Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rules Questions & Discussion (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Newb question about throwing (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135604)

Rayph1n 12-28-2019 02:34 AM

Newb question about throwing

I have been focusing on my form and using the one step drill in my practice routine and it has really helped to get my throw in sync and help with a lot of other issues I'm having. My question is are you aloud to use that during a round? Like if I tee off can I just do a one step throw? Would this also be considered a run up when using it from the fairway?

I googled a bunch and couldn't find anything and the rules didn't say anything specifically about this.

DavidSauls 12-28-2019 07:10 AM

I'm not sure what the one-step drill is, but this generalized summary might help:

Off the tee, at the moment of release, at least one foot must be on the pad. The other can be in the air, but not touching the ground off the pad.

For a fairway shot, at the moment of release, one foot must be on the lie (immediately behind the marker). The other foot can be anywhere on the ground behind the marker, or in the air.

The important part is "at the moment of release". Whatever happens before that moment, or after that moment, doesn't matter. (Once you're within 10 meters of the basket, "after that moment" matters, but I presume that's not what you're thinking about.)

Rayph1n 12-28-2019 07:53 AM

Thanks for the help. Basically the drill is the last part of the x step. Eliminates the run up to concentrate on reach back to follow through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pleUjYKwf0g

sidewinder22 12-29-2019 09:05 PM

Legal.

DiscFifty 12-30-2019 10:34 AM

I would also recommend learning how to throw form a stand still where you don't pick up either feet off the ground. Will come in handy for fairway/approach shots. The 1 step can be a little hard to always plant your lead foot behind the marker.

ToddL 12-30-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3532195)
The important part is "at the moment of release". Whatever happens before that moment, or after that moment, doesn't matter. (Once you're within 10 meters of the basket, "after that moment" matters, but I presume that's not what you're thinking about.)

Do a run up, stand still, run 20 steps, take 1 step, do a somersault, walk on your hands ... absolutely none of that matters. The ONLY thing that matters is what David said above. One point of contact has to be right behind your disc, and no points of contact can be closer than your disc. (And you do it within 30 seconds and donít break any tree limbs in the process)

zontar 12-30-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddL (Post 3532681)
Do a run up, stand still, run 20 steps, take 1 step, do a somersault, walk on your hands ... absolutely none of that matters. The ONLY thing that matters is what David said above. One point of contact has to be right behind your disc, and no points of contact can be closer than your disc. (And you do it within 30 seconds and donít break any tree limbs in the process)

you can walk on your hands, but must hold the disc in your teeth. if disc touches the ground, it's a penalty stroke, I believe....:\

cheesethin 12-30-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zontar (Post 3532720)
you can walk on your hands, but must hold the disc in your teeth. if disc touches the ground, it's a penalty stroke, I believe....:\

I believe... that what you believe... is not true. [emoji16]

You can drag the disc along the ground if you want. There's nothing in the rules about what a disc touches. The propulsion and release of a disc in order to change is position defines a throw. And coming to rest defines 'the end' of a throw.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

zontar 12-31-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesethin (Post 3532743)

You can drag the disc along the ground if you want. There's nothing in the rules about what a disc touches. The propulsion and release of a disc in order to change is position defines a throw. And coming to rest defines 'the end' of a throw.

dang. now I have to completely rethink my "hand-walk x-step" that I was crushing with:|

araytx 12-31-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zontar (Post 3532720)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesethin (Post 3532743)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zontar (Post 3532858)
dang. now I have to completely rethink my "hand-walk x-step" that I was crushing with:|

I. B. L.