Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Course Design (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Executing The Dream (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58060)

namar 05-23-2014 11:21 AM

so much potential with this land, my insanely jealous congratulations to you! Between the pond and all the open and wooded areas I think the sky's the limit on hole variety.

markmcc 05-23-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnocentCrook (Post 2461693)
A picture and a question or two.

As you can see, my pond is fairly murky. What can I do to clear this up. I think it just happens to collect a lot of runoff from the surrounding hillsides. If I treat the pond will the murkiness come right back after the next big storm?

About thirty-five years ago I bought a piece of property with a pond that was murky with suspended sediment and never cleared. There was very fine clay (colloidal clay) suspended that would not settle out.

The advice I got was to add organic material to the pond. It causes the tiny clay particles to clump up and fall out of suspension. What I ended up doing was buying spoiled hay from the area ranchers. That is hay that had gotten wet or was just old and wasn't worth much as feed. Bust the bails open and throw the hay out into the water. It will float for a day or two and finally sink. I used about ten square bails on a 1/2 acre pond. You may be able to just throw grass clippings in there, since it looks like you'll have plenty!

After a few weeks the water began to clear. I think that I may have added hay one more time, but once the water is clear and you've got that organic material in there, stock it with some fish and let mother nature take over with the "organics".

I owned that place for thirty years and the pond stayed crystal clear the entire time.

Mark

InnocentCrook 05-23-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmcc (Post 2463883)

The advice I got was to add organic material to the pond. It causes the tiny clay particles to clump up and fall out of suspension. What I ended up doing was buying spoiled hay from the area ranchers. That is hay that had gotten wet or was just old and wasn't worth much as feed. Bust the bails open and throw the hay out into the water. It will float for a day or two and finally sink. I used about ten square bails on a 1/2 acre pond. You may be able to just throw grass clippings in there, since it looks like you'll have plenty!

Mark

The previous owner has already stocked the pond with blue gill, bass, catfish, and some grass carp.

Thanks for the insights, I'll have to look into the pond a little bit later on when I have more time. Right now I just need to get caught up on the mowing.

InnocentCrook 05-23-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeetyo (Post 2463846)
Ok that looks awesome from there. How much elevation drop to the pond? How far to clear it from there?

Even though i probably don't have the arm for that shot i want to give it a try.

Based on the topos that I have the drop is about 30' or so to the pond. The pin would likely be up on the hill a little ways so the drop from potential tee to pin would likely be closer to 20'. Distance appears to be 275-300 give or take.

InnocentCrook 05-26-2014 11:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Did a liitle exploring this weekend. The northern creek has some serious potential. There's a rough tractor trail from the east field to the north creek and field. It needs some clearing and some ground work to get it back in shape but it's still walkable (carefully). The north field is very brushy with some small scatteted eastern red cedars sprouting up a couple feet.

I'm gonna have to decide if I want to do one big course or two 18's. The way the land lays I think I could have two very distinct 18's. Pondside (areas around the drive, ponds, power line easement, and the woods (a lot of cedars) between) and a Creekside (northern field, creek areas, and surrounding woods (predominantly hardwoods).

Played around with a few baskets down around the camp and the drive this weekend. There's already plenty cleared, it's just a matter of finding the best natural lines and connecting some quality/fun holes with flow.

It's only made it more difficult because I still have a lot to do on the barn/house to get it where we need and I just want to get out and really explore. A lack of interior rooms(only the bath/laundry is fully closed off) coupled with a 6 month old make for some challenging times. I need to expand out into the unfinished side of the barn to make an additional bedroom and closet, plus close off the current bedroom space. I've already installed a microwave/hood and now I have to add a dishwasher as well. Good thing I'm handy, it just takes time.

This is gonna take a while.

InnocentCrook 05-27-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnocentCrook (Post 2466238)
scatteted

Scattered. :doh:

Phone typing...

mattc 05-27-2014 08:38 AM

Looks like your head is about to explode (for good reasons) nice problem to have.

DavidSauls 05-27-2014 09:07 AM

Jeez. I wish I lived closer, and could stomp around that land with you. (But not have to do any of the work).

Certainly not telling you what to do, but you might consider just one course. Besides the workload, one course means you can use (1) the very best parts of the pondside, (2) the very best parts of the creekside, and (3) the very best parts of the woods. And, have remarkable variety in one course.

giles 05-27-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 2466420)
Jeez. I wish I lived closer, and could stomp around that land with you. (But not have to do any of the work).

Certainly not telling you what to do, but you might consider just one course. Besides the workload, one course means you can use (1) the very best parts of the pondside, (2) the very best parts of the creekside, and (3) the very best parts of the woods. And, have remarkable variety in one course.

The workload is the biggest Plus, only needing to maintain 18 holes. I've realized only having 10 acres is a blessing as I can focus on eaking my 9 holes and the property really nice.

DavidSauls 05-27-2014 09:56 AM

Or, if you're really ambitious, create one fabulous course with the best of all 3 sections. Then, come back and create the three sectional courses, employing the same holes. So that if your super course has 6 pondside, 6 creekside, 6 woods, go the pondside area, use those 6 holes and create 12 more.

One day, visitors to the Cincy area will be asking themselves, "Idlewho?"!