind here: https://www.hickorychampionship.org/application-3/

So... lol.

ejvogie 06-21-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3730106)
Why do feathery golf competitions call themselves by that phrasing? Why isn't modern golf referred to as resin golf? Golf using feathery balls came first.

Resin golf can't have golf, golf was here first.



.... granted I can only still find a feathery challenge of any kind here: https://www.hickorychampionship.org/application-3/

So... lol.

I know where to get some wooden Woods, just need the skill to be able to use them...

EllEstar 06-21-2021 12:33 PM

Everyone in my country calls it folf, I don't know when or why we dropped the r.

Nick Pacific 06-22-2021 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3730078)
We can't have golf, golf was here first.

Nope. Disc sports have been around much, much longer than anything ball golf related has been.

"The discus was introduced as part of the pentathlon in the Ancient Olympics of 708BC (the first Olympics were held in 776BC). The enduring image of the Greek discus thrower comes from the iconic 5th century BC statue by the great sculptor Myron"

We were here first, and we will be here last.

autocrosscrx 06-22-2021 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pacific (Post 3730510)
Nope. Disc sports have been around much, much longer than anything ball golf related has been.

"The discus was introduced as part of the pentathlon in the Ancient Olympics of 708BC (the first Olympics were held in 776BC). The enduring image of the Greek discus thrower comes from the iconic 5th century BC statue by the great sculptor Myron"

We were here first, and we will be here last.

Well then they messed up by not claiming the word golf.

BruisedOoze 06-22-2021 10:24 AM

The table tennis and tennis comparison is interesting, but I'm curious as to what would've happened if the largest table tennis playing countries, namely China, also spoke English as a first language. Would they have shifted to the use of just tennis to describe table tennis and call the other court tennis?

On the surface it may sound silly, but look what happens colloquially with the word hockey. Sure, internationally it generally refers to hockey in a field, but in places where ice hockey is popular ice is dropped and you call the other field hockey.

Ess-dog 06-22-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruisedOoze (Post 3730600)
The table tennis and tennis comparison is interesting, but I'm curious as to what would've happened if the largest table tennis playing countries, namely China, also spoke English as a first language. Would they have shifted to the use of just tennis to describe table tennis and call the other court tennis?

On the surface it may sound silly, but look what happens colloquially with the word hockey. Sure, internationally it generally refers to hockey in a field, but in places where ice hockey is popular ice is dropped and you call the other field hockey.

What if Foosball was called Baby Foot?

BruisedOoze 06-22-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ess-dog (Post 3730718)
What if Foosball was called Baby Foot?

If that makes it into whatever imaginary horror film I make, I'll be sure to give you a writing credit.

ChrisWoj 06-22-2021 04:20 PM

Brodie supposedly paid $1K to reserve the Mulligans driving range for disc golfers.

Was there nowhere else for them to throw? Good for him, definitely sure people appreciate it.

_MTL_ 06-22-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3730795)
Brodie supposedly paid $1K to reserve the Mulligans driving range for disc golfers.

Was there nowhere else for them to throw? Good for him, definitely sure people appreciate it.

I wonder if the people who teed before he did this that didn't get the chance to use it or the people who are in the B pool competing against him tomorrow that won't get the chance to appreciate it?

biscoe 06-22-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _MTL_ (Post 3730804)
I wonder if the people who teed before he did this that didn't get the chance to use it or the people who are in the B pool competing against him tomorrow that won't get the chance to appreciate it?

Not his fault/problem whether they do or not. Also pretty sure there is no B pool.

txmxer 06-22-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _MTL_ (Post 3730804)
I wonder if the people who teed before he did this that didn't get the chance to use it or the people who are in the B pool competing against him tomorrow that won't get the chance to appreciate it?

Brodie did something that was beneficial to others.

MTL: he didn’t help starving children in Ethiopia though,.

_MTL_ 06-22-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3730810)
Not his fault/problem whether they do or not. Also pretty sure there is no B pool.

There is a B pool.

Horsman 06-22-2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3730810)
Not his fault/problem whether they do or not. Also pretty sure there is no B pool.

PDGA site has there being an A and a B pool, A pool playing Mulligans and B pool playing the Fort

biscoe 06-22-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsman (Post 3730813)
PDGA site has there being an A and a B pool, A pool playing Mulligans and B pool playing the Fort

Oops- thought I read somewhere they scrapped it. Carry on.

Horsman 06-22-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3730814)
Oops- thought I read somewhere they scrapped it. Carry on.

