Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rules Questions & Discussion (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   SLIDING A DISC (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135671)

GTdisc 01-06-2020 12:32 PM

SLIDING A DISC
 
Hi,
I just saw a video on Facebook... In heavy wind, this guy slide his disc along the snow-covered ground to get close to the basket. Is this legal, or does the disc have to leave the ground first?

Future_Primitive 01-06-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTdisc (Post 3534338)
Hi,
I just saw a video on Facebook... In heavy wind, this guy slide his disc along the snow-covered ground to get close to the basket. Is this legal, or does the disc have to leave the ground first?

Completely legal. Not much different than doing a roller, throwing it towards the ground and letting the disc do the rest. :thmbup:

GTdisc 01-06-2020 12:40 PM

To clarify, the disc started on the ground... Here's the video

https://www.facebook.com/udiscapp/vi...=group_comment

JC17393 01-06-2020 12:41 PM

802.01 Throw
A. A throw is the propulsion and release of a disc in order to change its position.


Seems to me that sliding a disc on the ground consists of propulsion and a release, with intent to change its position. No reason for it to not be a legal throw.

zenbot 01-06-2020 12:45 PM

I don't see anything that specifically states that the disc needs to leave the playing surface (aka ground). I have concerns about the stance taken to make such a shot. Technically, a supporting point needs to be behind the previous disc thrown or a marker so how could you simultaneously satisfy that rule while pushing the disc so it's not touching the ground beyond that point?

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

802.01 Throw

A throw is the propulsion and release of a disc in order to change its position. Each throw that is made as a competitive attempt to change the lie is counted.

Future_Primitive 01-06-2020 12:47 PM

Thanks for the link, never saw anyone lay it on the ground and push it before. Have seen plenty of folks throw it an inch or two above the ground a little bit and slide the rest of the way. I guess I would agree with JC above and consider it legal.

I do have a question as to where his thrown disc or mini marker was in the video. If its at his knee then this is appears to be close to illegal as his off hand is a supporting point and must be behind the mini/disc. Tough angle and no mini in sight so I cant say for sure, but that would be the closest thing to making it illegal.

markmcc 01-06-2020 12:55 PM

I agree. The supporting point seems to be the issue. I assume that he is using the disc itself to mark his lie, as otherwise he would be pushing through a mini or another disc. Doing that, I don't think he can push that same disc forward as his "throw". It would seem to put his "supporting point", at least briefly, in front of the lie.

Pretty smart way to play that shot though...

kenjiac 01-06-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenbot (Post 3534346)
I don't see anything that specifically states that the disc needs to leave the playing surface (aka ground). I have concerns about the stance taken to make such a shot. Technically, a supporting point needs to be behind the previous disc thrown or a marker so how could you simultaneously satisfy that rule while pushing the disc so it's not touching the ground beyond that point?

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

802.01 Throw

A throw is the propulsion and release of a disc in order to change its position. Each throw that is made as a competitive attempt to change the lie is counted.

I feel that this shot could be legal but the one in the vid is not. You need to have a mini to mark your lie and release the slide prior to going past that mini. So in this vid for example the thrower should have marked the lie with a mini moved his left hand behind that mini and slid the disc with his right releasing the slide prior to crossing in front of the left hand and it would be legal.

JC17393 01-06-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjiac (Post 3534374)
I feel that this shot could be legal but the one in the vid is not. You need to have a mini to mark your lie and release the slide prior to going past that mini. So in this vid for example the thrower should have marked the lie with a mini moved his left hand behind that mini and slid the disc with his right releasing the slide prior to crossing in front of the left hand and it would be legal.

Need a marker disc for a legal lie, yes.

Need to release the disc behind the marker...no. Please cite the rule that requires the disc to be released behind the marker to be a legal throw.

99% of throws in the air are released in front of the marker rather than behind it. Why should a slide "throw" be any different?

Future_Primitive 01-06-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 3534377)
Need a marker disc for a legal lie, yes.

Need to release the disc behind the marker...no. Please cite the rule that requires the disc to be released behind the marker to be a legal throw.

99% of throws in the air are released in front of the marker rather than behind it. Why should a slide "throw" be any different?

I am guessing due the thin line between his pushing hand also being a supporting point. Because the disc is on the ground and his hand is pushing it while it stays connected to the ground it would be best if it was released while behind the lie to avoid a lengthy argument on what qualifies as a supporting point. He is pushing down on the disc while sliding it forward, if he is still pushing down past the lie does that constitute it being a supporting point? Does the disc being between his hand and the ground somehow nullify his hand being a supporting point?

Not sure why he wouldnt just put a knee behind the mini marker and just toss the disc a few inches in front of him just barely off the ground. Would achieve a similar result without any controversy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.