Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Judge vs. Whale vs. BB Aviar (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133873)

Tolexi 04-10-2019 09:07 AM

Judge vs. Whale vs. BB Aviar

I throw judges (lucid, fuzion) a lot but they beat in pretty fast (they dont stay in a sweet spot for a long time) and they glide too much as well. I overthrow most of my upshots. How do whale or BB aviars compare to judge? I know they feel bigger in the hand, but how about flight wise? I like to throw every disc with BH and FH.

P1X | Judge | Harp | Roc/3/x3 | FD | TeeBird | PD | Destroyer | DD2

VictorB 04-10-2019 09:12 AM

Both are a little more overstable than a judge, but still fairly glidey.

If you're overthrowing your upshots, maybe just practice in the field more and learn to range the disc appropriately. Sounds like you're having more of an issue of speed control than the disc being "too glidey". JMHO

SD86 04-10-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolexi (Post 3439326)
I throw judges (lucid, fuzion) a lot but they beat in pretty fast (they dont stay in a sweet spot for a long time) and they glide too much as well. I overthrow most of my upshots. How do whale or BB aviars compare to judge? I know they feel bigger in the hand, but how about flight wise? I like to throw every disc with BH and FH.

BB Aviars will be a bit more overstable. The Whale, being a V-tech disc, isn't as overstable as the BB Aviar, but might be more (over)stable than the Judge fresh out of the box.

If the glide of the Judge is your problem, there are a number of good putters out there that might do a better job for you. The Luna is one, the Envy or Proxy is another. And yes, I'm actually going to suggest the WIZARD as something to try.

fishballer06 04-10-2019 10:03 AM

I see you list a P1X in your sig. I'm curious, have you thrown that around much? The Whale is pretty similar to it from what my memory recalls, and it's offered in some premium plastics as well.

lines 04-10-2019 11:24 AM

+1 for the Wizard. They come in a variety of flavors. I would suggest grabbing a couple SS/SSSs as a starting point. I used judges prior to Wizards and had similar feelings about them. I will go back to Judges every so often to remind me how much I love Wizards.

tbird888 04-10-2019 11:47 AM

Aviars float a long ways. Wizards are definitely more appropriate for what you seem to want.

Tolexi 04-10-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishballer06 (Post 3439348)
I see you list a P1X in your sig. I'm curious, have you thrown that around much? The Whale is pretty similar to it from what my memory recalls, and it's offered in some premium plastics as well.

P1X is nice but little bit too understable for a main throwing putter. I have tried only Dlines though.

P1X | Judge | Harp | Roc/3/x3 | FD | TeeBird | PD | Destroyer | DD2

Mocheez 04-10-2019 12:39 PM

Wizards are the Judge's big brother... deeper and more stable out of the box but similar profile and flight.

I am still waiting for an Opto-X Judge.

fishballer06 04-10-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolexi (Post 3439413)
P1X is nice but little bit too understable for a main throwing putter. I have tried only Dlines though.

Try to snag the heaviest X line P1X you can find. They're a bit more stable in that plastic.

Streets 04-10-2019 12:52 PM

Q: Judge v. Whale v. BB Aviar?

A: Wizard