Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   DB-5 vs Disc Catcher Sport (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3824)

CincyRocs 06-04-2009 08:12 PM

DB-5 vs Disc Catcher Sport

I'm going to get a basket so I can practice putting and what not. I was just wondering everyone's opinion on these two baskets and what they recommend.

billnchristy 06-04-2009 08:16 PM

I don't have either (have an instep) but if you are leaving outside buy the DB-5.

If you are babying it save the $80-100 and buy an instep and spend another 20 on chains (which you will probably need on the other 2 also)

scarpfish 06-04-2009 08:21 PM

The DB-5 is better. Its actually one of the best products Lightning makes.

Roc1Time 06-04-2009 08:53 PM

Discatcher sport. I have 6 of them and they are great!!!!!!!!!!

gusc2375 06-04-2009 08:59 PM

I will just throw out an diffrent choice the DGA M-14 light weight brakes down to 5 parts and can leave outside. I have got mine in Dec. it has been great could use a second set of chains but not catching everything also makes me focus more on the sweet spot. Just to cloud the water.

paulrothley@msn.com 06-04-2009 09:01 PM

Phantom Falls DGC has all DB5's and they are holding up well and work great outside.

Magnus 06-04-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusc2375 (Post 71659)
I will just throw out an diffrent choice the DGA M-14 light weight brakes down to 5 parts and can leave outside. I have got mine in Dec. it has been great could use a second set of chains but not catching everything also makes me focus more on the sweet spot. Just to cloud the water.

I just added a DGA M-14 as my second basket. I added the second set of chains and it is very nice. I highly recommend it.

Chucktown 06-04-2009 10:26 PM

I have a Disc Catcher Sport, no complaints, leave it outside year round here in Missouri and the only thing is that the yellow around the top has faded. But the DB-5 looks like it is a little more solid. The basket and chains look a lot thicker. But they both have the same chain count. Really just down to preference and price I think.

Dthunderchicken 06-05-2009 03:44 PM

I purchased a DB5 last year. It's good and heavy and will take a very hard putt without moving. Most of the weight is in the basket. (I like that)

The base is pretty light duty. It's a split collar welded to three spokes. (I don't like that) When placed on a hill it leans more than it should due to the base being split. I believe that I will have to replace the base some day. When I do it will be with something heavier. (Pipe and a flange welded to four spokes)

I also don't like the cheap threaded connections that hold it together. (They tapped the pipe that the basket, base and top basket attach to. This pipe is rather thin) I expect that some day I will have to address these by drilling them out and using a pin (or bolt) to hold things together.

I added an inner set of chains, but not an extra ring. I sized the chains to connect to the existing ring. These were interspersed between the existing chains. (You can really gun a putt at it)

All things considered I like the basket. It just has a few little material flaws. IIRC I got it from Disc & Dat for $175 plus free shipping. That was the best deal I could find. Whatever you get I'm sure you'll like having DG in the back yard. I certainly do. :)