Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Course Design (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Executing The Dream (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58060)

InnocentCrook 02-07-2014 06:00 PM

Been keeping my eye on property in this area for a few years now and we may have found it. 37 acres, only about a 15 minute drive from Idlewild. It's a large plot on top of a ridge. 5 to 6 acres cleared, the rest is wooded. Rolling to steep hills everywhere and a small pond. I've walked a good portion of the property but there's still quite a bit I haven't seen. Need to get out there one more time at least.

We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks.

DavidSauls 02-08-2014 08:36 AM

A thread full of useful information

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...light=mistakes

InnocentCrook 02-08-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 2347303)
A thread full of useful information

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...light=mistakes

Read the whole thing yesterday. :)

DavidSauls 02-08-2014 10:49 AM

Well, nevermind.......

That sounds like a superb property for a disc golf course. Hope it works out.

Sidebar story: In our search for property that led us to what would become Stoney Hill, we found several excellent parcels. We went as far as designing a few holes and thinking of course names while we were still in the "looking" process. We decided to buy, only to find that several of them had sold days before we pulled the trigger---in one case, a few hours before---after being on the market for as long as 2 1/2 years. When we found the property that is now Stoney Hill, we jumped at it, having learned our lesson.

InnocentCrook 02-08-2014 12:33 PM

This place is such a great resource.

My concern at the moment is that I've only seen the property in the winter and I don't really know how dense the woods will be come spring. That said I fear if we try to wait until then the parcel may get sold out from under us. The trees are all pretty good size and there's a once acre section that is nothing but 80-100' pines of some sort, dead straight and beautiful. Great spot for a camp site and a spot I'd definitely have a couple baskets and maybe a tee pad.

Lots to consider.

JC17393 02-08-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnocentCrook (Post 2347421)
This place is such a great resource.

My concern at the moment is that I've only seen the property in the winter and I don't really know how dense the woods will be come spring. That said I fear if we try to wait until then the parcel may get sold out from under us. The trees are all pretty good size and there's a once acre section that is nothing but 80-100' pines of some sort, dead straight and beautiful. Great spot for a camp site and a spot I'd definitely have a couple baskets and maybe a tee pad.

Lots to consider.

The thing about the woods in winter is that it is probably a lot easier to see the potential for fairways without the foliage and undergrowth obscuring your view. Dense woods can be thinned if necessary, undergrowth cut. I'm not sure that should be a deterrent if you think the property has the potential otherwise.

The larger concern I'd have given the time of year is drainage, IMO. It's hard to tell now where your wet areas will be in the spring. Since you describe the parcel as having hills and a pond already, there could be potential for other areas for water to collect. It would really suck to envision some great holes and buy the property with those in mind only to have the area turn out to be swampy for 3-4 months of the year. On the other hand, if you're buying now and you're going to jump right into laying out a course, you'll be doing it in the spring when those types of things will be evident and you can design around them.

Guess what you do is going to be determined by how "ready-made" you want the property to be before you buy it. Every property has potential for a really good course on it...some just take a bit more work to draw that course out than others. Good luck.

Menacewarf 02-08-2014 01:36 PM

I definitely agree with all of the above and also which you good luck.

My gut would say that at 37 acres, and just by trying to visualize the wet or potentially wet areas you should have a decent amount of options particularly if the area is somewhat hilly and has decent sized trees. Many trees don't like to grow big with wet feet. For example if the whole area is red maples I would be concerned because red maples don't mind wet soil. Sugar maples on the other hand would be a good indication as they don't like wet roots. There are other species you can look up that will be good indicators if you don't have those. I would also try to get a feel for what the dominant soil types are if you are concerned with drainage. Obviously sandy is good and clay is bad.

Sounds potentially awesome though and best wishes!

DavidSauls 02-08-2014 05:33 PM

Just a wild guess, but if it's on top of a ridge there's probably not too much issue with wet areas. And, obviously, sloped ground isn't susceptible to holding water, so you don't have to worry there, either.

InnocentCrook 02-08-2014 06:38 PM

The county where the property resides has an excellent GIS site that I've used for years complete with 2012 aerial photos and topo overlays. I'll load a couple photos as soon as I get on my laptop.

I work in the homebuilding industry here so I'm pretty familiar with the local soils, most of which are predominantly clay once you get down past a couple feet.

I don't foresee drainage being an issue as most areas are sloped to some extent and should shed water pretty well.

BogeyNoMore 02-08-2014 06:52 PM

Good luck IC! I hope to visit your course one day as when I visit the area again.