Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Course Design (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Executing The Dream (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58060)

goosefraba1 05-19-2014 11:47 AM

I would settle for a new 4.5 star course :) Very happy for you!

InnocentCrook 05-19-2014 12:21 PM

Thanks guys. Can't tell you how excited we are to have found the place. Now I just want to get finished moving in and get settled so I can really start exploring and thinking up some layouts.

InnocentCrook 05-21-2014 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A picture and a question or two.

I'm liking the looks of this for a hole on the first course. Maybe the first hole because of the proximity to parking. Take down a tree or two to open a 15' lane out of the woods. Tuck the basket into some woods on the other side of the dam. Total length around 310-330'. Clear the water at 200-225'.

As you can see, my pond is fairly murky. What can I do to clear this up. I think it just happens to collect a lot of runoff from the surrounding hillsides. If I treat the pond will the murkiness come right back after the next big storm?

InnocentCrook 05-21-2014 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my power line easement. Where the trees stop on the far, uphill side is my property line.

Should be some good options for a hole or two by utilizing this space. Could be challenging to maintain though considering the topography.

DavidSauls 05-21-2014 10:39 AM

It depends on whether the murkiness is from mud, or algae. As best I've learned, planktonic algae is microscopic and gives the water a brownish or greenish tinge.

If mud, you're stuck; if algae, there are treatments you can use. Some algae is good and necessary, as it's the bottom of the food chain. There is a standard to tell when there is too much; I think it's that you should be able to see a white object at a depth of 2'.

Algacides must be treated with care, both in the application (dangerous to you) and overuse (bad for the pond). I haven't tried the blue dying agents, which basically block some sunlight and thus kill off the growth.

This year we've foregone spraying our pond, and the visibility is about 4 inches. We usually spray to kill the spongy floating algae, with the planktonic algae as a side benefit, but didn't need to for a change.

Taking all of that with a grain of salt---it's what I've picked up in trying to deal with our pond. It's probably mostly accurate, but check for yourself.

In the meantime, if it's mud---which we get after a heavy rain, too---it should settle in a few days or a week.

InnocentCrook 05-21-2014 11:51 AM

I guess it's not mud then because it's always that color. I'll look into algae stuff. Thanks!

InnocentCrook 05-22-2014 11:36 PM

Tractors are awesome tools. Finally came in Tuesday night. 24.5 HP sub compact, 4' front end loader, and a 5' pull behind finish mower. First time I ever sat on one was Saturday morning while I was shopping and test driving. They were intimidating at first but actually very easy to operate.

I've spent about 3 hours on the thing over two evenings, mowing the almost knee high grass which got out of hand fast. It's a slow go in low gear but that's the only option with grass this tall. I'm maybe half way done at this point. I'll have to spend some time Saturday mowing just to finish up and by that time it will almost time to start again. The next cut should go much faster with grass at a normal height. I'm realizing that I'm also gonna need a regular old lawn tractor as well for some of the tighter areas. I'm gonna have to scour Craig's list for a deal on a cheap crafsman our something.

I wouldn't recommend buying property like this unless you really like grounds care and landscaping.

The good news is that a nice slow pace on the tractor is great for scoping out possible holes. Found a couple interesting angles I hadn't yet considered. Enzy is coming down Tuesday evening and we're gonna start play testing some of these possible open holes that wind around the drive, the ponds, and some of the little nooks into the woods. Everything is getting pretty dense at this point. A couple machetes are on the way.

DavidSauls 05-22-2014 11:45 PM

Yeah, just remember that the tractor wins the battle with just about anything, especially if you're careless.

InnocentCrook 05-23-2014 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A different angle to attack the pond. A little more elevation change from this direction.

Note to self: Buy a large amount of surveyors tape.

Timeetyo 05-23-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnocentCrook (Post 2463803)
A different angle to attack the pond. A little more elevation change from this direction.

Note to self: Buy a large amount of surveyors tape.

Ok that looks awesome from there. How much elevation drop to the pond? How far to clear it from there?

Even though i probably don't have the arm for that shot i want to give it a try.