Yea, on uDisc for the MPO. If you click the fort for round 2 it shows the B pool scores

Horsman 06-22-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3730795)
Brodie supposedly paid $1K to reserve the Mulligans driving range for disc golfers.

Was there nowhere else for them to throw? Good for him, definitely sure people appreciate it.

Paige just said on air that Brodie rented it out and that she was happy to have that tomorrow for practice.

BuiltTooLong 06-22-2021 05:13 PM

Paige just thanked Brody in her after round interview for renting the driving range, and her being able to warm up properly tomorrow. So it appears it's rented for the weekend.

Also she mentioned being frustrated that there was no warmup space to watch your disc fly at The Fort and only nets. So basically neither course had a planned open space to fully warm up.

biscoe 06-22-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsman (Post 3730821)
Paige just said on air that Brodie rented it out and that she was happy to have that tomorrow for practice.

A grand for the week is a pretty good deal. With 2 years to get ready you would think this would have been taken care of already.

Dcinmd 06-22-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong (Post 3730822)
Also she mentioned being frustrated that there was no warmup space to watch your disc fly at The Fort and only nets. So basically neither course had a planned open space to fully warm up.

Boo Hoo, there are two baseball fields less than a half mile away.

Other wise how do you proposed they provide a open space in a wooded park?

ChrisWoj 06-22-2021 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3730811)
Brodie did something that was beneficial to others.

MTL: he didn’t help starving children in Ethiopia though,.

Ethiopia? Been hearing that since I was knee high to a grasshopper. At least go with a top 15 hungry nation.

BuiltTooLong 06-22-2021 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcinmd (Post 3730830)
Boo Hoo, there are two baseball fields less than a half mile away.

Other wise how do you proposed they provide a open space in a wooded park?

I can't really support her PDGA bashing, just relaying her message. Seems like if all the players had to deal with limited warmup space, its equal, and if any of them were smart enough to find one of those fields, more power to them.

txmxer 06-22-2021 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3730839)
Ethiopia? Been hearing that since I was knee high to a grasshopper. At least go with a top 15 hungry nation.

Hungry kids are hungry kids regardless of location.

Irrelevant to the point that MTL finds a straw man negative to Brodie’s action.

txmxer 06-22-2021 05:54 PM

Yeah, it’s ridiculous to think that the premier event in disc golf would provide players with something as nebulous as a place to warmup before their round.

DinosaurThunder 06-22-2021 06:02 PM

Nice action on his end to rent the facility. I do find it slightly humorous he also felt the need to tweet that he rented it out with the price. Versus just letting the news of this action organically spread around and let others/his sponsors praise the good deed.

aredoubles 06-22-2021 06:17 PM

PDGA claims that the driving range actually was available for players to practice on all along.

https://twitter.com/pdga_dvo/status/1407409709737385984

Seems like there was miscommunication somewhere along the line.

Rastnav 06-22-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aredoubles (Post 3730851)
PDGA claims that the driving range actually was available for players to practice on all along.

https://twitter.com/pdga_dvo/status/1407409709737385984

Seems like there was miscommunication somewhere along the line.

They rented HALF of the range? I can’t think what could possibly go wrong with that. Either I’m completely misunderstanding what’s in that picture, or that’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Jimb 06-22-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aredoubles (Post 3730851)
PDGA claims that the driving range actually was available for players to practice on all along.

https://twitter.com/pdga_dvo/status/1407409709737385984

Seems like there was miscommunication somewhere along the line.

One message says Half of the driving range was already reserved for disc golf. So if the other half was open to golfers, how were the disc golfers supposed to retrieve their discs safely?

This may have already been sorted out ahead of time. But I wouldn't want to walk onto Half of a driving range to retrieve my discs.

ChrisWoj 06-22-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3730845)
Hungry kids are hungry kids regardless of location.

Irrelevant to the point that MTL finds a straw man negative to Brodie’s action.

Your face is a straw man negative to Brodie's action.

Seriously tho... In Iverson tone... We talkin about disc golf?

Muddyboots 06-22-2021 07:45 PM

There was no driving range warm up area @ Smuggs in 18. Just nets. It was fine. The entitlement grows by the day with that crowd.

Hampstead 06-22-2021 08:04 PM

As the sport gets bigger, Worlds seems to shrink. Interesting.

ReinZ_96 06-22-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddyboots (Post 3730881)
There was no driving range warm up area @ Smuggs in 18. Just nets. It was fine. The entitlement grows by the day with that crowd.

