Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

McCready 04-08-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjnoodlearm (Post 3572646)
I'm amazed at how casual people like you are about wanting to force people to "stay home" and damn the economic consequences.

There are plenty of downsides to doing it.

Are the downsides worse than the collapse of our healthcare system and millions of deaths?

Hampstead 04-08-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjnoodlearm (Post 3572646)
I'm amazed at how casual people like you are about wanting to force people to "stay home" and damn the economic consequences.

There are plenty of downsides to doing it.

Yeah, who cares if 500,000 or more die so long as we can get that economy going.

Amirite?

Emoney 04-08-2020 10:07 PM

If the economy crumbles and we get all post apocalyptic, at least i get a fighting chance.

I would rather go that way then with a plastic bubble over my head in a makeshift hospital where my family cant even say bye.

Ppl need to prioritize.

davetherocketguy 04-08-2020 10:26 PM

Well if the economy doesn't get going again here are some things we won't be able to do...build new hospitals, pay health care workers, fund vaccine research, buy covid test kits, purchase ventilators. Yeah, who pays for all that? You and me. If we aren't working what orifice do you expect to pull that money from? Gonna suck real bad with understaffed hospitals because no one can pay the workers. How do you get treated for covid with no one working in the hospital?

Then there's the whole collapse of the economy thing where there's no food on the shelves. Starvation is a real sonofabitch. Death from starvation is kinda the same result as death from corona because you know...death.

Take it a step further, no money for building/repairing roads. How many collapsed bridges with people on them are going to happen? Remember I-35 in Minnesota? Don't think it'll happen anytime soon? Just ask the folks of Joliet, IL what they think of I-80 over the river in town. And speaking of road maintenance, how many more will die up north here because we can no longer afford to plow the roads?

Then what about EMT's, fire fighters, police, etc etc...How many will more die because we couldn't put out house fires in time?

Oh and then there's no funding for public utilities. No clean water is kinda hard to live without. Ever hear of Flint? Would you like to have a hundreds of Flint type situations all across the nation because there's no money left to properly maintain and treat water supplies? I hear cholera is a real peach and kinda deadly. And how awesome would it be for our health care system when people are getting poop related diseases because sewers keep backing up?

I could go on and on (oops I already have)

Yeah, I kinda care if we can't get the economy going again because well...a lot of lives depend on it.

Hampstead 04-08-2020 10:32 PM

Yeah, and a lot of lives depend on not spreading the virus.

davetherocketguy 04-08-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3572679)
Yeah, and a lot of lives depend on not spreading the virus.

Right and at what point does the cure become worse than the disease? I'm not seeing anyone anywhere addressing that question which is why I am asking...For every life we save now under lockdown might cost us 10 in the near future.

Hampstead 04-08-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3572680)
Right and at what point does the cure become worse than the disease? I'm not seeing anyone anywhere addressing that question which is why I am asking...For every life we save now under lockdown might cost us 10 in the near future.

This isn't going away anytime soon. Could possibly come back worse in the fall. We are navigating uncharted waters right now and if we "reopen" the country prematurely in order to jumpstart the economy, the death tolls will be considerably higher. Now is not the time to act prematurely. As has been said before, we don't determine the timeline, the virus will determine that.

LateWesternSky 04-08-2020 10:47 PM

Recovering from a down economy will be less of a hardship than dealing with this virus if it gets seasonal and starts to mutate.

This is one of the most contagious viruses we have seen in our lifetimes, and it has a deadly component where it can wreck people who are otherwise heathy.

YOU as an individual may have a harder time dealing with the economy, but WE will be better off if we squelch this thing.

BogeyNoMore 04-08-2020 10:48 PM

Dave,I get your point, but what I think you're failing to factor into the equation is, of the two scenarios (i.e. prolonging economic downturn and reducing spread of virus, vs. improving economy and increasing viral spread), is: immediacy.

If everyone returns to life as normal while this thing hasn't peaked yet, or is peaking, were gonna have massive #'s of deaths, not only from covid, but from all the other critical crap that puts folks in hospitals, because our hospitals simply can't deal with the rate of patients coming in.

Point is, we've never dealt with a global pandemic before. Doesn't seem there was much of a game plan, or that if there was,... all the key players knew when and how to execute it.

Bad as covid is, I'm actually kind of glad is not something that has an even higher rate of mortality. Hopefully, the whole damned world writes down more than a few "lessons learned" on what to do next time something like this occurs.

In retrospect we should have done the stay at home thing about at least two weeks earlier, if not a month.

davetherocketguy 04-08-2020 10:49 PM

Ok well we'll just stay locked down until 2021.

The riots in the streets over food are going to be awesome to watch.