And there was nets at Mulligans, and there are nets at The Fort, for warmups. I vastly prefer warming up into a net because you can get way more throws off and get up to speed quicker. I'm very very far from being a pro and I can still easily tell when throwing into a net from 20 feet away if my throw is off/needs adjusting or not, I can't imagine any pro who can't do the same. I fail to see the controversy here, seems completely unnecessary and/or manufactured for attention.

ChrisWoj 06-22-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReinZ_96 (Post 3730912)
And there was nets at Mulligans, and there are nets at The Fort, for warmups. I vastly prefer warming up into a net because you can get way more throws off and get up to speed quicker. I'm very very far from being a pro and I can still easily tell when throwing into a net from 20 feet away if my throw is off/needs adjusting or not, I can't imagine any pro who can't do the same. I fail to see the controversy here, seems completely unnecessary and/or manufactured for attention.

I don't think you can.

BruisedOoze 06-22-2021 10:57 PM

Given all the talk about having to adjust to altitude and changes in disc flight, they probably want the driving range to become comfortable with changes in their discs' flight. Just guessing.

ChrisWoj 06-22-2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruisedOoze (Post 3730917)
Given all the talk about having to adjust to altitude and changes in disc flight, they probably want the driving range to become comfortable with changes in their discs' flight. Just guessing.

You can guess all you want at how your feel translates into a net 25-50' away. But until you see it - you're just guessing. You need to know what, in the current conditions, your disc is doing all the way to the ground.

I can bring myself to the exact hand feel I want on a net, but if I'm playing in varying conditions I VERY MUCH prefer being able to get a handle on how it translates to a full flight path on any given day. Even if you've been in town for the Utah Open you still have some variety every single day. And let's keep in mind: at their level it is a FULL SPRINT. You can't leave a single easy birdie out there if you want a world title.

Going into a round as off as most of us feel when we are on is not good enough.

dehaas 06-22-2021 11:43 PM

Dude I think he’s agreeing with you?

The “guess” at why they wanted a driving range as opposed to nets was because he’s probably never played at elevation and isn’t sure how much of a difference it makes.

And so everybody is clear, I’m agreeing with you, who I think is actually agreeing with him.

But yeah…worlds where pros need flippier stuff…interesting…

ChrisWoj 06-23-2021 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dehaas (Post 3730925)
Dude I think he’s agreeing with you?

The “guess” at why they wanted a driving range as opposed to nets was because he’s probably never played at elevation and isn’t sure how much of a difference it makes.

And so everybody is clear, I’m agreeing with you, who I think is actually agreeing with him.

But yeah…worlds where pros need flippier stuff…interesting…

You can respond to AND agree with people on the innerweb.

rhatton1 06-23-2021 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3730512)
Well then they messed up by not claiming the word golf.

Golf comes from the Old Dutch word for Club, Kolf/Kolve.

Would have been a weird word to steal for Discus.

Flick Maniac 06-23-2021 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3730811)
Brodie did something that was beneficial to others.

MTL: he didn’t help starving children in Ethiopia though,.

Theres a saying in Finnish that goes "You put out the fire wrong." :D<3

ReinZ_96 06-23-2021 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3730915)
I don't think you can.

I 100% can feel when I'm off, and it's usually the same couple things I get lazy about. But it's fundamental things, not super minute details of the throw that the pros are most likely focusing on. So, I can definitely understand how being better could make diagnosing issues more difficult now that I think about it a little more.

---

Your other replies you do bring up good points that I didn't think of, though. I definitely didn't think about how much more precise pros are with their shots when making my post before and how you can't do that as well into a net. When I warm up I trying to hit a line, I'm not focusing super much on angles and definitely not focusing on controlling angles during the mid or late flight into the landing since I can hardly even do that on a good day anyway. Pros obviously need to focus on those minute details to warmup properly and you can't do that into a net, as you pointed out, especially at elevation where discs fly much differently than most people are used to.

So, when thinking about it I can see the frustration with the driving range at Mulligans. But what exactly are they supposed to do for a range big enough to throw full shots at The Fort? There just doesn't seem like there's space in any at all convenient place. If a warmup area with a 600+ foot driving range is to made a requirement for majors/worlds in the future I'm not going to say there shouldn't be, but there are definitely world class courses where that is just simply not a possibility including many that the tour already plays every year.

I can't imagine that places like WACO, Dela, Iron Hill, or even Jonesboro, when looking at the property they sit on, among others have enough space for a range big enough for pros to warm up full shots. If I am incorrect, please tell me, but if I'm not why has this only become a problem now if it's such a major issue to not have a driving range available. Or is it specifically just the fact that they are at elevation that makes this course different?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.